AMD, Intel six-core processors to arrive starting March

By Jos
Jan 29, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AMD has made no secret of their plans to release at least one six-core desktop processor in 2010, codenamed Thuban. Intel on the other hand hasn't been as forthcoming, but thanks to numerous leaks, and even some early benchmark results, we do know the company has a 32nm six-core chip up its sleeve, which is dubbed Gulftown and will be branded as Core i7 980X.

Read the whole story
  2. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,985   +66

Thats great; I think if AMD can successfully compete against the Core i5s and Core i7s (8xx series) that will be fantastic; and as I've heard few rumors that these chips aren't exactly flying off the shelves (probably due to current pricing); any form of decent competition may force Intel to lower prices and bring them to bit more reasonable levels as well.
  3. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,276   +176

If that would be the case, I'd just as soon get AMD and not be concerned whether or not Intel lowered their prices to compete. :)
  4. Archean

A very compelling argument at that :D
  5. .

I agree. AMD's price and product also needs our support for quality competition.

6. Puiu

Puiu TechSpot Booster Posts: 990   +82

I'm going to remain silent until some official benchmarks arrive.
  7. Gulftown will be hypertreaded yielding 12 effective CPU's. The question is will AMD's hexcores follow with some sort of 'hypertreading' to compete? AMD will need to work hard to regain equity with Chipzilla since their also 32nm vs. AMD's 45 nm. Most of us want competition to bring prices back into the reality zone, IMHO $500 should be the upper limit of CPU pricing. Chipzilla needs to lower prices and take advantage of volume marketing not leaving a majority of consumers to only dream of ever getting their hi-end CPU's. Mass etailers like Newegg will then be shipping i7 980x faster than a gatling gun spraying bullets.
  8. Archean

Fair point; but in reality we don't live in such ideal world. Beside big corporation's are being run with one single objective i.e. 'profits'. Hence the importance of competition, and fierce one at that is what I'd like. Which unfortunately, is not the case at this moment.
  9. It's good to see AMD needing six cores to achieve to what lower end intel 4 cores can already ...

But it will be the benchmarks that show the real winners here.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.