AMD unveils major GPU driver update, Catalyst Omega

By Scorpus
Dec 5, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. AMD has announced a major overhaul of their Catalyst graphics card driver software today, adding new features, improving performance and fixing a large number of bugs. The 'special edition' driver, which is the result of months of work, is one...

Read more
  2. CrisisDog

CrisisDog TS Booster Posts: 119   +17

Where's the equivalent OS X driver?
  3. Evernessince

Evernessince TS Evangelist Posts: 1,100   +526

One of the most impressive driver releases I've seen in a very long time. I've had a Nvidia and AMD card over the course of this year and have to say that the AMD drivers are more full featured than Nvidia's.

While the Nvida interface may be very robust, it's lacking many options that AMD's drivers have. Overclocking, video tweaking, power management. I wish Nvidia would pay a bit more attention to things other than gaming for once in a while.
  4. Seraphim401

Seraphim401 TS Enthusiast Posts: 58   +12

Will try it ASAP!
  5. Scorpus

Scorpus TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 1,784   +186

Unfortunately it looks like the drivers aren't available just yet. Feels like we might be missing a piece of the puzzle, or maybe we jumped the gun...
  6. Lacking of what features? Nvidia has more options and tweaks via the Nvidia CP not the Geforce Experiences. Also Profile tweakers.
  7. Shaun2312

Shaun2312 TS Enthusiast Posts: 31   +8

not available yet? but your report says you have tested the drivers?
  8. Scorpus

Scorpus TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 1,784   +186

We had beta access to the drivers but we can't post them
  9. Where's the Driva yo!
  10. gobbybobby

gobbybobby TS Guru Posts: 548   +8

Looking forward to it hopefully I see some gains on my r9 270x.
  11. Can't wait to download it.

News like these make me kinda glad I bought an AMD video card.
  12. Evernessince

Evernessince TS Evangelist Posts: 1,100   +526

That's what I was referring to. If you compare the Catalyst control center and the Nvidia control panel you will quickly find out the AMD offers more options. Nvidia doesn't even offer native overclocking which has been in AMD's drivers for years.
  13. psycros

psycros TS Evangelist Posts: 1,295   +663

Its still just giving me a "forbidden" when I try to get the drivers from Techspot.
    Julio Franco likes this.
  14. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,822

That may be because of the following.
    Julio Franco likes this.
  15. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 7,024   +612

Should be fixed now, thanks for the note!
  16. insect

insect TS Evangelist Posts: 315   +114

Should be out now - mine just updated via auto-update.
  17. tomkaten

tomkaten TS Addict Posts: 183   +82

My three main gripes:

1. Blank monitor when resuming from long sleep mode... FIXED !
    2. HDMI sound switching after turning off TV: FIXED !
    3. HDMI disabled sound devices listing up in sound properties and causing huge delays: FIXED !

I'm a happy camper now :) Also drivers updated from 13.11 beta without a hitch.
  18. Nobina

Nobina TS Evangelist Posts: 806   +270

I have 14.9 drivers, is it recommended that I do a clean install or upgrade?
  19. tomkaten

tomkaten TS Addict Posts: 183   +82

I upgraded directly on my son's computer from 14.9 and everything went unbelievably well.
  20. I've been sticking with 14.8 since they came out and before that it was 14.4. I had some problems with a lot of the other drivers and my crossfire 290's. Been testing the new Omega drivers all morning with various games and they have been working flawlessly. So far they seem to be the best drivers I've used in the past 12 months, and I have tried them all at one time or another.
  21. Use display driver uninstaller after uninstalling from the control panel.
    It's common knowledge that if you install over another driver you are just asking for trouble.
  22. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,587   +278

A lot of the modern driver installers now do an uninstall before instead of just installing over the top, but AMD let me down a on a previous update. Full screen youtube was crashing my PC. Found out it was a file I had to manually replace as the AMD drivers hadn't updated it correctly when installing over the top.

Now with this Omega driver I've experienced the same. Installing over the top and it just made my screen look like an 80s home computer loading screen. Completely garbled. Had to reboot with no knowledge of what part of the installation it had reached. Reboot greeted me with the same garbled display. In the end had to do a rollback to a restore point. Thankfully some other installation was done recently and created a recent restore point. Will try again later with a full removal of the old driver and install of new one.

Could be something with the crossfire, AMD patched driver for monitor overclocking and 96Hz monitor frequency. Will find out tonight.
  23. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,587   +278

Oooo, I thought that was because I was running a firmware from a different model on my Asus P8P67 motherboard after them ending support for it. Will be happy if this is a fix by AMD (once I successfully install the driver).
  24. GhostRyder

GhostRyder You know, that one guy with the PC Posts: 2,189   +589

Have not gotten it yet, cannot wait to try some of the new features for 4K.
  25. MoeJoe

MoeJoe TS Maniac Posts: 358   +172

Auto update notification shows a (beta) version for me.
    When I manually downloaded the package from AMD, my driver still shows 14.9 in the Control Panel.
    Something is borked on this package. This is after doing a clean install.
    Imaged my system back and sticking with my previous 14.9 package.

Windows 8.1 Pro Update 1
    Arris likes this.