AMD CPU Running HOT!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

phoenix9

I am completly baffeled, no matter what i so i cant make my AMD Atholon XP 2400+ to run below 63*C.

I havent had any problem for two years but suddenly it has started overheating all the time.

When i first saw it was running around 69*C (my Mobo shuts it off at 70) i lowered the External Freq. from 133MHz to 100 and that has given me back 5*.

My CPU Fan is running 3792RPM

Im using the standard CPU Fan and heatsink (AMD Pack-in)
on a Asus A7N8X Deluxe (Rv. 2) (which reports a MB temp od 28-30*C)
along with a E-VGA nForce GeForce FX 5200 Ultra chipset AGP card (which has its own GPU fan).
There are four case fans, 2 intake (red LEDS) and two output that came with the case( Chieftec sever chasis wit 450w power supply).

I really have no idea what the problem is. could it be that the thermal compound has decayed or something? (like i said it ran for two years with no problems). Also right now the side panel of the case is open in an attempt to allow better airflow.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

First clean out all the dust bunnies form your system using a can of compressed air.

If after cleaning there`s no difference, then taking off the heatsink, and cleaning both it, and the die on your cpu may help. You can use a litttle isopropyl alcohol for this.Then reapplying some good thermal paste.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Other un-mentioned probs

Follow H²'s advice, this should help.
Are you reading this just from bios or you having
other trouble?
Like lockups, BSOD's reboots etc.
G'Luck
Let us know how it goes. :D

the real problem.

the mobo auto shuts down the computer (no warrning) if temp reaches 70*C, which is very annoying.

Yes it is very dusty (how much effect can that have on temperature?)

where does one buy compressed air? (off-line) (dont want to wait for shipping)

If your system is very dusty it can have a big impact on your temps.

You will be able to get a can of compressed air from either, a hardware store or, an electronics components store etc.

Regards Howard :)

I wonder if your fan isn't running fast enough. My stock fan that came with my AMD cpu is running at about 5800 rpm at 45 C at the moment.

I seem to remember quite a few electricians posting here saying it wasn't dangerous. I've never had a problem with it myself (althoug I don't vaccum more then once every two months).

I'll try to do some research on the matter.

hmmm i wonder if the problem was just the frequency, ive left it running idle for a while, while i ate dinner and stuff and it got down to 61* (Which is still fairly high) im gonna try to dust it tommorow.

SOcRatEs said:
Check bios settings,
Cpu fan rpm settings may be too low.

I agree That could be an issue, what size fan is it? If cleaning the dust out doesnt help out (which it should) have you actually reseated the heatsink? Bad positioning can lead to bad cooling.

Sean

i havent been able tp get any compressed air yet. Im not sure what size the fans are (ive forgotten). Its been so long since i messed with a cpu that i couldnt get the fan off. (;_; ). when i pugged it in the first time after having it off and out. i went to the BIOS and watched the CPU temp rise from 42 to 50. then when i booted into windows my monitor myseriously says its back at 46 but ive now seen it climb back to 56. Im still confused but i hope its just the (massive amounts of dust).

(now it is at 57)
(make that 58)
(59)
(60 ;_; ) (note this is all within like 3 minutes and all im doin is watchin the temp and brwsing one forum)
(20 secinds later: 61!!!!!!!!!!)
(now its 62 im on the edge of tears)
(63: I CANT WORK LKE THIS!!!!!!!!)

I have an Athlon XP 1900+ and the thing has ALWAYS run hot for the last 2-3 (in the 60*s)... i must have tried 10 different heatsinks/fan combos.... i have 6 case fans as well. Despite this heat, it never has any problems... so don't fret too badly.

If heat botehrs you so much get a new Athlon 64, they supposedly run cooler than most CPUs... my 64 3800+ should be coming in the mail soon.

phoenix9 said:
Question: what should the idle temperature of an AMD Atholon XP 2400+ be?

This is not an easy question to answer, due to the many factors involved.

I.E Cooling/fans/environment/running proccesses etc, every computer will differ in some respect.

I would say that an idle temp of around 35° to 45° would be ok.

What temps are you actually getting?

Regards Howard :grinthumb

right now, 62 which is awfuly hot. i fianly got some compressed air. im gonna try dustin it in a few minutes (though ive never dusted with compressed air befor (sadly) so i might mess it up)

Make Sure BIOS is Current

BIOS updates have been known to fix misreporting of temperatures. Check for a BIOS update, maybe your BIOS is lieing to you.

If you've ever unseated the heatsink from the CPU, you should THOROUGHLY clean all heatsink compound/grease from the heatsink and CPU and reapply a fresh bead. Removing the heatsink from the CPU enables air pockets to form in the grease/compound layer and you lose a significant amount of contact between the CPU and heatsink. The layer of grease/compound should be extremely thin; applying too much grease/compound will cause the CPU to run very hot. I've read references that suggest a bead the size of a grain of rice. That is what I've applied to mine and it works well.

Make sure the surface of the heatsink is completely smooth - no scratches, dents, gouges, etc.

Dust traps heat, it acts as an insulator, it's a very serious problem. It also will prevent fans from spinning as fast as they should be and even stop fans dead so the CPU fries. It clogs the holes in the case and prevents ait flow in the case. Remove all dust frequently.

phoenix9 said:
(though ive never dusted with compressed air befor (sadly) so i might mess it up)

just a hint...dont hold the can upside down, to help prevent ice forming..unless you want to freeze bugs (try it)

Sean

well i dusted everything and now its running about 38-39*C (big jump). of course that comes with the trade off that after i plugged everything back in the computer booted once no problems, then locked up. when i rebootedd it, it decided my hard drive was missing, then i unplugged it and replugged the power and IDE. suddenly my NTFS partition is corrupt and wont boot windows. i try everything i can think of (windows recovery console, partition managers, linux install cds, linux live cds) everything says the partition is corrupt. then i go and download Hiren's boot CD to try and recover some of it. I when i boot up i dont put the CD in fast enough and lo and behold.. suddenly i boot into a perfectly funtional windows XP. I SWEAR MY COMPUTER IS PART OF AN EVIL PLOT BY M$ TO TORTURE ME. as soon as i get the time this computer is headed right back to Gentoo. In the mean time it looks like problem solved.

(Also: i managed to almost get frostbite too :giddy: )

well... it seems my computer had a relapse of sort. about two hours after i posted the message, it locked up again and upon restart would not boot to windows.
After som use of H'sBCD6 i managed to get it to boot again, albeit very slowly (last trial 1min 53 secnds, but before that 3 minutes 17 seconds from POST results to useable desktop).

Every time windows runs now it goes immideatly to light-blue screen CHKDSK which reports several sectors (if u want the numbers ask and ill reboot) as unreadable, and the first time it ran it recovered many orphaned files including atapi.sys (which would seem rather important). If i allow CHKDSK to run it hangs after completing step 3 of 3 (security something verification i think). If i skip it (like i did on my time trials) everything boots, but runs rather slowly.

what can i do to fix the apparently corrupt NTFS system (other than reformatting)?

(i realize this is really a different question then that of the thread but it is related so i didnt want to create another one)

I don`t think there`s much you can do other than a reformat.

I`m not sure if doing a repair install would help in this situation, but I guess its worth a try. Look here for instructions on how to do a repair install.

Regards Howard :suspiciou

Your HDD is bad or going bad

It sounds like your hard drive is bad. Do you have SMART enabled in the BIOS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back