AMD Processors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kf21291

I have heard that AMD's processors help protect against viruses:

this is what it said that I was reading:

"All AMD64 processors, including the AMD Athlon™ 64 FX, AMD Athlon 64, and Mobile AMD Athlon 64 processors, are enabled with Enhanced Virus Protection. With Microsoft® Windows® XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), you will be able to fully utilize the security technology*. By providing extra security at the platform level, AMD lets you easily embrace the future of computing. "

I think thats kinda cool if this is True.. :giddy:

It's not True, it's Marketing.

There is some truth in there but not enough to get all excited about it.

yeah, i need some opinions which processors are better. Pentium 4 or AMD. I believe that Pentium 4 is better because the speed is better, but AMD they have lower speeds puke: but the FSB is extremly high compared to what P4 has 400, 800...... So, i'm not sure what is better overall.

To be honest I have both. I have some AMD's that are great and I don't think I'll ever get rid of them. I recently came across a P4 machine that I'm really impressed with. Although its Ram is maxed and the Video card is amazing so I don't think it was a fair comparison. I have another P4 that i'm not really impressed with and I have a Celeron that depresses me. Depending on what your plan with your PC is, I don't think it'll really matter. AMD's last a long time but they run warmer. P4's run cooler and better when doing a lot of graphical processing. But AMD's seem to run more constant. This is just my personal opinion and experience. I'm sure other folks have other opinions.

crshoveride1 said:
To be honest I have both. I have some AMD's that are great and I don't think I'll ever get rid of them. I recently came across a P4 machine that I'm really impressed with. Although its Ram is maxed and the Video card is amazing so I don't think it was a fair comparison. I have another P4 that i'm not really impressed with and I have a Celeron that depresses me. Depending on what your plan with your PC is, I don't think it'll really matter. AMD's last a long time but they run warmer. P4's run cooler and better when doing a lot of graphical processing. But AMD's seem to run more constant. This is just my personal opinion and experience. I'm sure other folks have other opinions.

Sorry to call you out, but a lot of that is very wrong.

AMD Processors are NOT hotter than Intels processors. This has been true for a long time, since the Thoroughbred was released. The Intel P4 Northwood and especially the Prescott run hotter and louder (with stock fans) than AMD processors with stock fans. Especially throwing in the Athlon64, and comparing the estimated power dissapation of dual core P4s vs dual core Athlon64s, Intel cpus are MUCH hotter. Your information is bad.

Kf21291 said:
yeah, i need some opinions which processors are better. Pentium 4 or AMD. I believe that Pentium 4 is better because the speed is better, but AMD they have lower speeds puke: but the FSB is extremly high compared to what P4 has 400, 800...... So, i'm not sure what is better overall.

The Athlon64 is a vastly better performer than the P4 Northwood and P4 prescott (2.4 - 3.73ghz). Don't believe the hype. Don't believe AMD's hype either. There is no "800mhz" FSB for Intel nor a "1000mhz FSB" for AMD. Both P4 and AXPs use the same 133, 166 or 200mhz FSB. It is only "800mhz" in the same way that "DDR400" is "400mhz". The Athlon64 uses a new type of technology for communicating with memory that is vastly faster, but isn't "1000mhz FSB". Don't use any of those numbers as a measure of performance. What you want to look at for comparing performance are benchmarks, both artificial and real-world. There are hundreds of sites that feature these and are easy to find.

I agree

Im an Intel Guy, but i have to say that prescotts are like frying pans compared to AMDs.....

yeah i recently replaced my motherboard. Eversince I have done that trouble had begun. First i had some trouble turning on my computer but later got that done. Now when I turn on the computer nothing on my monitor displays and I know its plugged in and the computer is on. I am not sure what is not working I did computer guides and made sure all the connectors were in and all the plugs were where they suppose to be now I can't see what is the problem. Right now I am questioning myslef if the CPU is working properly?...

Maybe there's a conflict of some kind. For example, if the new motherboard has onboard sound and you installed a sound card, it may not boot.

I always go for AMD, they're usually cheaper, and there only 3 socket types it uses (al least for the past few year). To my knowledge Intel, over the same period of time must have gone through almost 5 sockets, making it even more difficult. Also I believe Athlons provide better performance than their Intel equivilents.

AMD desktop CPUs are always better than Intel alternatives in every area apart from one: pentium 4s are better for multitasking than Athlons. But since i need performance for games and not running a server, the choice to go with AMD was easy.

mailpup said:
Maybe there's a conflict of some kind. For example, if the new motherboard has onboard sound and you installed a sound card, it may not boot.

I haven't installed any sound cards I use the motherboards i'm not sure what is the problem. I believe there is somebody with this same problem. Help ME! :blackeye:

What is your new motherboard and the rest of your system specifications?

OK i got the problem solved after all I am right. The CPU isn't working :hotouch: its dead. Yeah I tested with my dell's processor cause i thought that the processor (3.0 GHZ Pentiem 4 Yeah expensive to replace if its dead) on the broken computer would make it faster but when I turn on the dell it was exactly like the broken computer. So in conclusion I turned on the broken computer with the processor of the dell (2.4 Celeron I know SLOW) and it started up properly all went smooth. Thank you guys your help. :D

So if you have this type of problem :
when you turn on your computer and only the power and nothing else is working properly like the monitor isn't displaying and things like that it means that you should check if your processor is working or not thank you!

Thanks for the info :). As I thought I mentioned, it was my opinion derived from past experience. I'm glad I was corrected though, it only makes my feeling about AMD's even stronger.
Soul Harvester said:
Sorry to call you out, but a lot of that is very wrong.

AMD Processors are NOT hotter than Intels processors. This has been true for a long time, since the Thoroughbred was released. The Intel P4 Northwood and especially the Prescott run hotter and louder (with stock fans) than AMD processors with stock fans. Especially throwing in the Athlon64, and comparing the estimated power dissapation of dual core P4s vs dual core Athlon64s, Intel cpus are MUCH hotter. Your information is bad.

I got one more question. Do you think that a Mobile Pentium 4 Processor will work or fit in a Desktop PC? The socket for the processor is 478 and the motherboard destop socket is 478. If you can then why they call it "Mobile?" other than the fact of a laptop processor.

There is a diff.

Kf21291 (or whatever the numbers are)

Im pretty sure (Techspot gods correct me if im wrong) that mobiles are socket 735 or maybe 479? not 478 like desktops. Mobiles run at lower clock speeds and use less power and gennerate less heat. I know there are adapters for 478 MBs to fit in Mobiles. I think Asus has one out.

Sean

mobile centrino type cpu's are 479 pin FSB of 400 mhz
centrino is marketing for the onboard video and wireless aspects.
most of the newer mobiles are pentium standard socket 478
478 pins fit a 478 pin socket (I could be mistaken as I have not seen a image of Pentium M with a higher FSB than 400,I have seen the pdf's from intel and they show standard 479 pinout)
the mobile centrino type are still 478 pin ,but not same config
so they only fit the 479 socket
2 co's make 479 boards DFI and Aopen mini atx asus has an adapter kit for only there boards
there are more special one's out there
speed step technology keeps the cpu's cool by lower the speed of cpu
as the demand lowers
the newer cpu's with faster FSB still get hot ,thats where the heatpipes come in with no less than 2 fans
I just purchased a intel designers atx socket 479 board and still gathering information.
I have posted pics of this board

thanks

Samstoned

Thanks for correcting me. I wasnt exactly sure. I looked at the CPU here
and assumed the 745 next to the name was the socket :knock: Another note on the adapter. Well at least the asus. I have heard alot of bad reviews on it. I think it was in Maxium PC. I would stay away from it.

Sean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back