AMD patent could enable hyperthreading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantasm66

Apparently, way back in 1999 AMD filed a patent which gives them rights to release a processor with hyper-threading technology. Entitled "Microprocessor configured to execute multiple threads including interrupt service routines", the patent outlines how a CPU can execute multiple threads concurrently.

So, its not outwith the bounds of possibility that we could see an hyper-threading enabled Athlon64 processor in the works for some time in 2003. Certainly, for AMD to remain as competitive with Intel as possible, it would be a smart move.

More here and The Inquirer.

Of course, AMD would call it something else...not 'hyper-threading'. And knowing AMD, their version would be alot more efficient, fast, and more useful (;) ;) nudge nudge). Ehehehehe...maybe "Pentispeed Architecture" ;)

SSE2 is just SSE2. Currently only Pentium 4's use it, but I doubt AMD will come out with it's own version.

hyperthreading is a hyped sh!t. it increases, but not as marketed.

it may be a bonus on the existing processor.

but for real performance, u still have to do physical SMP.

I would agree somewhat warr, games that don't support SMP are out of luck from HT enabled CPUs, but I think the fact that all of the P4's that use HT are over 3GHz, kind of makes up for it ;) It does hold some benefits, however, in things like compiling code, distributed computing, and serving. It does hold some performance increases, but it is exaggerated and is just another case of Intel trying to put as much distance between it and [size=1]the obviously superior[/size] AMD.

SSE2 instructions are allready included in the Hammer CPUs Veh.;)

HyperThreading stills adds a nice performance bump to the P4 architecture & the keyword here is free. Wether it works really well or not, it's up to you to decide to use it or not.

Intel is working on a new & improved version of HT for the Prescott core, scheduled to come out sometime next year. Maybe then it might really live up to its potential.

I know Didou, & not to mention the Athlon64's. I'm just saying they won't use their own version, they'll just use SSE2 ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back