AMD Duron @ 0.13 coming up...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lokem

Just noticed this bit over at www.xbitlabs.com:

AMD's Response to New Celeron (Willamette-128)

Posted 4/03/02 at 1:07 am by Rat

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/story.html?id=1017814067

It has been no secret for anyone for a long time already that Intel is going to move the entire value Celeron family to a new Willamette-128 processor core. The new Celeron processors, which are to be announced so time after May 20 will have Pentium 4 architecture with smaller 128KB L2 cache, will work in Socket478 and feature the initial core clock frequency of 1.7GHz. This will be no happy turning for AMD, because Celeron (Willamette-128) will work at much higher clock frequencies than the budget solutions from AMD Duron family.

Therefore AMD has to undertake something in response. Luckily, a new 0.13micron Appaloosa core is to come soon, and it is intended exactly for Duron processors. However, Appaloosa, which is a direct successor to the currently used Morgan core doesn’t have any architectural differences from its predecessor and feature 64KB L2 cache. It means that by simply shifting the whole Duron family to a new 0.13micron Appaloosa core AMD will not solve the problem.

As a result, AMD will undertake a number of marketing moves. Firstly, as soon as Duron migrates to Appaloosa core, all the CPUs will start supporting faster bus. All Duron processors working at over 1.4GHz core clock frequency (these will be the ones to start using new core) will support 266MHz bus. Secondly, in order to enable the users to compare adequately the performance of the new Duron (Appaloosa) and Celeron (Willamette-128), the new low-cost AMD processors will acquire the same performance rating marking as Athlon XP have. The Duron name however, will stay.

The first Duron (Appaloosa) with 266Mhz bus and marked with a new rating are preliminarily scheduled to appear in early Q3’02. At that time AMD is going to announce Duron 1600+, 1700+, 1800+. These three CPUs will feature the actual clock frequencies of 1.4GHz, 1.46GHz and 1.53GHz respectively

More power for lower prices! Yeaho! :)

any time you get more for less is Great! unless your getting something bad like..... a caning.. or.... oh never mind:blackeye:

we got so many of these 1 post amd news articles, should we sub-divide & merge w/ other categories?
Palamino, T-Bred, Hammer?

I think we should, uncleel. I've been guilty of this a couple of times myself. :)

One of the mods should put up a stickie about the newest AMD and Intel chips and open the discussion for just that stickie so we will not have to post new news every day that it comes out in a new thread.

I agree also, we have alot of both AMD and Intel stuff, we should either have just a CPU subject or an all AMD thread and all Intel thread. I have been guilty myself and actually had to search for news I have posted to reference someone else's question.

Go for it !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back