AMD vs PENTIUM

Status
Not open for further replies.

korrupt

Hey,

I'm going to upgrade my exsisting pc (new mobo, cpu, RAM, hdd, graphics) but still havent decided wether to base it on AMD or Pentium 4. Comparing the prices, a AMD Athlon X2 4200+ DUAL CORE (SOCKET AM2) is equivalent in price to a INTEL Pentium D 940 3.2 Ghz Socket LGA775 DUAL CORE Processor yet the AMD has a speed of only 2.2ghz?! How is this possible, I was always under the impression that AMD was better value for money...

In AMD, what is the difference (if any) between socket AM2 and 939? Which one is better value? In Intel, what is the difference between Dual Core and Core 2 Duo? For the same price you can get a high performance dual core rather than a low performance core 2 duo... Which is better value? The only socket currently available for Pentium is 775, will there be a new one anytime soon making my system outdated?

Speaking about Dual cores, obviously 2 cores are better than one, but will it really make a difference to my performance? I also heard that a lot of software and hardware is not compatible with Dual core CPU's, is this true or simply a myth? Which is better value? Single or dual core?

I was hoping to keep my excisting PSU but am not sure how to find out without physically opening up my case and looking what excactly it is - ive tried pc wizard... I will need to find this out...

Basically I cant go any further before I know all of these answers,

Any help would be hugely appreciated,

Regards,

Korrupt

Ok to answer the first question AMD Athlon X2 is better Than the PentiumD but the Core 2 Duo is better than both. For the second one Core2 Duo beats a Pentium D by about 40% preformance wise, uses 20-30% less power,and runs significantly cooler. A 2.4 GHZ core2 Duo beats a 3.6 GHZ Pentium D and costs less. LGA 775 is currently intel's standard socket type and probably will be for awhile. However make sure to get a modern chipset (965 or 975 series intel) since many older chipsets don't support new features.To answer the third question dual core offers butter preformance for multi-tasking but in most cases will not help much in most games.However some newer games have dual core support which splits the operations across both cores improveing preformance.Eventually this will likely become standard.Many older programs don't support dual core but they will still run, however they will only make use of one core.

Ok, first of all.

Intel, for the longest time, have basically been concentrating on massively high clock speeds, this changes with their Conroe chips, which run at 2.4ghz if I'm not mistaken. However, AMD has always concentrated on performance rather than blazing clock speeds, the number posted in the product name is basically the equivalent of Intel speeds. (eg the processor you looked at, the 4200+ is equivalent to a 4.2Ghz pentium).

Socket AM2 has 940 pins, 939 has 939 obviously. However; I'm confident the only difference is that AM2 was AMD's 'quick fix' jump into the DDR2 bandwagon.

Basically, unless you have a program that will fully utilize both cores efficiently, the only gain Dual Core processing has is multitasking, which it does VERY well.

EDIT:

The Core 2 Duo's are the absolute best processors on the market atm. Don't let their low clock speeds fool you, they're extremely powerful.

Thank you for your reply,

I was always under the impression that core speeds meant performance. How can a 2.2ghz amd be equivalent to a 4.2ghz pentium 4? Is conroe out yet in Ausy=tralia and are they very expensive? So is AMD better then Intel? Does AMD support most hardware or not? Can I use same ram, graphics card, hdd etc as with intel? Is a pentium motherboard cheaper/more expensive then AMD? Can you still get single cores? Or have price of dual cores gone down so much that its not worth it?

Regards,

Korrupt

I'm not exactly sure how it works, but clock rates aren't everything. The technology used etc etc determine how 'fast' or how well your chip will perform.

I'm not sure if conroe is out in Australia, but the E6600 is only $300 USD approx, it's about equivalent to the FX-62 which retails for $1000.

AMD and Intel use the same components for everything other than the motherboard. You'll be able to re-use everything except maybe your RAM. If you choose a DDR2 system, you'll need DDR2 RAM etc. If the RAM type matches your old RAM then of course you can re-use it.

AMD is cheaper than intel and usually better short of the new Conroe chips.

You can still buy a single core processor, dual core processing won't give you much gains unless ..(well I explained this). If you aren't going for the absolute best(conroe) I'd suggest you get an AMD chip as they've cut back their prices considerably.

Also, why is socket 939 more expensive than am2 when am2 is newer?

Which is better?

Regards,

Korrupt

AM2 is basically the same as 939, but it uses DDR2 RAM. As for the odd price trend, I'd assume because s939 has been the norm for a while and AM2 isn't quite as popular.

Thank you very much for your reply, I still have so many more questions... Is it true that there is no real performance difference between amd x2 3800 to amd x2 4800?

Once again, thank you so much for your help.

regards,

korrupt

After talking with I_am_a_newbie, I have decided to probably go for the INTEL E6300 CORE 2 Duo PROCESSOR SOCKET LGA775 after he told me that it will out perform the 4200+ without a doubt. Is this a reasonable CPU then? My next job is to find a suitable motherboard, since about 30% of my budget has gone to the cpu, i'll need a reasonably low priced one. Any suggestions?

Regards,

Korrupt

Also, which brand of motherboard is better? Asus, intel or gigabyte?

Regards,

Korrupt

Ive decided to go with this mother board: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813121035

Now really all I need is a graphics card, Nvidia or Radeon? WHich is better? Agp or PCI!? SO many questions,

two graphics cards are looking good:
7600GT - 256MB - PCIE - Gigabyte Video Card - Nvidia FX7600GT
7600GS - 512MB - PCIE - Innovision FX7600GS - 512MB DDR3

These are both the same price.

Gigabyte is a better brand isnt it?

Please help.

I play games every now and again (maybe 3 hours a day) and currently my fx5200 is doing quite a reasonable job.

I also still need to find a way to find out the specs on my PSU without opening up case, any help?

Regards,

Korrupt

first, gigabyte and Asus just merged. Probably doesn't mean a single thing at the moment.

second, you must have a PCIe slot to use a PCIe card. I'm betting you don't have a slot, cos you are using an AGP card.

I am building a new computer as you would have seen if you have read the first thread... Are these descent cards though?

Regards,

Korrupt

oh... sorry then

very close call there, they're about the same performance. I probably will be inclined to go with the 7600GS, cos there probably is more overclocking potential, and the 512mb will come in very handy in the future.

Sorry, they are both 7600GS, the website got them wrong. Is innovision a descent brand? Or would I be better off going for the Gigabyte even though it has lower performance?

Regards,

Korrupt

I'd prefer to stay with brands I recognize, and unfortunately innovision isn't one.

However, the best buys are usually those with unknown brands, since they have to price their products cheaper to compete with the big brands.

Thanks for your reply, now that I have all my components, I need to know how to build it? I have the follwing items:

Case
mobo
psu
cpu
mouse
monitor
keyboard
graphics card
harddrives
dvd burner
cd burner
floppy
ethernet card

That is it... Will I need anything else such as heatsink? Or will cpu come with heatsink?

Regards,

Korrupt

Oh man these threads are fun. Let's see...computer brain go to work NOW!!

Sorry, that is just me being over-enthusiastic. Anyway, are all those things you listed the things that you currently have? Or are they things that you want us to recommend? If you have all of those already please list the specifics.

CPU comes with heatsink and ethernet card is built into the motherboard, so cancel the ethernet card out.

Let's see, from the confusing posts all i know is this:

You're going to get OR already have an E6300 and that INTEL motherboard. I suggest you get, if you havent already, an eVGA 7600gt ko, simply cause unlike other companies, eVGA offers LIFETIME warranties and offers support that is second to none in the industry.

I havent got access to eVga.

Some of these parts I have, others I dont, the parts that I already have will be in RED:

CPU = Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe
MOBO = Intel DP965LT
Graphics Card = Gigabyte FX7600GS
RAM = Legend 1gb 667mhz 240pin
HDD 1 (master for OS) = Western Digital Caviar 200gb 7200rpm
HDD 2 (slave for data) = Western Digital Caviar 200gb 7200rpm
DVD Burner = LG 16x dual layer
DVD reader/cd burner = LG Combo Drive
Floppy = Standard
PSU = I dont know, still have to find out (any help would be appreciated)
Monitor = Samsung Syncmaster 753s (maybe I will upgrade to LCD soon)
Mouse = Microsoft Optical Scroll
Keyboard = Standard Microsoft Keyboard
CASE = Just a standard cheap case.

That is just about it. Are all these components compatible with eachother?

Regards,

Korrupt

2 HDDs and a 7600gs will likely mean you will need a new PSU.To find out post the specs of your current one, not only watts but amps also.These should be listed on the sticker on the side of the PSU (you may have to remove the PSU to find this).If the PSU is not a well known good brand you should replace it regardless of the rateing as cheep PSU manufactures tend to over rate their units. Everything else should be ok. Is your case full ATX or micro ATX? That board requires a full ATX case.

I am not sure if the RAM is compatible, simply cause DDR2 confuses me and I have a socket 939 Athlon 64 setup. Ask someone else about the RAM being compatible.

As for the other components, they all seem to be compatible thus far, however, the video card is an insult to your system. It is midrange, and being that ur cpu is so powerful I think you deserve a better video card.

OH YEAH, definitely get a reliable name brand PSU like wolfram says...in fact, the one he is telling you to get, the Antec TP2.0 480w is the EXACT same one I have, so get it!

About the RAM, if you want Conroe, you'll need to get DDR2 RAM. Conroe mobo's do not support standard DDR400 RAM.

Thanks for your replies.

As for the psu, maybe I'll get a new case because I REALLY want one with USB ports on the front as I am always fidgeting with the ones on the back trying to get my things in. Is Antec a reliable PSU manufactorer then? I was thinking of this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811129155
from antec although the termaltake such as this one seem nice too: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811133174 which comes with a 430 watt psu...

As for graphics card, what do you suggest? 7600gt maybe? Or perhaps if ATI have a good one for a reasonable price I will concider that also.

Regards,

Korrupt

let straigten things out

korrupt said:
I havent got access to eVga.

Some of these parts I have, others I dont, the parts that I already have will be in RED:

CPU = Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe
MOBO = Intel DP965LT
Graphics Card = Gigabyte FX7600GS
RAM = Legend 1gb 667mhz 240pin
HDD 1 (master for OS) = Western Digital Caviar 200gb 7200rpm
HDD 2 (slave for data) = Western Digital Caviar 200gb 7200rpm
DVD Burner = LG 16x dual layer
DVD reader/cd burner = LG Combo Drive
Floppy = Standard
PSU = I dont know, still have to find out (any help would be appreciated)
Monitor = Samsung Syncmaster 753s (maybe I will upgrade to LCD soon)
Mouse = Microsoft Optical Scroll
Keyboard = Standard Microsoft Keyboard
CASE = Just a standard cheap case.

That is just about it. Are all these components compatible with eachother?

Regards,

Korrupt

I see no point in having identical hard drives, you dont need 2 of them, just one unless you plan to raid them but you dont
you will need a new psu, even that 7600gs requires some extra power
if your case is micro atx, you will need a micro atx motherboard
if its atx case, you will need an atx case
there are some exceptions where an atx case is compatible with a micro atx motherboard but you mentioned it is a cheap case so I highly doubt it.
micro atx motherboards differ from atx motherboards by being smaller and obviously having less features but tend to be cheaper
the motherboard looks a little iffy to me, your only single ide channel would be used up by your disc drives..ehh
I have never heard of legend brand ram...
based on the specs the motherboard can handle drr2 800 (6400) but you are buying ddr2 667...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back