AMD vs. Intel for Photoshop Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was planning on getting a new computer for my editing software. im only 17. and will be getting a mac when i attend college at CCS. www.ccscad.edu
but, im looking into a windows based computer for now.
not to expensive.nor to intense, just looking to get the job done.

i usually have one of these running.

Adobe Photoshop Cs2,
Adobe Illustrator Cs2,
maya,
dreamweaver,
3d studio max,
+
i run up to 5 sites,and itunes.

which is better? AMD or Intel CPUs
what type of computer should i run,
videocards, ram, processor speed etc. help? thanks.

how much money do u have to spend on this system? :p
i personally like Intels for your purposes but I have heard good things about the opterons. might wanna do a bit of research into these as they are new

oh and welcome to techspot :D

for the 3d apps you might consider buying raw RAM power ;) i dont think the cpu will save you alot of time with 3d apps.. but RAM does.

i cant give you too much infos on the processors though.. i am still living in the socket A world and have not been into computers very much the last three years.

i only know that an amd 2700+ is about 20-30% faster than a 2.4ghz pentium for desktop applications.

but i really dont know the actual situation and development on the market.

If you can afford it, your best bet (performance for the money invested) is a single AMD64-3800+ or a dual AMD64-4400+ X2 on a good Socket-939 board, with 2x 1GB matched memory sticks.
Abit AV8 (with optional 3rdEye) if you want to stay with AGP cards
Asus A8N-Sli-939 nf4 for PCI-express/SLI

Dual AMD64s run circles around any Intel CPU.

like i was saying, not to much money, around 1000, the cheaper the better, i just need to get the job done. i heard intel are better for multitasking and amd for more intense graphics because of 32 and 64 bit. for photoshop i heard ram is more importain than the cpu. i just need a basic idea of a computer system. thanks youve helped so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back