TechSpot

AMD launches ten 8-core and 12-core server CPUs

By Jos
Mar 29, 2010
  1. AMD today officially launched its latest offensive against rival Intel in the server market, releasing a line of 8- and 12-core processors referred to as Magny-Cours. The chips feature a new 45nm design made up of two processor dies (with 4 or 6 cores each) sharing a single CPU package, which will fit in a brand-new G34 socket, while offering newer I/O technologies and four DDR3 memory channels for supporting up to 12 memory modules per processor.

Read the whole story

2. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Evangelist Posts: 991   +90

So that is what they've been up to for the last while.

3. BlindObject

BlindObject TS Rookie Posts: 412

...someone tell me why I need 12 cores.

...and how does it run Crysis? =D

4. vangrat

vangrat TS Rookie Posts: 223

First off I hope you are joking

from a Virtual platform point of view a 12 core processor would be awsome for a corporate environement. Being able to consolidate all of your servers onto one beefy machine is what this is all about. Nothing shocks execs more then telling them that you took 30-40 servers and got rid of them all and now run everything off of one main and one backup server.

5. vangrat

vangrat TS Rookie Posts: 223

Although...now that I think about it, real time ray tracing would be nice 8 cores was supposed to be the minimum from what I remember in order to have this,

6. vipervoid1

vipervoid1 TS Rookie

Finally , coming to catch up Intel ,
    GO , GO , GO .. AMD...

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.