AMD/Dual channel memory combo = decreased speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

penguinrusty

Hi, I have a computer with a DFI Lanparty Nf4 sli-dr motherboard, AMD Athlon 64 3900+, and 4 sticks of 512mb of PC3200 ram. I had a friend tell me that because of the way i have it set up (the ram along with the processor) that because of AMD's memory controller archetecture it will slow my memory down to PC2700 (333mhz), but if I only had 2 1gb sticks it would be at it's supposed clock speed. Is this right?

Yes, that's the correct speed.

You likely have nothing to worry about as you have a newer CPU.

Older Socket 939 CPU's with their built-in memory controller had problems using 4xdouble sided sticks of ddr400, and thus would run 2x = ddr400 speed, but 4x at ddr333 speed.

Newer CPU's dont have this issue. You're cpu likely doesn't have this issue.

Sharkfood said:
Yes, that's the correct speed.

You likely have nothing to worry about as you have a newer CPU.

Older Socket 939 CPU's with their built-in memory controller had problems using 4xdouble sided sticks of ddr400, and thus would run 2x = ddr400 speed, but 4x at ddr333 speed.

Newer CPU's dont have this issue. You're cpu likely doesn't have this issue.
Yea, I just read up on it and it's mostly just an issue with the Manchester 754's.

I do believe even newer CPUs have problems when all 4 memory modules are double-sided. But if they're single sided you can all run all 4 modules @ PC3200 with 1T command rate (which wasn't possible previously).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back