TechSpot

AMD turns a profit in Q3 thanks to custom PS4, Xbox One chips

By Justin Kahn
Oct 18, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. After more than a year of significant losses, AMD is back in the black. The company reported a profit of $48 million on $1.46 billion in revenue for Q3 2013. By comparison, AMD lost $29 million last quarter and reported...

Read more
  2. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Maniac Posts: 1,166   +241

Great to see AMD turning a profit finally and I am going to say no the revenue will not decline on consoles for a good while and they are going to be turning over a lot more cash once consoles are released as they will be getting more orders which increases revenue!
  3. backo

backo TS Member Posts: 58   +8

"AMD said themselves just a few months ago that game console revenue would likely begin to decline after this holiday season and that royalties on the units will decrease significantly as time goes on."
    I guess you know AMD better than AMD.
  4. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Maniac Posts: 1,166   +241

No but I do understand that the PS4+XBOX ONE won't just sell like 10million consoles then like less than 10million each year I mean come on do you really think the only good sales day they have would be the day its released? hell no its bound to get better specially as not everyone has buttloads of cash and wont be get both at the same time some will get one now then the other later.

Watch in a few months after release we see "Consoles selling better than release thanks to x/y/z.

For one I have seen such things happen frequently I am surprised you haven't also their is a reason ps2 has sold more than any other console and no it didn't all happen on release date that was just a fraction.
  5. Scavengers

Scavengers TS Enthusiast Posts: 101   +16

Revenue will decline. Profits will show a steady straight line for a while. Manufacturing costs will decline and a portion of that will translate to lower costs for the customers. But the new consoles will gain traction and start an upward climb in sales for years to come. So the console makers will see reduced costs, but AMD will profit on a fairly even curve.

I can refer you to Intel and their profits and margins when they supplied the CPU's.

AMD's statement was to keep tech investors (I am one of them) on an even keel.

Dave
  6. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,848   +678

Bear in mind that one of the main reasons AMD turned a profit in Q3 is from selling their property assets:
    Basically you're looking at a short term cut-and-slash of assets to fulfil AMD's promise of break even to satisfy investors and stock holders within the year:

7. Scavengers

Scavengers TS Enthusiast Posts: 101   +16

Those calculations have already been done.
    In a nutshell, AMD turned a relatively small $2.1m profit before revenue from the sale.
    Up $31m from last year.

Dave
  8. Lionvibez

Lionvibez TS Enthusiast Posts: 567   +81

lol I was just gonna say this.

But I guess the Armchair analyst knows best.
  9. Railman

Railman TS Enthusiast Posts: 612   +81

It is excellent that AMD are making a profit. Hopefully they may invest more in R&D. Competition in the CPU market has been minimal and consumers have been losing out.
  10. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,848   +678

Doesn't work like that I'm afraid- not unless one side of the competition has a performance disadvantage or is suffering from a degradation of brand perception. When both (or more) competitors offer roughly equal performance and both brands are viewed as strong then they charge accordingly. Most people would agree that the last time AMD had an architecture that went toe-to-toe with Intel were the days of the Athlon 64. The market segments were pretty much aligned alike on both sides. Here is what the top SKU priced at:
    23 Sep. 2003 Athlon 64 FX-51....$733
    03 Nov. 2003 Pentium 4 3.2EE...$999
    02 Feb. 2004 Pentium 4 3.4EE...$999
    18 Mar. 2004 Athlon 64 FX-53....$799
    19 Oct. 2004 Athlon 64 FX-55.....$827
    02 Nov.2004 Pentium 4 3.46EE. $999
    01 May 2005 Pentium EE 840.....$999
    27 Jun.2005 Athlon 64 FX-57.....$1031
    10 Jan.2006 Athlon 64 FX-60.....$1031
    16 Jan.2006 Pentium EE 955.....$999
    22 Mar.2006 Pentium EE 965.....$999
    23 May.2006 Athlon 64 FX-62....$1031

Remarkably consistent pricing- both between competitors, and the $1K price point that Intel sets for its top desktop SKU. FWIW, the ~$550 and ~$250 price points for the second and third tier SKU's also reflect the top parts continuity of pricing historically.
  11. Railman

Railman TS Enthusiast Posts: 612   +81

But two companies producing comparable items is better than one having a complete monopoly.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.