TechSpot

AMD or G-4

By 52Zebra
May 31, 2006
  1. Howdy, 52Zebra here, 52Zebra is my IL-2 Handle I pretty much use it everywhere. I have a 64-bit AMD Athlon tm 3000+. XP-Pro, 2 gig of ram ,the bios reads a clock speed of 200 kHz, how does that stack up agents a Mac power G-4.
    My AMD has run stable for a year now, no major problems .

2. 52Zebra

52Zebra TS Rookie Topic Starter

I not sure what that’s suppose to mean. If you are all hung up on grammar why did you even bother to answer my post? If that is an attempt at humor, pardon me but I don’t get it. It is a simple question, how does my AMD stack up agents a Mac power G-4?

3. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,715   +397

The 64bit AMD is far superior to the G4.

4. 52Zebra

Hey SNGX1275 , 52Zebra here thanks for answering to my post, My friend with his G-4 says the G-4 is the better computer , what info can I get that would allow me to win the G-4 verses AMD argument? and where can I get it?
    Most Mac users think Mac’s are superior and with out some solid stats I will not be able to make any headway on this subject.
    I use G-4 and 5’s all the time if a few recording studios I work in and they do not always work right. I haven’s had any problems with my AMD. Anyway Thanks again for your answer.
    Let me know if you have anymore info for me.

5. CrossFire851

CrossFire851 TS Rookie Posts: 766

NO, I mean re-wright

Well at least someone else understoud what he had ment. I had no clue what he was getting at that's, why I told him to rewright it. I don't see how making something understandable is funny?

6. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,345   +11

7. Spike

Spike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,168

thoug... besides the link that Mict just posted which you should undoubtedly read, if G-4 processors were so superior to k7 cpu's (or G5 to comparable x86 cpu's), why would Mac be ditching it's main advantage in favour of using Intel chips?

8. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,345   +11

Because of Performance/Watt ratio, mostly.

9. halo71

halo71 TS Rookie Posts: 1,090

HaHa! You mean immediately?

I know this is a dumb question, but where can you buy Mac's these days? I do not know a single person, other than my brother that uses them for video and graphics, that has a mac. Best Buys here sold them a few years ago but then stopped.

10. N3051M

N3051M TS Evangelist Posts: 2,115

The infamous Apple Shop.. among others..

Mac's are most famous for its desktop publishing, graphics design and also audio.. mainly because of its OS's stability, comparing to windows systems of course.

even if i do use and enjoy them, their mouses "click" me the wrong way :D.. and I'm still a creature of habit to the Windows systems...

11. 52Zebra

Wait a minute, I heard that load of BS and believed it for a while. When I was deciding weather to get a Mac or PC, I looked at the price, at the time the G-4 was 1600 with out a monitor. I decided to build a PC from the ground up and went with the AMD 64, all the parts came to 728 and I did not skimp on anything.
    When I was setting up my AMD to accept my audio interface/ M Audio Delta 1010,
    I loaded the drivers and configured the sequencer/Cubase SX and it worked perfectly the first time. My friend’s G-4 took five tried to recognize his MOTO crashing between tries and having to take the firewire card out and put it back in every time, is that the superior Mac technology that all the Mac-daddy’s talk about?
    As for Illustrator, Photoshop, Bryce-5, lightwave and 3D Max witch are all resource hogs, if you have two gigs or more of RAM onboard you will not have any problems running them on a Pentium or AMD since RAM is usually the issue with graphic software. Sorry, I do not see that a G-4 is all that superior.
    What I really need to win this argument is a documented comparison for an impartial entity with clout. Anybody know where I can find such a report?

12. N3051M

N3051M TS Evangelist Posts: 2,115

never said it was superior or sorts. just as a tool for any sorts of creative process its still good. no system is perfect mind you.. even i still use windows based pc's just because its convienient and familiar to work with (photoshop, protools, the works)

prices and problems are just mainly due to Mac's being mostly proprietry hardware and software, harder to come across in parts, and even harder to fix... (apple tech support sucks according to a friend of mine...), while PC's and AMD/INTEL stuff are much more easyer and therefor cheaper to fix and find parts without much hassle...

unfortunatly i dont have any links for you to follow.. just my input into the discussion :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.