AMD Catalyst 13.8 BETA (13.200.0.0) Download

red1776

The AMD Frame Pacing Crossfire Release
Copied from Asder on guru3d.
Download AMD Catalyst 13.8 BETA (13.200.0.0 July 23) Driver. This Beta driver works with Windows 7 and 8.

Release notes are currently unavailable.

Build Info:
DriverVer=07/23/2013, 13.200.0.0000
13.20-130723a-159703E-ATI
Catalyst: 13.8
CCC: 2013.0723.1944.33607
D3D: 9.14.10.0989
OGL: 6.14.10.12438
OCL: 10.0.1272.2

http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/amd_catalyst_13_8_beta_(13_200_july_23)_download.html

Screams with glee

I have been wondering when this update would come out. Want to see what games get a performance boost!

Driver seems to be fine on my wife's machine but is really giving me the blues on my daughter's machine. May take a little work but hope to have things ironed out on her machine soon. She needs smooth performance for FFXIV ARR in a few weeks.

I wonder if they will add this support to DX9 games in the future. I remember AMD said they would release the WHQL version of this driver in July. I guess it was delayed for further testing.

Driver seems to be fine on my wife's machine but is really giving me the blues on my daughter's machine. May take a little work but hope to have things ironed out on her machine soon. She needs smooth performance for FFXIV ARR in a few weeks.

Did you use the uninstall utility and then install?

I wonder if they will add this support to DX9 games in the future.
Supposedly so, although it seems that Eyefinity (inc 4K) and three way CrossfireX are ahead of it in the queue.
Some more reviews...
Anandtech
PC Perspective
Hardware Canucks
HardwareLUXX (German)
PCGH (German)
ComputerBase (German)
HardOCP
Tech Report
...and those jokers at HardwareHeaven trying a different approach by using a fictitious 346.41 Nvidia driver and completely missing the point of frame pacing.

I initially tried just uninstalling the drivers manually - then got into a nasty blue screen loop and couldn't even get booted into safe mode. I finally booted to a last known good config and ran Display Driver Uninstaller 3.6.1 and was able to get things installed successfully. All is good with both of the Radeon machines now.

BTW - I'd really like to hear how Red is reacting to these drivers.

So far for me, I have only played BF3, LoL, and a bit of Tomb Raider on it. Tomb Raider seemed to act differently than normal to me at least, but ive kept the frames locked at 60 in Eyefinity and it seemed like it was a bit more stable in that setup than before (Dunno if I was just expecting it and false believing this is true, or if it really is, I did keep the fps monitor on screen, but nothing else). That's about the only difference I really noticed, BF3 acted like it always has for me which was smooth and locked at 60 along with LoL which really does not take much to run on Ultra. Ill have to try some other games on it, but all in all, seems like a good improvement to me at least. I need to try Bioshock Infinite on it and see how it performs.

Anyone else tried anything?

I initially tried just uninstalling the drivers manually - then got into a nasty blue screen loop and couldn't even get booted into safe mode. I finally booted to a last known good config and ran Display Driver Uninstaller 3.6.1 and was able to get things installed successfully. All is good with both of the Radeon machines now.

They seem to be working very well so far. I am not sure about this urgency to "fix" 3 & $ card crossfire. The fix for 3 and 4 crossfire is , well the third and fourth card. They may want to have a look at rendering methods when it comes to eyefinity , but I have yet to have a situation when adding a third and/or 4th card did not cease the problem with 'runt frames' if you Google it, you will se that many reputable tech sites have come to the same conclusion.
I was tracking this before it became all the rage it is now.
this is one I tracked right after the release of the 6000 ATI series.
dirt 3 frame render_3.jpg

They seem to be working very well so far. I am not sure about this urgency to "fix" 3 & $ card crossfire. The fix for 3 and 4 crossfire is , well the third and fourth card. They may want to have a look at rendering methods when it comes to eyefinity , but I have yet to have a situation when adding a third and/or 4th card did not cease the problem with 'runt frames' if you Google it, you will se that many reputable tech sites have come to the same conclusion.
The only problem is that the runt frame issue and stuttering issue is that they don't appear to be necessarily the same thing although they both relate from frame pacing. The issue with runt frames was denoted by screen tearing where only a portion of the frame was being drawn before the next is dispatched
bf3-runt-tearing.jpg

whereas the stutter issue tends to be a (sometimes) visible delay in posting the next frame in the sequence- from my understanding this originates from #2, #3, and #4 cards vRAM buffers flipping their content to the output (primary) cards vRAM buffer. One scenario is ripping through frames faster than is necessary. From what I've read, the runt frame issue was the easiest to cure (culling redundant draws). I don't think anyone is reporting the "runt frame" issue as anything other than fixed.
The second issue of stuttering still looks like a work in progress on three card CFX judging by PC Per's quick assessment (not sure why they covered it TBH when AMD themselves noted that 3CFX was an ongoing project), which seems valid considering the latency variations involved with data transfer between cards over both PCI-E.

Yeah , but what makes this interesting is that I am not running into 3 and 4 card problems. the runt frames or bad frame pacing has largely been a function of two card crossfire. The current gen of cards has gone to AFR only, but with the previous gen 6XXX cards , when using eyefinity and more than two cards I captured what was a switch to 'supertiling ' rendering seemingly without penalty. I am taking a leap of faith and surmising that they figured out a solution with the GCN arch as it is back to AFR rendering now.
I will admit to a bit of sour grapes because I was tracking this before it became all the rage with the "new metric" of frame pacing and was shouted down.
At the time (and well after I started graphing this stuff) Tom's came up with this conclusion)

From Toms Article: Micro-Stuttering And GPU Scaling In CrossFire And SLI
For some reason, the third GPU almost always eliminates micro stuttering and has a less-pronounced effect on performance

There were many more that concluded the same.

Yeah , but what makes this interesting is that I am not running into 3 and 4 card problems. the runt frames or bad frame pacing has largely been a function of two card crossfire.
PC Perspective obviously disagrees. As does Dave (cadaveca- the AMD afficiando/mobo reviewer) at TPU...amongst others- although Dave seems to have what seems to be a more obvious set of well documented issues with tri-fire with Eyefinity.
The current gen of cards has gone to AFR only, but with the previous gen 6XXX cards , when using eyefinity and more than two cards I captured what was a switch to 'supertiling ' rendering seemingly without penalty.
Unless you're using an OpenGL app. Likewise, Super Tiling seems to be taking a backseat now that Tessellation and Direct Compute are making their way into games. Advanced geometry has always been a problem area for Super Tiling since the geometry needs to be calculated piecemeal ( in a series of individual pixel blocks, and with a duplicated GPU workload). With Tessellation, geometry and hull shading now becoming major resource areas in the graphics pipeline, you can see why that rendering mode has largely fallen by the wayside. It certainly isn't talked up in recent AMD literature.
I am taking a leap of faith and surmising that they figured out a solution with the GCN arch as it is back to AFR rendering now.
You can thank tessellation, and direct compute post-processing effects (ambient occlusion etc.) for that state of affairs.
I will admit to a bit of sour grapes because I was tracking this before it became all the rage with the "new metric" of frame pacing and was shouted down.
I remember well our previous discussions on the subject. TBH though, I think that the subject has been tabled many times before, but it wasn't until guys like Scott Wasson ( 2 years ago!) began quantifying the measurements that people started taking notice. Of course, once every reviewer and his dog jumped on board, it was just a matter of time before we got an official response.

Display Driver Uninstaller? That is new. I cant seem to find it.

BY DBZ
PC Perspective obviously disagrees. As does Dave (cadaveca- the AMD afficiando/mobo reviewer) at TPU...amongst others- although Dave seems to have what seems to be a more obvious set of well documented issues with tri-fire with Eyefinity.
Oh I am aware of that, and it it a real head scratcher. for every one that I can find that concludes that side of things, I find a group that finds the opposite. The eyefinity throws a different aspect into it, but straight up tri and quad I have folder after folder of data that demonstrated that a third and fourth card is a 'buffer' and or preventative, if you will. I am compelled to go with my mapping/graphing/testing results though. Although I am trying to keep an open mind. It does seem odd (and I cannot ignore) that the "okey-dokey" was 1)done by group consensus. 2) provoked a lot of people who were otherwise not complaining about this problem before this came along 3) That it was quite a scoop to 'innovate ' a new and exciting metric for benchmarking.

By DBZ
Unless you're using an OpenGL app. Likewise, Super Tiling seems to be taking a backseat now that Tessellation and Direct Compute are making their way into games. Advanced geometry has always been a problem area for Super Tiling since the geometry needs to be calculated piecemeal ( in a series of individual pixel blocks, and with a duplicated GPU workload). With Tessellation, geometry and hull shading now becoming major resource areas in the graphics pipeline, you can see why that rendering mode has largely fallen by the wayside. It certainly isn't talked up in recent AMD literature.
Then you might also remember that I did a lot of digging (and did not stop until I got to the right person when I noticed that supertiling did not seem to forgo effects like advanced DOF, and shared parallel graphics memory and wanted to know why this was.

By DBZ
I remember well our previous discussions on the subject. TBH though, I think that the subject has been tabled many times before, but it wasn't until guys like Scott Wasson ( 2 years ago!) began quantifying the measurements that people started taking notice. Of course, once every reviewer and his dog jumped on board, it was just a matter of time before we got an official response.
That would be the sour grapes part.
anyway, not picking a fight here with you or anyone else. Just been a laundry list of things that I was studying, submitting, and finding answers to that were ignored until it was 'told us' that it was the best thing since sliced bread.
Since I first started my pursuit of this now called 'frame pacing' my situation has changed and there are many things that I cannot add for obvious reasons, so I will leave it at that and stick to my own personal folders full of findings.

I was tracking this before it became all the rage it is now.
this is one I tracked right after the release of the 6000 ATI series.
View attachment 76667

Yeah ive read the same thing on the Toms hardware
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stutter-crossfire,2995-6.html

It seems that just adding another card to a crossfire or SLI setup becomes less about straight up adding performance rather than just stabilizing the current setup. Most games ive played I have had the same results whether it be on my former GTX 580 SLI setup or my recent HD 6990's the games run very smooth even in eyefinity (The only games ive actually had issues with were Far Cry 3 and some random frame drops on TOmb Raider that don't seem to happen anymore). I think a lot of this hype for the Latency wagon can be attributed to just the Higher resolutions and leaps in technology over the years. We are getting to a point where graphics are so high and games are so demanding that squeezing every bit of performance out of our video cards is making us seek out more problems than are really present.

Edit: Oops I noticed you posted the same article Red1776, my bad, didn't know you had already mentioned it :p

Oh I am aware of that, and it it a real head scratcher. for every one that I can find that concludes that side of things, I find a group that finds the opposite
Well, PC Perspective only tested Sleeping Dogs, so it may be an isolated case...although I would think it should easy enough to test for if you have the right hardware, a copy of FRAFS and some game benchmark software.
Although I am trying to keep an open mind. It does seem odd (and I cannot ignore) that the "okey-dokey" was 1)done by group consensus.
A little harsh considering a lot of the European based tech sites have included qualitative as well as quantative measurements for years. Even mainstream English speaking sites have explored the issues in the past (e.g. this from four years ago)
2) provoked a lot of people who were otherwise not complaining about this problem before this came along
Yes, quite the cause célèbre. Likewise, how many people that did complain about the issue got shouted down by the overprotective fanboys? Even now, you can find deniers that claim there were never issues and that AMD's mea culpa and consequent driver revision are nothing more than a placebo to placate the press.
3) That it was quite a scoop to 'innovate ' a new and exciting metric for benchmarking.
Are you surprised when a new paradigm enters the technology arena and everyone jumps on it?
Once upon a time, efficiency, and even power consumption itself weren't even considered part of graphics card reviews.
Then you might also remember that I did a lot of digging (and did not stop until I got to the right person when I noticed that supertiling did not seem to forgo effects like advanced DOF
No reason why it should. DoF is Gaussian blur filter applied to a completed frame (computed at the end of the pipeline after pixel shading). Geometry and Tessellation are applied during the frames construction. Even simple geometry requires a certain amount of overdraw to allow congruency between adjacent pixel blacks for transformed vertices, so each GPU is responsible for mapping vertices not only of its own pixel blocks but those of the adjacent ones as well- a workload that increases markedly once you introduce tessellation- a huge increase in vertex sets

As an aside, of all the issues concerning SuperTiling, the one that bewilders me is that it doesn't work with OpenGL, yet the original rendering workloads used by Evans and Sutherland were exclusively OpenGL.
346.41?? What the heck xD.
HH are always good for a laugh. They are also the only review site that seems disappointed with the 13.8b driver
So what do we make of that lot? Well overall it's hard not to be a little underwhelmed
Seems they were expecting some large performance increases, as opposed to fixing the frame pacing issue that everyone else was expecting (and thankfully received).

Yeah - I normally just use the AMD one as well, but that's what got me into that BSOD loop this time. I'm sure it was just some extra crap that was installed on her machine causing some sort of conflict. Anyway, this other utility helped me out this time so I'm pleased.

For me at least, ive only ever had one issue with uninstalling/switching drivers on the 6990's, I had one time where the picture quality after uninstalling became totally un-readable, dark, and messed up/washed out. It was so bad I could not figure out where to click on the windows that would pop up to install the drivers, I had to literally get another computer and figure out where the mouse was to click and install the drivers. But this happened to me almost a year ago now and never happened since.

Got 13.x but not this latest beta. Gives too much issue in HDMI to HDTV or HDMI. I also use it on DVI connection. On another monitor.

Back