AMD to release hotfix driver addressing Radeon Crimson fan issue

Scorpus

Staff member

The launch of AMD's completely revamped driver, Radeon Software Crimson, hasn't gone as planned. Some users are reporting issues with GPU fan speeds after installing the drivers, with the driver utility limiting fan speeds to a maximum of 20% regardless of the GPU load.

The bug has caused both performance and heat issues on affected systems, as the graphics card isn't getting adequately cooled during intensive 3D applications. When the GPU reaches its thermal limit, it begins to throttle back clock speeds and voltages to prevent damage, affecting performance.

Not every user who installed the Radeon Software Crimson driver has run into issues with GPU fan speeds, and there don't appear to be any specific GPU models that are affected. In some rare cases users have reported that their cards have failed entirely due to overheating, though this could be a result of other factors as well.

In response to the reports, AMD has identified the issue and will be releasing a hotfix driver later today. When the driver is available, you can let the Radeon Settings utility perform an automatic update, or grab a manual download from the usual places.

In the meantime, users can temporarily get around the issue by manually switching their fan speed control to automatic in the Radeon Settings Global page, found under the Gaming tab. In that screen, under the 'Global OverDrive' tab, setting the fan speed switch to 'off' will make the necessary change. Unfortunately the setting is not persistent, and will need to be re-enabled after every reboot. You can also use third party software like EVGA Precision X or MSI Afterburner to manually change the fan speed.

Permalink to story.

Why not just use a 3rd party program to control the fan speed?
I use trixx with a aggressive profile,especially because it get's over 35/40 degrees here in Capetown and
I don't have a air-con in my room.

I'm on water and the fan on my rad for the gpu is manually controlled so not affected by this at all.

To people saying to use other software...
believe it or not, some people want to game without having to worry installing other software just because their drivers are breaking their graphics card. This post is why people still shy away from PC gaming. No one wants to install third party software just to make sure their graphics card doesnt melt.

There's also the control center, cnext.exe crash upon Windows shutdown
that isn't getting much attention in the reporting arena but is littered all over
the tech blogs.

I call these growing pains. :D We all knew that such a huge change will most like have a few bugs. (at least most aren't a deal breaker)
And I haven't had any problem on my laptop. I believe that all of these bugs come from the fact that people didn't do a clean install of the drivers. I used the utility given by AMD to remove the old driver and amd software.

To people saying to use other software...
believe it or not, some people want to game without having to worry installing other software just because their drivers are breaking their graphics card. This post is why people still shy away from PC gaming. No one wants to install third party software just to make sure their graphics card doesnt melt.
I would love to be one of those people but I have used AMD gfx drivers ;)

What's weird is that Auto fan control on my MSI Afterburner app got turned off somehow as well. Apparently 96C is when weird things start happening :/

I installed the day they were released. No fan problems, but the game I play the most, MotoGp 15 became unplayable with the framerate jumping up and down, it was unreal what it did to my eyes/perception trying to get a lap of the track in. Reverted to the last non-crimson driver, all seems well again.

Back