AMD wont instal OS, PLZ HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My computer is an old amd computer, its a K6-2 500mhz AMD, motherboard is a compaq presario. and i wanted to instal Windows XP pro and it gets to the point where it formats the HDD, then says it is corupt, damaged, or is not working properly, and its a fairly new 40GB HDD. I need advice on how to get past this problem. COuld this be a board problem, or could it be that the HDD is to big for a main drive. has anyone encountered this problem before, if so then please post how to fix it,,,cheers

Well just to start windows will perform horiblyon that system. Also the Windows XP CD maybe be damage to a state that's it is unreadiable.

its not the disk,,i tried using 2000 pro to,,just gets to the point of partion the hdd and it said the harddrive is corupt,,cannot use it,,its a new 40gig maxtor,,thats why i was wondering about the board if its the problem,,

Hey

Well, if u have a full install dban ur hd and it will work, although I wont be held responsible if it dosent work...... and look on the box and see if ur Win Xp is x64 edition if it is dont try.

1. Its not an old AMD computer, its an old Compaq computer. The only thing in it that AMD made was the processor.

2. WindowsXP will run fine on that machine. The computer that I am typing this post on right now is a 600MHz PIII Dell notebook. I have been using XP on this notebook for years with no issues.

3. You have tried installing 2 different operating systems and both of them gave you the same hard drive errors. so what makes you think that your mobo is bad???

sounds to me like you have a bad hard drive. it doesn't matter if its a new hard drive, that doesn't mean its good. maxtor isn't the best name in hard drives, it wouln't surprise me if it's bad.

try to install on another hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back