AMD R9-290X Battlefield 4 pre-order and specifications

dividebyzero

Finally....
r9-290x_pre-order.jpg

According to those specifications, these are the comparisons- I doubt the card like any other boost assisted board will spend much time at its base frequency, so the lower number can be largely disregarded:

Single precision (theoretical): 4505.6 Teraflops at base clock, 5632 at max boost (as comparison GTX 780: 3978 base/4147 boost and Titan at 4500 base/4709 boost)

Pixel fillrate (theoretical): 35200 - 44000 MPixels/sec ( GTX 780: 41424-43296 and Titan: 40176-42048)
Texture fillrate (theoretical): 140800-176000 MTexels/sec (GTX 780: 165696-173184 and Titan 187488-196672)

7299 Swedish kroner equates to 843 Euro (somewhat higher than the GTX 780 on the same site but substantially lower than Titan) so maybe that BF4 package includes a free mercenary.

[Product page]

I find it to be very pricey, I am hoping and I do believe that the price will come down once its officially release,

Oh and in Sweden we have 25% VAT, so in US for example it should be cheaper.

However when I go into the website there is no r9 290x available so im not overly convinced about how legit 7299 SEK is :p

I find it to be very pricey, I am hoping and I do believe that the price will come down once its officially release,

Oh and in Sweden we have 25% VAT, so in US for example it should be cheaper.

However when I go into the website there is no r9 290x available so im not overly convinced about how legit 7299 SEK is :p
Well remember, this is the BF4 edition of the card by Asus, which means that it will include BF4, BF4 Premium (Which is like a 50 dollar map pack and stuff), and by the looks of it, and overclocked version of the card that's on a limited edition run. The price is a little high for someone like me who already owns BF4 (errr pre-ordered) and premium, but for someone else, its not that bad considering the specs.

Well remember, this is the BF4 edition of the card by Asus, which means that it will include BF4, BF4 Premium (Which is like a 50 dollar map pack and stuff), and by the looks of it, and overclocked version of the card that's on a limited edition run. The price is a little high for someone like me who already owns BF4 (errr pre-ordered) and premium, but for someone else, its not that bad considering the specs.

You might be right, but im still hoping for prices to come down :p

I chose to put my order on a UK site , deposit 100 pounds and then when actual release price is set you pay the rest or get a full refund if not happy, seemed ok since im not really sure if I can afford it ^^

Well remember, this is the BF4 edition of the card by Asus, which means that it will include BF4, BF4 Premium (Which is like a 50 dollar map pack and stuff) , and by the looks of it, and overclocked version of the card that's on a limited edition run.
It's a limited edition run because it includes all the DLC (expansions, add-ons, weapons). Other than that it is the standard reference card and is being offered by all the major AIB's.

U.S. price according to Newegg is $729.99. Looks like HTML fail for The Egg
36b.jpg

Which puts it squarely into the territory of GTX 780's factory overclocked well past GTX Titan performance, or ~25% more than a couple of 7970GE's.

Eh, $730. Not sure how that will fare vs nVidia competition, especially if they lower prices.

Eh, $730. Not sure how that will fare vs nVidia competition, especially if they lower prices.
Well remember, by going off of whats said and shown, the GPU is more powerful than a 780 and a titan meaning its better than a 1000 GPU (Like I said, going off the specs and all), so if it turns out with full on release benchmarks to be true, its a steal.

Plus these shown come with BF4 which is a 60 buck game and the Asus one has everything needed and more for BF4. So we will I guess have to see for ourselves.

It's a limited edition run because it includes all the DLC (expansions, add-ons, weapons). Other than that it is the standard reference card and is being offered by all the major AIB's.

Which puts it squarely into the territory of GTX 780's factory overclocked well past GTX Titan performance, or ~25% more than a couple of 7970GE's.

If that's the case, then by that measure its the most powerful single GPU (At least in gaming) that money can buy. Which will of course be nice and for the price, I guess you cant argue. However it would be nice to see the price lowered to $650 because I feel it would be a bit nicer for that area of price, beyond 700 just feels a bit expensive, though in the past that was how AMD/ATI did things.

Although a 200MHZ boost clock...wtf that is kinda odd, I don't think ive seen a GPU boost clock ever go that high before on a reference at least.

The BF4 bundle is worth a few bucks, so the standard card should be in the $600-650 price bracket alongside the GTX 780 one would think. On stock performance it is likely to be warranted. By all accounts the 290X sits between the 780 and Titan in averaged performance, which is good. What is not so good, is the reports that the 290X can't OC to any great extent (1400MHz core max on LN2 reported) likely due to the relatively anaemic 5+1+1 phase power its saddled with and the relative complexity -for an AMD GPU. If that is indeed the case then any non reference GTX 780 vendor special becomes a better prospect. The EVGA Classified at 12+2 phase 1300+MHz on air, likewise MSI Lightning (16+3 phase), and the myriad 8+2 phase -what the reference Titan should have shipped with- available to the Galaxy/KFA2 HOF, Palit/Gainward, Asus DCII, and Gigabyte Windforce3 rev.2
Well remember, by going off of whats said and shown, the GPU is more powerful than a 780 and a titan meaning its better than a 1000 GPU (Like I said, going off the specs and all), so if it turns out with full on release benchmarks to be true, its a steal.
False economy. Everyone knows the Titan is overpriced as a gaming card. Nvidia didn't include 6GB or ECC 72-bit GDDR5 and a 1:3 FP64 rate for gaming.
The 780 is the competition, not Titan. While the 290X seems a few fps better than the 780 at stock, anyone in the market for the card is going to want more than stock. The 1000MHz boost being 200MHz higher than base suggests two BIOS's (800/900 and 900/1000) which seems to account for the lack of further overclocking headroom.

The BF4 bundle is worth a few bucks, so the standard card should be in the $600-650 price bracket alongside the GTX 780 one would think. On stock performance it is likely to be warranted. By all accounts the 290X sits between the 780 and Titan in averaged performance, which is good. What is not so good, is the reports that the 290X can't OC to any great extent (1400MHz core max on LN2 reported) likely due to the relatively anaemic 5+1+1 phase power its saddled with and the relative complexity -for an AMD GPU. If that is indeed the case then any non reference GTX 780 vendor special becomes a better prospect. The EVGA Classified at 12+2 phase 1300+MHz on air, likewise MSI Lightning (16+3 phase), and the myriad 8+2 phase -what the reference Titan should have shipped with- available to the Galaxy/KFA2 HOF, Palit/Gainward, Asus DCII, and Gigabyte Windforce3 rev.2
Eh, that's not a horrible overclock, but not that amazing as well, guess we can wait and see if the Asus Direct CU II, Matrix, Lightning, or whatever else ship with some better overclockability. I personally am still holding off for the time being anyway due to the fact my cards actually did a bang up job on the Beta for BF4.

I just noticed all three versions MSI, Sapphire, and Asus are the BF4 editions with the box (I thought the other two were just coming with the game). Interesting...

Eh, that's not a horrible overclock, but not that amazing as well
Yeah, whatever.
You do realise that a Titan/780 will happily clock 1300+ on air, 1400+ on water, and ~1800 on LN2
guess we can wait and see if the Asus Direct CU II, Matrix, Lightning, or whatever else ship with some better overclockability.
It has already been established that AMD are taking the same tack as Nvidia did with the Titan. Reference only "for the foreseeable future". Just like the Nvidia with the Titan, AMD likely see the possible failure/return rate negative from over-overclocking more of a detriment than the kudos gained (which will be mainly aimed at MSI and Asus's ROG program anyway) from higher clock/power vendor models.

Yeah, whatever.
You do realise that a Titan/780 will happily clock 1300+ on air, 1400+ on water, and ~1800 on LN2

It has already been established that AMD are taking the same tack as Nvidia did with the Titan. Reference only "for the foreseeable future". Just like the Nvidia with the Titan, AMD likely see the possible failure/return rate negative from over-overclocking more of a detriment than the kudos gained (which will be mainly aimed at MSI and Asus's ROG program anyway) from higher clock/power vendor models.
Yea, so, the clock speed is already at 1000mhz on boost and compared to the titan and 780 that start lower than that (Minus the overclocked variants). Even saying the overclocks on LN2 was only at 1400, if it even hits 1100 that's still a substantial boost. Most people do enjoy overclocking cards especially if your in the market for something in this range, however, once again we don't have the card officially out. Until the actual card is out and we see overclocks, we an then judge it for ourselves like I have said in the past debates. Its proven time and again the press release or those special releases to review sites normally don't do as well as their actual released counterparts (The 4960X CPU in the first bit of reviews I saw said it overclocked atrociously, but now I have been reading people hitting close to the 5ghz mark).

Even so, I doubt it will get too much higher, but even if the cores can hit roughly 1200 with ease, then there still some decent overclocking headroom going from a base of 800 to 1200 is still substantial (Or 1000-1200 depending on how you look at it).

Even so, stock for stock, its the best GPU on the market and so far all that ive heard or seen point that way (From a gaming standpoint). When the real tests show up and its released, then we an talk about overclocks and how its real world performance is compared to the 780 or titan.

Back