AMD releases Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.3 drivers with loads of new features

Scorpus

Staff member

AMD has released a new set of graphics card drivers, Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.3, bringing a collection of new features as well as the latest optimizations for Hitman.

Hitman launches on PC on March 11th, and these new drivers include the necessary performance tweaks and Crossfire profiles for the game. Also included in this driver is an updated Crossfire profile for The Park, as well as decent performance improvements in Rise of the Tomb Raider (up to 16% better on Fury X series cards) and Gears of War Ultimate Edition (up 60% on Fury X series, and up 44% on R9 380 series).

The Radeon Software 16.3 drivers also introduce full support for Vulkan's initial release, allowing those with compatible GPUs to enjoy a low-overhead API in supported games and applications. The inclusion of this feature brings AMD's drivers up to feature parity with Nvidia's, which included Vulkan support in their latest release.

AMD has included several new features in this driver as well. Some of the new options and settings will be quite useful to some gamers, including per-game display scaling, support for two-display Eyefinity configurations, and the ability to disable some power efficiency optimizations through a 'Power Efficiency Toggle' on Radeon 300 and Fury X series GPUs.

AMD XConnect technology also debuts in Radeon Software 16.3. This technology gives gamers with supported Thunderbolt 3 laptops, such as the Razer Blade Stealth, the ability to run games on a desktop GPU in an external enclosure. The release notes for this driver suggest the feature only supports Radeon R9 300 series cards at this stage, with "plug'n'play support and an integrated management interface".

Other new features in this driver include a Crossfire status indicator, new language menu, and updated social links, along with a small collection of bug fixes.

As always, you can automatically install these new GPU drivers via Radeon Software, or alternatively you can grab a manual installer from our driver download section here.

Permalink to story.

Why would they release a new software version without new features? It's kind of expected isn't it?
The only AMD card I own is a business card given to me by one of their sales reps at a convention. :) lol (if I kept it)

Why would they release a new software version without new features? It's kind of expected isn't it?
The only AMD card I own is a business card given to me by one of their sales reps at a convention. :) lol (if I kept it)

AMD releases plenty of drivers that just have fixes and no new features.

You make it sound like every driver release is expected to have new features which isn't the case.

And please don't troll this thread like you did the Street fighter V one.

Let's just home that Microsoft learns and adapts .... and not by simply buying the people out!

I don't have to own AMD to understand that WHQL is always advertised and that AMD has released very few WHQL drivers the last 6 months.
I didn't say anything about nVidia and don't get why you did. Especially since I didn't say anything that wasn't true about AMD.

so what is this suppose to mean "That and these are AMD drivers."

AMD last WHQL driver is from December so about 3 months old.

And with the New Radeon crimson drivers they said driver releases will be slower and not as frequent.

AMD releases plenty of drivers that just have fixes and no new features.

You make it sound like every driver release is expected to have new features which isn't the case.

And please don't troll this thread like you did the Street fighter V one.
Once more, why would you release software if it is the same as the software already released? It has to have changes to warrant anyone downloading it, that change is a feature of the software. Hence, new features.....you either get it or you never will.

so what is this suppose to mean "That and these are AMD drivers."
Exactly what it says, "These are AMD drivers". And if they were WHQL, as rare as that would be, they would be labeled as WHQL. Getting a WHQL driver from AMD would be news everyone would be shouting about.

Exactly what it says, "These are AMD drivers". And if they were WHQL, as rare as that would be, they would be labeled as WHQL. Getting a WHQL driver from AMD would be news everyone would be shouting about.

Its the tone my friend.

And your choice of words.
As rare as that would be?
For someone that doesn't own a radeon I find it amusing!

Typical AMD.. update tells me I'm up to date. I've had it with AMD been running crossfire since 4870. Since 15.11 through 16.2.1 I've had nothing but trouble with my 390X.

Issues I have had or still have.
Just Cause 3 corrupted textures.
Can't control Crossfire in games I want them to run or disable it for games I don't want to run Crossfire.
Rise of Tomb Raider flashes.
Rainbow Six: Siege when in Crossfire corrupted texture
The Division looks like absolute crap and get flashing throughout.

Here's video of the flashing.

Reading the release notes for 16.3 haven't fix Tomb Raider, The Division, or Star Wars. How long has Star Wars been released?

Last edited:
Typical AMD.. update tells me I'm up to date. I've had it with AMD been running crossfire since 4870. Since 15.11 through 16.2.1 I've had nothing but trouble with my 390X.

Can't control Crossfire in games I want them to run or disable it for games I don't want to run Crossfire.

Reading the release notes for 16.3 haven't fix Tomb Raider, The Division, or Star Wars. How long has Star Wars been released?

It's easy to list issues but what have you done to fix the issues? It could be something as simple as a clean driver install or a bad card. The 390x is pretty much the same as the 290x and the drivers are very well ironed out for these cards. I've got bot Nvidia and AMD cards and cannot even remember the last I've seen flickering or flashing.

Allot of your issues are really the same thing in multiple games so you can rule out individual games / driver optimization for said games as the issue. It's most likely an unclean install or a bad card.

It's easy to list issues but what have you done to fix the issues? It could be something as simple as a clean driver install or a bad card. The 390x is pretty much the same as the 290x and the drivers are very well ironed out for these cards. I've got bot Nvidia and AMD cards and cannot even remember the last I've seen flickering or flashing.

Allot of your issues are really the same thing in multiple games so you can rule out individual games / driver optimization for said games as the issue. It's most likely an unclean install or a bad card.

Actually if you read the release notes AMD even states "know issues". AMD needs to stop adding new features and fix these issues. Since day 1 of Star Wars Battlefront release. On loading screen I get the flickering. Every single driver release since then AMD puts in the release notes know issues and this is always there. 16.3 isn't any different.

Not the card nor is it left over drivers. I uninstall, reboot into safe mode, run DDU, reboot, run CCleaner, install new drivers, and reboot. Cards have been tested individual in these games and furmark.

16.3 increased my temperature by 10 degrees playing The Division and throttles back GPU#1 to 300Mhz, but the temp stays at 95c. Once I'm done playing the temp drops back down to 39c. 16.2.1 my card idled at 29c and 85c with load. Now at idle the core goes from 300Mhz to 600Mhz every 8 seconds.

Dirt Rally runs great without any graphic issues.

I just played some Rainbow Six Siege. Not only isn't Crossfire isn't working the GPU Core clock is all over the place. It hits 1080Mhz there then the temperature hits 96c and then it throttles back because of the temp. Looks like my Oscilloscope trace ;).

WP_20160310_02_10_40_Pro.jpg

Went back to 16.2.1. I guess I have to wait for another release.

Last edited:
Actually if you read the release notes AMD even states "know issues". AMD needs to stop adding new features and fix these issues. Since day 1 of Star Wars Battlefront release. On loading screen I get the flickering. Every single driver release since then AMD puts in the release notes know issues and this is always there. 16.3 isn't any different.

Not the card nor is it left over drivers. I uninstall, reboot into safe mode, run DDU, reboot, run CCleaner, install new drivers, and reboot. Cards have been tested individual in these games and furmark.

16.3 increased my temperature by 10 degrees playing The Division and throttles back GPU#1 to 300Mhz, but the temp stays at 95c. Once I'm done playing the temp drops back down to 39c. 16.2.1 my card idled at 29c and 85c with load. Now at idle the core goes from 300Mhz to 600Mhz every 8 seconds.

Dirt Rally runs great without any graphic issues.

I just played some Rainbow Six Siege. Not only isn't Crossfire isn't working the GPU Core clock is all over the place. It hits 1080Mhz there then the temperature hits 96c and then it throttles back because of the temp. Looks like my Oscilloscope trace ;).

WP_20160310_02_10_40_Pro.jpg

Went back to 16.2.1. I guess I have to wait for another release.

I know of the "Known issues" section. Here is the link

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD_Radeon_Software_Crimson_Edition_16.3.aspx

The only issue you are having that is on there is from the division and that's to be expected, that's a new game.

According to hardware forms, Crimson should have fixed any raindow six siege issues. Many people who were having problems before-hand aren't after installing Crimson.

Can you try to run your Cross-Fire setup on a game that you know should run well (other than something you have tried so far)? Also, these two cards are the same right? You should also make sure that they are running the same memory type as well. Sometimes OEM will mix memory manufacturers on cards and that can cause issues in Cross-fire.

just do a clean install like how it's recommended. download the uninstaller from AMD's website.
and also, most of the bugs are not something that are from AMD's side, but from your side.
it's the same with Nvidia drivers too. updates tend to break stuff.

Not sure if this will help or not, but there's a tool for AMD cards that allows you to edit the cards core clock settings at the firmware level. I had to do this for my 5870s years ago to get them to maintain a stable clock speed and solve my flickering issue. The tool was called ATI Win Flash and allows you to download the cards firmware then I used ATI RBE to modify the clock settings for the VRAM and the Core clock raising all the minimum clocks to something a little more sensible, saved the ROM and flashed it back to my cards. This prevented the cards from throttling in 2D which was causing tearing on my desktop, and it fixed my 3D stuttering in games. Also this matches the firmware up on your cards, sometimes if you buy them on separate dates they could have different firmware revisions causing issues as well.

If these programs are compatible with the new GPUs from AMD it could be worth trying, just be sure to backup the original firmware from your cards in case you need to flash them back for RMA purposes.

Back