Amd motherboard and CPU - won't boot up - power comes on and stops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please help!!

I have a AMD 1600+ cpu and motherboard; the power turns on and just quits; I have replaced the power supply; still no go! I took out the CPU and the the power supply stays on when you turn it on; therefore, I thought I had a bad CPU; I replaced the CPU and and still no go! The power turns on for a couple of seconds; I tried resetting all my components on the motherboard; still nothing. Do I have a bad motherboard? Any suggestions before I buy another MB. Thanks.

In order to help you we need your full system specs.

Please fill these out in my.TS.forum at the top of the page(click on edit profile)

We also need to know what was happening before you started having this problem I.E Have you installed any new hardware software etc?

Also when you took out your cpu and put it back did you use any new thermal paste or pad?

Regards Howard :grinthumb

Howard,

I left the system on overnight and it was not working when I woke up; I originally thought the power supply was dead; I replaced that; I bought a used CPU from ebay after I thought it was my CPU because I took out my original CPU and their was power to the MB. When their is no CPU in the MP; the power supply stays on; with the CPU on the MB; no go with the power supply - the fan clicks on for a few seconds and shuts off. The MB is a MSI MB with 2-256MB SRAM (133mHz) and a 1600+ CPU; the power supply is over 400 watts.

Mmm it`s not looking very good is it?

Did you use new Thermal Paste when you put the heatsink back onto your cpu?

This is very important.

Maybe you`ve got a dead mobo I hope not but it is a possibility.

Regards Howard :confused: :confused:

Howard,

I did not use new thermal paste; their was some reside left over from the other CPU; the PC only tries to start and it dies (the power stops).

I don`t know what else to suggest!!

It seems to me you`ve tried all the right things

Only thing left is to try a new mobo.

Sorry I can`t find a better solution for you.

Regards and good luck Howard :confused:

Pull the MB out of the case and put it on some newspaper.
Hook up the PS and video card ONLY (other than RAM and your HDD).
See if it starts (you will need a jumper on the header for the power switch since the cable won't reach the front of the case).
Can you get into the bios?

Get some thermal paste. Don't reuse the old stuff.

I cannot get into bios; when the CPU is out the power supply stays on and nothing happens; with the CPU in the power supply comes on only for 1 second; then it is dead.

Sudso

There may be a jumper that resests your MB CMOS. Look in your MB handbook to see if there is - try that. The other possibility is to simply take the battery out of your MB and put it back. Anything to reset the CMOS to default. This is a shot in the dark, but I have expirienced similar symptoms when the bios gets confused. If you already did this, disregard.

I just had to replace a MB because my PC kept rebooting for no reason. I had swapped out the PS, the memory modules, the disk drive and re-loaded the OS. Finally, a new MB, and that worked.

Good Luck.

I've had this exact problem before. In my case it was caused by capacitor failure on the motherboard. It's a VERY common problem with motherboards of a certain age.

Double check the electrolytic capacitors on your motherboard (the large cyclindrical components soldered vertically). They typically have a 3 way folded seal on top of them. When the capacitor fails, the seal bulges, and eventually splits. (Sometimes you'll get a residual deposit left, which is a good tell tale sign).

Refer to this URL for more info - there's also a gallery so you can see actual examples of the failed capacitors.

http://www.motherboardrepair.com/

If this is the problem, the easiest solution, sadly - is to scrap the motherboard.

-Rich

IF it is a blown cap, it's no deal to replace them, especially the larger caps around the processor. Surely isn't expensive. Also look for brown spots on the board. If you have a magnifying light use that and look the board over.

Have you tried other memory or moving the stick(s) to other slots?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back