TechSpot

AMD working on Radeon R9 280, another re-branded GPU

By Scorpus
Feb 12, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. AMD is preparing yet another addition to their extensive graphics card line-up: the Radeon R9 280. With the R9 270X occupying the $199 price point, and the R9 280X costing well above its official price of $299 thanks to crypto-currency...

Read more

2. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,561   +862

And this is the part where I lose track of whats new, whats rebranded, and generally which card is which.

spectrenad, misor and tomkaten like this.
  3. cmbjive

cmbjive TS Booster Posts: 777   +137

I was wondering why there was such a massive difference in pricing between the 270x and 280x cards.

Here is how much the cryptocurrency is impacting the pricing of AMD cards: only three days ago the price of a 290x card on Newegg retailed for about $700. Today, those cards are running in the $900 price range. I guess I'm out of the 290x market.

4. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,514   +2,059

Apparently it's not all down to crypto-currency mining but also a failure on AMD's part not to order enough ASIC's manufactured by TMSC but yeah, $900 for a R9 290X is lunacy.

5. I can only hope that the extra money from the bitcoin-rage reaches AMD, and won't disappear completely at the retailers and shops. It would make these drastic price-increases a bit less painful -.-

6. GhostRyder

GhostRyder This guy again... Posts: 2,191   +590

Its a re-brand 7950, I had a feeling this was coming soon since 7950s has sortta disappeared. The GPU mining has ruined the value of these cards because the retailers are charging ridiculous prices for the higher end cards. In truth if I had not gotten my trio for sub 600 I would not have bought them, I could probably turn around and resell them and make a profit then grab a trio of 780ti's.

Well come March prices will stabilize again once Asics come back out for these things.

7. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 1,914   +537

We can expect the prices to come back down sometime this spring.