AMD Upgrade???

Status
Not open for further replies.

h_pavon

It's been a while now!, how's everyone?

I want the most unexpensive BUT the best performance boost I can give my PC concerning cpu and only if necessary ram..... what would you recomend?

My PC is:
Mobo: Abit NF7
Cpu: AMD 2800+ XP
Ram: 1gb DDR333
Video: nVidia 5900 128mb
Sound: Audigy 2
Leadtek Winfast 2000 TV tuner
MSI DVD/RW 8X

I recommend overclocking your cpu, as it will cost you nothing and will give you a decent performance boost. You should be able to crank up your cpu to 3400+ performance rating easily (~2.3-2.4GHz), provided you have a decent heatsink/fan, and given your cpu is not one of the current locked ones, otherwise you'll need to relaxe your memory timings and increase the fsb to up your clock speed.

That pc you have now will last you untill the current computer 'revolution' is finished. Don't go buying anything just yet untill all the PCI-e stuff and dual processors etc have all settled in. So just wait till early 2005 or somthing, the PC will hold up fine untill then.

edit: overclocking it definately a good idea.

Try turning up the bus speed. I got a refurb 2500 for $60. Set the FSB to 400mhz and now its a 3200. Havent had a single problem with it. Runs at 110*. Im not upgrading for a long time.

I don't see a reason to upgrade.

The only thing worth adding might be a CPU upgrade, but I'd probably just change the whole platform before I dropped a couple of hundred bucks on 400+ "Mhz" or more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back