AMD CEO accidentally reveals Windows 10 will launch in late July

Scorpus

Staff member

Microsoft has continued to be relatively vague about when Windows 10 will launch, repeatedly saying that the OS is coming "this summer." However it appears as though AMD CEO Lisa Su has spoiled Microsoft's surprise, revealing a more specific launch timeframe for Windows 10: the end of July.

Su revealed the launch timeframe while responding to a question during AMD's latest earnings call. Speaking about inventory plans, Su said that "with the Windows 10 launch at the end of July, we are watching sort of the impact of that on the back-to-school season, and expect that it might have a bit of a delay to the normal back-to-school season inventory build-up."

The launch timing makes sense, as Microsoft and its OEM partners could be looking to boost Windows system sales during the back-to-school period with the launch of the new OS on new devices. By many reports Microsoft has also already entered the feature lockdown stage for Windows 10, indicating the OS is well on its way towards being shipped.

However, a July launch frame is only three months away, and judging by the latest Technical Preview builds, Microsoft still has a long way to go before Windows 10 is polished and bug-free. No doubt the company is working hard on cleaning up the code and ensuring it works smoothly, but there is still a lot of work to be done if they do intend to launch the OS at the end of July.

Permalink to story.

I hope this is not true, in it's current form Win10 works really poorly compared to a RTM release.
I don't think there is any way it can be brought up to RTM standards in such a short timeframe!

I hope this is not true, in it's current form Win10 works really poorly compared to a RTM release.
I don't think there is any way it can be brought up to RTM standards in such a short timeframe!
I dare say that whatever build Microsoft are working on is quite a bit further ahead of what we're seeing in the Technical Preview. 3 months to polish seems like enough time, the back end is already very stable, its seems like it's mostly front end stuff like UI that they need to clean up.

I dare say that whatever build Microsoft are working on is quite a bit further ahead of what we're seeing in the Technical Preview. 3 months to polish seems like enough time, the back end is already very stable, its seems like it's mostly front end stuff like UI that they need to clean up.

This. Microsoft is well ahead of what we've seen in the public Technical Previews and even the leaked builds. Remember they have internal builds that not even some Microsoft employees have tested. The ring structure is Canary (Daily) >> OS Group >> Microsoft Employess >> PUBLIC Windows Insider (Fast, then Slow). The leaked builds we see are likely Microsoft employee builds, so we're not seeing what features & functionality the Canary and OS Group builds have implemented...we just know those builds aren't stable.

they just need to finish the UI and a few more apps. functionality wise it's almost complete.
and 4 months is a long time :D

PS: there are no "accidental" leaks like this. it was intentional to create hype for MS and win 10.

I thought the same thing. Currently windows 10 is like in alfa state.

I'm glad to hear you have more faith than me.
Looking back at previous releases just makes me conclude that Win10 must have gone gold just about now.
But maybe Nadella really has managed to make some changes internally...
Here's to hoping :)

Great. Who cares about Windows. How many viruses or stolen accounts do we have to deal with for running an OS that we have to all pay for? I run Linux happily, I play all my games, no virus, secure and it's faster. Much faster, much more stable.

Good for you Joel. You should stick to the topic though.

Windows 10 - I'll wait for other people to test it before I even install it.

AMD accidently releases a lot of things, most of them turns out to be bollocks. In that scenario it might be as well the July of next year. ;-)

AMD accidently releases a lot of things, most of them turns out to be bollocks. In that scenario it might be as well the July of next year. ;-)
neah, we already knew that MS was rushing windows 10, we just didn't know exactly when. people suspected that it will launch around august.
and with that said, it could still launch in august. late july might just be when win 10 goes gold.

Good for you Joel. You should stick to the topic though.

Windows 10 - I'll wait for other people to test it before I even install it.
I've been using it from the start. the latest build is currently very stable. I haven't had any bugs or compatibility problems. but it's still a beta product, some parts are clearly still not done yet (like the new UI, they are still changing things with every build)

You guys keep thinking that Windows 10 isn't done. You do realize and it seems most don't, you are using just a preview. Anyone with common sense knows that anything in a preview state is not the finished product.
Windows 10 is way further along than anyone even knows. It has been tested the last 8 months. Has been worked on for the last few years. MS will be ready to launch. Heck, I expected Win 10 to launch in June. Which would make sense since that is their next big update to the OS.

No matter when Win 10 launches, it'll be ready just as any other product. Like all OSes, it'll have bugs and will get fixed over time.

Great. Who cares about Windows. How many viruses or stolen accounts do we have to deal with for running an OS that we have to all pay for? I run Linux happily, I play all my games, no virus, secure and it's faster. Much faster, much more stable.
I don't know what you do with your computers but in the nearly 20 years I've been using Windows, I've never had malware or a virus. Only had one security issue with XP when that blaster worm reset the computer. Since Win XP SP2, I've never really had an issue.

I don't know what you do with your computers but in the nearly 20 years I've been using Windows, I've never had malware or a virus. Only had one security issue with XP when that blaster worm reset the computer. Since Win XP SP2, I've never really had an issue.

Joel is clearly a linux fanboy, I've also ran windows computer since 3.1 and no problems whatsoever with viruses or "stolen accounts".

Back