TechSpot

AMD vs. Intel for Photoshop Desktop

By mathieuryan
Dec 11, 2005
  1. I was planning on getting a new computer for my editing software. im only 17. and will be getting a mac when i attend college at CCS. www.ccscad.edu
    but, im looking into a windows based computer for now.
    not to expensive.nor to intense, just looking to get the job done.

i usually have one of these running.

Adobe Photoshop Cs2,
    Adobe Illustrator Cs2,
    maya,
    dreamweaver,
    3d studio max,
    +
    i run up to 5 sites,and itunes.

which is better? AMD or Intel CPUs
    what type of computer should i run,
    videocards, ram, processor speed etc. help? thanks.

2. truflip

truflip TS Rookie Posts: 590

how much money do u have to spend on this system? :p
    i personally like Intels for your purposes but I have heard good things about the opterons. might wanna do a bit of research into these as they are new

oh and welcome to techspot :D

3. osram

osram TS Rookie Posts: 90

for the 3d apps you might consider buying raw RAM power ;) i dont think the cpu will save you alot of time with 3d apps.. but RAM does.

i cant give you too much infos on the processors though.. i am still living in the socket A world and have not been into computers very much the last three years.

i only know that an amd 2700+ is about 20-30% faster than a 2.4ghz pentium for desktop applications.

but i really dont know the actual situation and development on the market.

4. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

If you can afford it, your best bet (performance for the money invested) is a single AMD64-3800+ or a dual AMD64-4400+ X2 on a good Socket-939 board, with 2x 1GB matched memory sticks.
    Abit AV8 (with optional 3rdEye) if you want to stay with AGP cards
    Asus A8N-Sli-939 nf4 for PCI-express/SLI

Dual AMD64s run circles around any Intel CPU.

5. mathieuryan

mathieuryan TS Rookie Topic Starter

like i was saying, not to much money, around 1000, the cheaper the better, i just need to get the job done. i heard intel are better for multitasking and amd for more intense graphics because of 32 and 64 bit. for photoshop i heard ram is more importain than the cpu. i just need a basic idea of a computer system. thanks youve helped so far.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.