AMD graphics cards return to normal prices, R9 280 now $250

Scorpus

Staff member

The prices of AMD's graphics cards have finally returned to normal levels in North America, following months of inflated prices and limited supply, due to the boom in cryptocurrency mining.

Popular retailer Newegg is now listing all Radeon R9 cards at or below their recommend retail price. This means top-end cards like the Radeon R9 290 and R9 290X are available for around $400 and $550 respectively, while the R9 280X sits at $300, the R9 270X at $200, and the R9 270 at $180.

It's typical to find these cards for lower than their recommend retail prices though, so it's worth shopping around. However, if you're looking for a custom cooled model of the hot R9 290 or R9 290X - which we'd definitely recommend over a reference-cooled card - expect to pay just slightly over AMD's suggested price.

Meanwhile, AMD has officially lowered the price of the Radeon R9 280 from $280 to $250, allowing it to slot exactly in between the R9 280X and R9 270X in AMD's high-end line-up. Many retailers and manufacturers haven't yet pushed through the price changes, with most cards selling for $270 at the moment, so it might be best to wait a few weeks for prices to drop.

Permalink to story.

Well mining is dieing out due to that last change in the dogecoin block amounts.

Good to see prices stabilizing.

Perhaps AMD has some sense in pricing graphics cards - they are going to sell a lot more of them at these prices IMHO, than they would have at the higher prices. If Titan Black is ever released, it will have to be priced on par.

Perhaps AMD has some sense in pricing graphics cards - they are going to sell a lot more of them at these prices IMHO, than they would have at the higher prices. If Titan Black is ever released, it will have to be priced on par.

AMD had nothing to do with it. It were the laws of free market. I'm guessing they will drop a bit. Some miners will sell their cards. I predict a good amount of R9 280X and HD 7970 Ghz in the market only used for mining.

AMD had nothing to do with it. It were the laws of free market. I'm guessing they will drop a bit. Some miners will sell their cards. I predict a good amount of R9 280X and HD 7970 Ghz in the market only used for mining.
Does that kind of intensive processing harm the GPU?

Does that kind of intensive processing harm the GPU?
It will wear out like a normal GPU if you have it running under cool conditions such as a water cooler. It will however, be harmed if you keep it running for long periods of times at high temperatures.

R9 290s are selling for ~$200 - ~$250 used now.
Now that's a decent deal, new 280x for $250 isn't too great.
AMD knew this would happen, that's why they bumped prices when they did. They have already made compensation for any loss, due to massive second hand resale.

Actually LiteCoin mining is very high at the moment. DOGE is quite high too. However, the crypto-currency value is very low, plus mining difficulty high. At current rates, a new graphics card would not pay for itself anymore. You would be lucky to pay for your electricity these days.

Do you even tech?

Do you even tech?
Three out of three wrong, I'm guessing the answer is no.
1.The market is flooded with second hand Radeons, so even selling at MSRP is going to be an uphill struggle. Bust follows boom - not an unusual occurrence.
2.The Titan Black actually launched three months ago.
3.The pricing on the Titan Black has been $1K since that launch.

Last I heard, ASIC's for Litecoin mining were expected by July of this year. Yay for gamers! But mining has/will hurt AMD more than some of you may realize.

Picked up a 270x last month for £130, which works out about $200 anyway, happy with that deal! Came with a free portable phone charging brick, just wish I had spent a bit more on processor, went with the amd 6 core fx-6300, even with it overclocked with an aftermarket cooler, wish it was a bit faster!

Hardly, concurrently we could really (HOPE) expect some shine on more power efficient cards than those 220W+ power hogs (aka. R9 280X aka. HD7970) released THIRTY MONTH ago. Only bad thing is another TSMC's delay from two years succession litography to three PLUS years scheme. and we all suffer. especialy if The Companies only Indulge Themselves in Name Rebranding Schemes we're witnessing for more than half a decade now. If I want a card and play alot I'd just go with cheaper 750Ti card or build SLI around it as it would save me for a huge power bill in only six month time whie on the other side we have only similarly priced but trully mediocre hd7790 (now rebranded as r7 260x) which aint good enough to compete with poor old powerhoggy chap 650Ti

We really need more incentiive on AMD side in delivering better chips thru three year periods than we saw now. and nvidia is just playing same game only throwing a bone hear and there. Sour truth.

Last edited:
Actually LiteCoin mining is very high at the moment. DOGE is quite high too. However, the crypto-currency value is very low, plus mining difficulty high. At current rates, a new graphics card would not pay for itself anymore. You would be lucky to pay for your electricity these days.

It may be do to the recent Gridseed ASIC miners. They have been really selling these past months and are very power efficient so GPU mining is just out of the game.

It may be do to the recent Gridseed ASIC miners. They have been really selling these past months and are very power efficient so GPU mining is just out of the game.

Yes, it could be.

I have had a look at Gridseed, and the ones from mining-asics-technologies. It looks like they are starting to come out, and probably some being tested. As for cost, they could work out as about the same price as a next gen GPU per M/Hash, but using considerably less power.

Hardly, concurrently we could really (HOPE) expect some shine on more power efficient cards than those 220W+ power hogs (aka. R9 280X aka. HD7970) released THIRTY MONTH ago. Only bad thing is another TSMC's delay from two years succession litography to three PLUS years scheme. and we all suffer. especialy if The Companies only Indulge Themselves in Name Rebranding Schemes we're witnessing for more than half a decade now. If I want a card and play alot I'd just go with cheaper 750Ti card or build SLI around it as it would save me for a huge power bill in only six month time whie on the other side we have only similarly priced but trully mediocre hd7790 (now rebranded as r7 260x) which aint good enough to compete with poor old powerhoggy chap 650Ti

We really need more incentiive on AMD side in delivering better chips thru three year periods than we saw now. and nvidia is just playing same game only throwing a bone hear and there. Sour truth.
AMD remind of American super cars eat a lot of juice and only movable in a straight line. As someone who prefers a silent PC I will be going with Nvidea as they are much more efficient and the higher cost is offset with lower power requirements.

Back