AMD X2 6400+ 3.20Ghz cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ollie30001

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6400+ Black Edition 3.20GHz

Hello,

I currently have a AMD Athlon 3800+ 2ghz x2 overclocked to 2.4ghz and i have just baught an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6400+ Black Edition 3.20GHz, and just relised it doesnt come with a heatsink or fan.

so i was wondering would the heatsink and fan i have on my current processor be able to keep the AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6400+ Black Edition 3.20GHz cool?

or am i going to have to get a bigger better one?

cheers.

If you already have a good cooler, then you should have no issues. If you are using a stock cooler, it is foolish to overclock. Also post in the correct forum.

Sorry mate, didnt no what forum to post in.

anyways, yeah im using the stock cooler that come with the 3800+, im not planning to overclock the 3.2gig one thats coming on monday im just wondering if the stock cooler on the 3800+ 2.0gig will be good anuf.

i think it would be worth it to get an after market cooler for your new cpu, why not spend the extra 30-40 bucks for a nice cooler
also if your 3800 was a socket 939 it may not fit your new chip which is am2

What thermal paste did you use? Arctic Silver is the best kind, the stuff that you get with heat sinks isn't as good at dissipating heat.

hmm...interesting...by the look of this cooler...it doesnt loks really good...i think you should get a bigger one...and a gooder one too... :)

That looks like the kind of cooler you would use in a very small form factor computer, is that your case ? I'm not sure it can do a sufficient job for your current CPU, you should get something more efficient & I recommend Zalman coolers (the CNPS7500-Cu is quite good).

I have the new(ish) Black Edition 6400+ and i noticed under the bios and temp reading programmes like speed fan etc. the temp reding states the thing is at -48.....no matter what.

this cant be right as im using air cooling and the thing is deffinatly not cold.

im not having ne problems atol its just how am i sposed to no how hot this thing is running at say if i wanted to overclock?

bios update required? or bad temp sensor?

Speedfan is an amateur written bit of software, while it is is very good at most things it isn't kept up to date that often.

Google and get everest home edition and that may give a more accurate reading.

hmm that core temp programme seems to work its reading both my cores but they seem quite high for an idle temp....core 0 is 63c and core 1 is 53...should i be worried...i have a pretty good cooler too.

3.20GHz X2 6400+ temp readings

hmm that core temp programme seems to work its reading both my cores but they seem quite high for an idle temp....core 0 is 63c and core 1 is 53...should i be worried...i have a pretty good cooler too.

What is "that core temp program"? Please specify.

Those temps seem quite high - Core 1 isn't too bad but Core 0 is pretty hot.

Also, you didn't say what CPU this is, it could either be an Intel C2D, Pentium D, AMD 64X2, etc, I don't know if you don't say ;)

Are you 100 percent sure the fan is mounted correctly and the correct amount of thermal grease/paste? Also, how is the ventilation in your case? That is a very hot chip; which is why they only provide a 1 year warranty, you can't have a cheap case with one or two 80mm fans in there.

You can go to the website of your processor manufacturer. Request the specs of your exact CPU. All temp. info will be there. Max. safe temp. will be under 'thermal specification'.

if your 6400+ didnt come with a stock heatsink/fan, i suspect i didnt come with thermal paste applied on it either. maybe this is the problem. buy some arctic cooling mx2 from overclockers.co.uk and apply it on your cpu and then mount the akasa..
my 6000+ idles around 34*C and load temperatures go only as high as 51*C (core 0=45*C, core1=55*C) with amd stock cooling.

i wud recommend that you should use the zalman cpu cooler as it will work 100% and u shud see ur temps half really in most cases this is what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back