Amd xp2600+ thoroughbred ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just rushed out on sunday to get a new Processor as mine has died. As it was sunday(only one shop open) i check the pcworld site to see what they sold. Decided on the above model as it said it had a 333 system bus and as i just brought a new board with a 333 bus, I went for that one.

Any way after installing it and to my relief find that it works again I'm only now looking at the retail box and notice that the Pcworld sticker says it's an amd 2600+thoroughbred 213 ghz 266 mhz fsb 256 l3 cache.

However the amd retail pack only says 2600+ with l2 cache of 512kb, on the top lh side of the pack. No other details are listed on the box but when i check my system properties, it shows xp2600 1.92 ghz.

Without me opening up my system can any one please tell me what i have brought and if i've been sold an old slower model. Also will my system be a lot slower for only having a 266 fsb ( if thats what i've got.

Thanks

It seems that the PC World sticker is wrong. The AMD 2600+ Barton does indeed run at 1.917GHz and has 512KB cache. The box markings are correct, and PC World has simply put the wrong sticker on the box. The Thoroughbred 2600+ version runs at 2.13GHz due to smaller cache size of 256KB.

There were 3 different versions of the 2600+ with 2 different cores. Theres the Barton core thats runs at 1.92Ghz with 333fsb and 512k cache. Then the thoroughbred came in a 333fsb that ran at 2.083Ghz 256k cache and the 266fsb version that ran at 2.13Ghz 256k cache. I learned all this when I was looking for the max processor for my motherboard.

Originally posted by Supra
There were 3 different versions of the 2600+ with 2 different cores. Theres the Barton core thats runs at 1.92Ghz with 333fsb and 512k cache. Then the thoroughbred came in a 333fsb that ran at 2.083Ghz 256k cache and the 266fsb version that ran at 2.13Ghz 256k cache. I learned all this when I was looking for the max processor for my motherboard.

I do believe the different versions are listed in the thread linked above.;)

You have everything you need there. Core codename, CPU & FSB speed as well as cache amounts.

Thanks for all your advice and so it now looks like i have a 2600+ barton. Is this a faster, better, newer chip and is it ok for overclocking ?

I,ve just got a pcchips M848A motherboard, with two 256 pc3200 and it shows the cpu frequency as 166 mhz. This can be adjusted up to 220 mhz. Is this how you overclock it?

Also i read a review of the above board on Ebuyer and the user recommended putting the ram in slots 1 and 3 to get the dual path working ? what is that and should i do it

thanks once again

If you have two sticks of that DDR of the same configuration, go ahead and dual channel. You'll notice a boost in performance.

As for overclocking, I would be wary to do so carelessly. What do you have as the heatsink on your CPU and do you have good airflow in your case?

You're right about raising the FSB in order to overclock, though you could also adjust the multiplier to do so. Browse around and look into steps you should take and things to look out for before you delve into it.

The heatsink is a cool master cp5-8jd1f-ol which was rated for an xp2800+, i also have two case fans. Is that enough

I will look into overcloking a bit more before i do anything.

Thanks for your advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back