TechSpot

AMD launches mobile Kaveri APUs at Computex

By Scorpus
Jun 4, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. AMD is ready to complete their processor product stack with performance-oriented Kaveri mobile APUs. The company claims these chips have an "unmatched" feature set, including the same x86 Steamroller cores found in desktop Kaveri variants, a GCN GPU that supports...

Read more

2. It is not about independence. Nor is it about interdependence. It is about accurate dependence, or “accurate representation” of the architecture of a structure, which exists in one environment, once it has been transposed into another.

With transistor based computation, it is about who can most accurately represent the logic of the functions which form that tasks of the applications that the user is likely to run on the product.

From DW.UK

3. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,354   +109

I want to see the real numbers but if they boast that better results than intel counterparts it sounds awesome.

4. Scorpus

Scorpus TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 654   +81 Staff Member

I can't say their numbers are always correct, but usually when AMD says they have a performance advantage it can be backed up with data.

What they don't show is usually more interesting, eg. how power consumption and battery life compares

5. Gaara

Gaara TS Rookie Posts: 66

So AMD FX-7500 beat i7? .... can't wait!! to see more review about this new chip.

6. They are claiming higher GPU performance (which is no surprise), not higher CPU performance. The benchmarks shown in that image above with 56% and 52% advantages are a graphics benchmark and a GPGPU (OpenCL) benchmark. On CPU performance alone, I wouldn't expect that much difference between Piledriver and Steamroller modules (meaning Haswell cores should still be faster).

7. GhostRyder

GhostRyder TS Evangelist Posts: 2,273   +542

Its mostly the factor of good balance that makes this a compelling chip. If your spending the money on a high end gaming/media editing laptop, your going to have a discrete GPU and some massive horsepower to back it up from the CPU. That's not what these APU's are, imagine a balanced laptop that will perform on par with a more expensive laptop without the price. Playing BF4 on medium at 1080p on a laptop with discrete graphics is beyond impressive even if the FPS is around the 30's. Its going to be a good value for money chip and I guess we can finally see the area Kaveri will really shine.

8. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,354   +109

@Guest: If you were so kind as to read the graphics and system performance.

To me system performance sounds like computing power, maybe I'm wrong.

9. The "system performance" part is from Basemark CL, an OpenCL benchmark that uses both the CPU and GPU.
    It's not benchmarking "2 Haswell cores vs. 2 Steamroller modules", it's benchmarking "2 Haswell cores + 20 execution units" vs. "2 Steamroller modules + 6 GCN compute units", and it's exactly the 6 compute units that make the AMD chip come out on top.

10. GMJ004

GMJ004 TS Rookie

System performance is PCMark8 on "Home" setting not BaseMarkCL. (Look at slide 3)

Sure, PCMark8 is not pure x86 but it does give a balanced measurement of PC performance.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.