AMD Phenom X4 955 crashing

DKRON

I am testing a home built pc to see if its possible to upgrade to play games on for a client, the specs are:

AMD II Phenom X4 955 Black Edition Processor (Standard CPU Cooler)
GA-MA790GPT-UD3H
Corsair XMS3 2x2GB DDR3
Samsung 750GB HDD
Antec BP550 Plus PSU

Its very slow and freezes inside windows when doing more then one task, CPU idles around 40-45 degrees at this point.
I believe the HDD is slowly dieing but all tests have pasted, used Mem86 and that also pasted. Tried to run Passmark Performance test 6 and the screen went black after 10 seconds of the CPU test, will run and pass both HDD and Memory parts separately but not the 2D test either. Computer is noisy but still running when the screen goes black and have to force restart it. CPU temp does hit 62 degrees before crash.

Any ideas would of helpful

(Update: Its the CPU cooler not keeping the CPU within workable temps, the max is 62 and its idling at 50 and struggling at that point, got rid of lots of virus' as well which has sped up the HDD)

Last edited:
You might try adding a good video card to be able to play decent games, and this may stop the crashing by freeing up some system memory...

You should upgrade to Windows 7... There is no more support from Microsoft any longer for XP

I would love to but they have ALOT of programs and games which are already installed and will prob be hard to re-install

The customer is always right :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back