AMD unveils DX11 Mobility Radeon HD 5000-series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

AMD has introduced the mobile counterpart to its DirectX 11-ready desktop graphics cards. The Mobility Radeon HD 5000 series is comprised of three different graphics chips that span the usual markets: mainstream, performance, and enthusiast. The Tech Report has compiled a table with the new GPUs, which should make the information a little easier to digest:

Mobility Radeon
HD 5400 series
Mobility Radeon
HD 5600 & 5700 series
Mobility Radeon
HD 5800 series
Transistors 242 million 626 million 1.04 billion
Stream processors 80 400 800
Core frequency 750MHz 650MHz 700MHz
Shader arithmetic 120 GFLOPS 572 GFLOPS 1.12 TFLOPS
Memory data rate 3.2 Gbps (GDDR5) 3.2 Gbps (GDDR5) 4 Gbps (GDDR5)
Memory bus 64-bit 128-bit 128-bit

It's worth noting that none of the GPUs are based on Cypress, which AMD claims is too hot and large for notebooks. The 5400 line is based on Cedar, the 5600 and 5700 chips are built on Redwood, and the 5800 series uses the same 40nm Juniper technology as the Radeon HD 5700 desktop cards. All of the Mobility Radeon HD 5000 cards support up to 1GB of GDDR5 RAM and hexa-displays -- except the 5400 parts, which can "only" handle quad-display setups.

The company also announced that it has shipped two million DirectX 11-capable graphics processors, and you'll be pleased to know that TSMC's 40nm issues are a thing of the past, so AMD's DX11 products should be landing in stores and systems near you.

Permalink to story.

McAfee site advisor is saying techspot.com has potential security risks and is telling me to use extreme caution.

First of all, @Guest: then don't bother comming, what's the deal with that comment? There are forums to which you can direct your issue, it has nothing to do with the news.

Second, I'm awaiting for the "Fermi here" comment.

Third, AMD rocks =)

McAfee is garbage

If McAfee says something's wrong with Techspot, get rid of it - coz there's no way we're getting rid of Techspot! Techspot FTW! :D

On a side note, I'm glad to see AMD living up to expectations! Burn Nvidia burn!

Well I guess I should be the first to say:-

Nvidia Fermi will beat these hands down! nvidia have beaten ATI for all this time, I doubt there just going to sit back on this one.

I see an interesting trend at the moment, wondering if it's a philosophy change in the nVidia vs ATi wars... ATi is hitting the ground running with this 5000 series stuff, basically wiping the floor with anything nVidia has out now in the desktop arena, and now in the mobile arena. All of the nVidia fans are still waiting in the wings chanting "wait for FERMI" as their mantra, but meanwhile nVidia is using the CES spotlight time, when everyone salivates and watches for new stuff to be debuted, to release not a FERMI but an integrated system on a chip for mobile devices. It seems like nVidia is spending most of its time in the mobile and workstation venues, with whatever is left over to get this FERMI stuff polished and released. Even as a (current) ATi fan, I really want to see what FERMI is capable of, but I'm starting to wonder if the mainstream PC graphics/gaming area has lost its luster for nVidia, and they are concentrating on other (and more lucrative) markets...

Just hoping I'm wrong. We need FERMI to keep the heat on the competition with ATi, so we keep getting leaps and bounds in performance and technology from these 2 graphics pitbulls.

Vrmithrax - There is a lot of truth in what you are saying. The PC Gaming market won't go totally by the wayside, but it is pretty saturated with not a lot of room for volume growth for ATI or Nvidia. However the portable gaming/video device market looks like it is ready to explode and has a lot of volume growth potential. I see Nvidia and ATI continuing to battle in the desktop market, but they will be diverting resources to try to get a bigger piece of the mobile market.

Good observations Vrmithrax...

If that's the case, it doesn't bode well for PC gaming enthusiasts though as nVidia shifts it's focus. :(

So the mobility HD 5870 is actually a HD 5750.....why not just call it a mobility HD 5750 ?
Sounds rather misleading to me. You think anyone buying a laptop might just think they are ACTUALLY getting a HD 5870?
We've had half the graphics card fanboys screaming about despicable re-naming and false advertising that's associated with it in recent times. Is it likely those same red-faced soapbox ranters will vent their rage at this travesty?

dividebyzero said:
So the mobility HD 5870 is actually a HD 5750.....why not just call it a mobility HD 5750 ?
Sounds rather misleading to me. You think anyone buying a laptop might just think they are ACTUALLY getting a HD 5870?
We've had half the graphics card fanboys screaming about despicable re-naming and false advertising that's associated with it in recent times. Is it likely those same red-faced soapbox ranters will vent their rage at this travesty?

I hardly think that going from HD 5750 to mobility 5750 is akin to the rename, refresh, and re-branding scheme that Nvidia has tried to pull off Divide.

I do partly agree with what dividebyzero is saying except the memory buses arent 256mbit so even calling it a 5750 would be misleading in a way.

Looking good anyway on the mobile front. Now all we need is these chips in laptops that dont cost the earth.

Wow, 1.04 billion transistors! That's more than 100 man years if you drew 1 transistor per second. It seems like a lie.

These will make a really good gaming laptop and it's true that i have seen a lot less complains about availability. i wonder which CPU will be powerful enough not to bottleneck these cards in a laptop.

These will make a really good gaming laptop and it's true that i have seen a lot less complains about availability. i wonder which CPU will be powerful enough not to bottleneck these cards in a laptop.

Most likely any laptop with the 5870 mobile will have a corei7 mobile, or a desktop cpu to go with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back