TechSpot

AMD unveils DX11 Mobility Radeon HD 5000-series

By Matthew
Jan 8, 2010
  1. AMD has introduced the mobile counterpart to its DirectX 11-ready desktop graphics cards. The Mobility Radeon HD 5000 series is comprised of three different graphics chips that span the usual markets: mainstream, performance, and enthusiast. The Tech Report has compiled a table with the new GPUs, which should make the information a little easier to digest:

Read the whole story

2. McAfee site advisor is saying techspot.com has potential security risks and is telling me to use extreme caution.

3. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,443   +124

First of all, @Guest: then don't bother comming, what's the deal with that comment? There are forums to which you can direct your issue, it has nothing to do with the news.

Second, I'm awaiting for the "Fermi here" comment.

Third, AMD rocks =)

4. spikester48661

spikester48661 TS Enthusiast Posts: 103

AMD way to go on the mobile GPUs.

5. walliot

walliot TS Rookie

McAfee is garbage

If McAfee says something's wrong with Techspot, get rid of it - coz there's no way we're getting rid of Techspot! Techspot FTW! :D

On a side note, I'm glad to see AMD living up to expectations! Burn Nvidia burn!

6. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,537   +330

Well I guess I should be the first to say:-

Nvidia Fermi will beat these hands down! nvidia have beaten ATI for all this time, I doubt there just going to sit back on this one.

7. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Maniac Posts: 920   +57

Those are some awesome mobile graphics cards.

8. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,286   +232

I see an interesting trend at the moment, wondering if it's a philosophy change in the nVidia vs ATi wars... ATi is hitting the ground running with this 5000 series stuff, basically wiping the floor with anything nVidia has out now in the desktop arena, and now in the mobile arena. All of the nVidia fans are still waiting in the wings chanting "wait for FERMI" as their mantra, but meanwhile nVidia is using the CES spotlight time, when everyone salivates and watches for new stuff to be debuted, to release not a FERMI but an integrated system on a chip for mobile devices. It seems like nVidia is spending most of its time in the mobile and workstation venues, with whatever is left over to get this FERMI stuff polished and released. Even as a (current) ATi fan, I really want to see what FERMI is capable of, but I'm starting to wonder if the mainstream PC graphics/gaming area has lost its luster for nVidia, and they are concentrating on other (and more lucrative) markets...

Just hoping I'm wrong. We need FERMI to keep the heat on the competition with ATi, so we keep getting leaps and bounds in performance and technology from these 2 graphics pitbulls.

9. compdata

compdata TechSpot Paladin Posts: 604

Vrmithrax - There is a lot of truth in what you are saying. The PC Gaming market won't go totally by the wayside, but it is pretty saturated with not a lot of room for volume growth for ATI or Nvidia. However the portable gaming/video device market looks like it is ready to explode and has a lot of volume growth potential. I see Nvidia and ATI continuing to battle in the desktop market, but they will be diverting resources to try to get a bigger piece of the mobile market.

10. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,387   +425

Good observations Vrmithrax...

If that's the case, it doesn't bode well for PC gaming enthusiasts though as nVidia shifts it's focus. :(

11. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,968   +738

So the mobility HD 5870 is actually a HD 5750.....why not just call it a mobility HD 5750 ?
    Sounds rather misleading to me. You think anyone buying a laptop might just think they are ACTUALLY getting a HD 5870?
    We've had half the graphics card fanboys screaming about despicable re-naming and false advertising that's associated with it in recent times. Is it likely those same red-faced soapbox ranters will vent their rage at this travesty?

12. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,914   +93

I hardly think that going from HD 5750 to mobility 5750 is akin to the rename, refresh, and re-branding scheme that Nvidia has tried to pull off Divide.

13. yukka

yukka TechSpot Paladin Posts: 742   +32

I do partly agree with what dividebyzero is saying except the memory buses arent 256mbit so even calling it a 5750 would be misleading in a way.

Looking good anyway on the mobile front. Now all we need is these chips in laptops that dont cost the earth.

14. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Maniac Posts: 958   +23

Wow, 1.04 billion transistors! That's more than 100 man years if you drew 1 transistor per second. It seems like a lie.

15. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,914   +93

spoken like a true Luddite

...umm, i guess its a good thing that they don't have to draw them.

16. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 1,103   +111

These will make a really good gaming laptop and it's true that i have seen a lot less complains about availability. i wonder which CPU will be powerful enough not to bottleneck these cards in a laptop.

17. Technochicken

Technochicken TechSpot Paladin Posts: 903

Most likely any laptop with the 5870 mobile will have a corei7 mobile, or a desktop cpu to go with it.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.