TechSpot

AMD Hawaii R9 290X GPU specifications leak early

By Shawn Knight
Sep 19, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Specifications on AMD’s upcoming Hawaii R9 290X GPU have hit the web a week before the silicon is scheduled to be unveiled. The 28nm chip, based on AMD’s second generation Graphics CoreNext microarchitecture, is expected to go head to head...

Read more

2. Ranger1st

Ranger1st TS Enthusiast Posts: 274   +77

Waiting to upgrade my 6970.. although I've yet to play a game that's taxed it when OC'ed ( lost planet 3 on very high seems to push it )..

3. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,535   +327

Sounds promising, Would be nice to see ATI take the top spot again! Mainly because then 780 prices would have to come down and I can then afford to SLI mine xD

JC713 likes this.
  4. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,080   +920

Wow 38%. AMD really wants to stomp on nVidia. Let us hope their drivers dont hold them back xD!

H3llion likes this.
  5. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 925   +247

Specs look nice, but they always seem amazing at first.
    Only actual gaming results matter (to me anyways).

Do you play at 1366 X 768? Thats the only way a 6970 will crush everything. I remember plenty of demanding games with the eye candy turned up that made short work of my 6970 at 1080p.
    Not trying to knock your GPU or anything just saying.

6. Alpha Gamer

Alpha Gamer TS Booster Posts: 265   +49

Where do you live? 720p City?

Edit: Sorry for the bad joke. Send me a private message if you want a Crysis 2 steam cd-key or Battlefield 3

7. You're joking, right?

8. Xtreme gamer

Xtreme gamer TS Rookie Posts: 30

I don't understand all the tech jargon.
    Can anyone that does please explain if it up there with Titan performance for instance?

9. It should be faster than Titan by around 10%

10. PC nerd

PC nerd TS Booster Posts: 328   +38

What are you doing on this site if you don't understand technology?

11. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,978   +390

trying to understand technology.

LNCPapa, TekGun and mosu like this.

12. "What are you doing on this site if you don't understand technology?"

--> not every member here understand technology as well as yours

13. gamoniac

gamoniac TS Enthusiast Posts: 242   +55

If you know enough, you know you don't know enough.

Renrew likes this.
  14. Everyone talks about 38% more cores but noone speaks about 17% less speed than 7970GE. With these numbers it should be between GTX780 and Titan performance wise. But... We need to know about boost. If the boost is high enough it will be able to be at the same league as Titan for sure. As AMD states: "We will see at 25th of September"...

15. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,967   +738

Boost frequencies (and it should be dynamic- more along the lines of what Nvidia utilize) will depend upon power draw. Assuming that the design is similar to Tahiti/Pitcairn then I wouldn't expect a high boost state since the board will likely also feature a maximum input power threshold. Tahiti is a 200 watt GPU in usual trim, adding 37.5%* more shaders will more than offset even the conservative clocks reminiscent of the initial HD 7970. The design probably won't see its real potential until high clocked vendor designs arrive (I.e an MSI R9-290X Lightning or Sapphire Toxic) just as the 780's performance increases markedly with relaxed voltage control.

* The 2816 shader number really only works if the uncore ( memory control & interface, I/O, thread dispatch) remains essentially unchanged from Tahiti (I.e basically tacking extra shaders into the design). The uncore makes up just over half of the die area in Tahiti. Multiplying the remaining die space, 170mm², by the percentage increase in core count (37.5%) makes the design "do-able" within the quoted 430 mm² - Tahiti's raw die size being 352mm² (365mm² with die packaging).

16. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,420   +821

You're not alone brother. :)

17. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,420   +821

Fair enough. I don't know enough, but for me, I know enough. For a lot of people, enough is never enough. Enough said.

18. godrilla

godrilla TS Rookie

4 more days till gk 110 discounts!

19. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,967   +738

Closer to a month. Nvidia won't cut prices until the competition hits the (r)etail shelves.

BTW: Here are pics, some purported benchmarks (card is apparently OC'ed to maximum stable clocks of 1020MHz core, 5 GHz effective memory) and specs (supposedly 512-bit hence the lower memory frequency). The card is obviously an engineering sample so you would expect the production card to clock higher than this.
    Overclocked performance works out to be +1.7% (1920 res) and +4% (2560 res) over the stock Titan, and +7.8% (1920) and +11.6% (2560) over the stock GTX 780 using the highest image quality settings of each benchmark.
    [​IMG]
    If the 950-975 base frequency is on the money then that puts stock vs. stock at around (maybe a percentage point or two higher) GTX 780 levels.

Get ready....
    Get set....
    ARGUE!

Burty117 and godrilla like this.
  20. godrilla

godrilla TS Rookie

Impressive thanks I really hope these are true

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.