TechSpot

AMD next-gen Radeon 'Hawaii' graphics cards expected in October

By Shawn Knight
Aug 21, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. AMD is reportedly preparing to mass ship their next generation high-end GPU codenamed Hawaii in October according to sources in the upstream supply chain as reported by DigiTimes. When you consider AMD is flying a number of journalists to Hawaii...

Read more

cliffordcooley likes this.
  2. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Evangelist Posts: 1,570   +387

Just in time for BF4. I'm kinda hoping my 7870 won't be enough for it (medium detail).

3. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Lol I have an ATI 5730. How do you think I feel xD. I was able to play BF3 at 40fps on medium. I am hoping to play BF4 on low. I am waiting for the beta to decide whether I can run it.

4. GhostRyder

GhostRyder TS Evangelist Posts: 2,187   +587

Cannot wait, I'm considering grabbing some Hawaii gpus to quad up and replace my 6990s soon enough!

Jad Chaar likes this.
  5. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,434   +755

Just as I get GTX 660.
    I suppose such is the way of computer hardware...

6. Jad Chaar

Quad xfire is gonna cause you problems man. Triple is the most stable xfire nowadays.

ayman03 likes this.
  7. GhostRyder

>_< that's what I run currently. Ill probably wait/hope for the 9990 or figure something out (will also depend on if I grab the ivy-bridge e or steamroller chip).

ayman03 likes this.
  8. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,356   +303

I cant wait Im gonna get 2 8990's when they come out! For both mining and gaming :D

9. Jad Chaar

9990*. The 8000 series is a OEM rebrand. I dont think they will be called 9xxx series.

10. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,381   +2,777

Time for a Hawaiian upgrade. ;)

Jad Chaar, Chazz and GhostRyder like this.
  11. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,891   +1,254

DigiTimes should also believe Sapphire is on that list since Sapphires parent company (PC Partner) produces ALL reference AMD cards - Radeon and FirePro.

In related news, this would point to what a number of people have been surmising (ahem)- that TSMC's 20nm process isn't going feature by the end of the year and that the timing of 20nm and GDDR6 don't fit with AMD's/Nvidia's GPU cadence. The rumours that Nvidia's Maxwell will also continue to use 28nm initially also seem to be gathering traction.

12. GhostRyder

I like this name, stupid thing to like I know but the idea of saying hey I have an Hawaii GPU in my system just sounds awesome.

I plan on sticking with Quad CFX JC713, I just enjoy it too much now, its nice having the extra bang for when I need it :p Plus im crazy like that.

misor and cliffordcooley like this.
  13. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Evangelist Posts: 984   +86

Hmm I'll get to own a 9800 again, I'm intrigued.

Arris likes this.
  14. Jad Chaar

Too bad I have a laptop lol.

Puiu likes this.
  15. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,173   +1,846

Whats wrong with sticking with an ATI Radeon 9200 SE? I still have one somewhere. XD

16. RenGood08

RenGood08 TS Booster Posts: 185   +13

Hmmm interesting. I wonder what the specs will be on this AMD Hawaii. Will it have sunshine and ocean waves lol. Ahh I have a laptop, but I'm considering a tower.

17. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,381   +2,777

lol

It will also be released with new API called "Aloha". hahaha

18. RenGood08

RenGood08 TS Booster Posts: 185   +13

lol! That is so epic!

19. Lol same here, I've been waiting so long for another 9xxx to come by again just to say I can own one! The 9800 was god's gift to man back in the 90's.

20. dividebyzero

Unfortunately not. AMD's new naming system is apparently is supposedly moving from HD xxxx to Rx-Dxxx

21. cmbjive

cmbjive TS Booster Posts: 777   +137

Graphics cards? I'm still using the integrated graphics on my i7-3770k. If any of you wish to donate money to my graphics card fund...

22. dividebyzero

C'mon, think big...

cmbjive likes this.
  23. TechGamer

TechGamer TS Addict Posts: 364   +38

what games do u play then :S? thats like me 4 months ago saying that I game on a pentium 4 geforce 6200 :S buy a mid range card for 100 bucks and play on medium with playable framerates atleast