AMD's answer to Haswell?

dividebyzero

The rumours of a 5GHz FX-9000 / Centurion processor based upon the Piledriver CPU seems to be gathering momentum if SweClockers are to be believed.

At a 20% increase in stock frequency for 76% increase in TDP, it should be interesting to see the motherboard compatibility list. 220 watt would denote a high leakage part, so maybe the 9000 moniker denotes AMD aiming at 9GHz under LN2/LHe
18a.jpg

[SweClockers]

AMD is trying to fend off Haswell until their Steamroller cores are ready. It seems to me that this is just an overclocked Vishera chip with the ridiculously high TDP. Wasn't the FX-8350's TDP high enough? AMD wants to increase it even more? Heck, just get an FX-8350 and run it at 4.8GHz, which a lot of people seem to reach with a proper motherboard. I have nothing against AMD, considering my current rig is an AMD rig. I just think the TDP is way too high.

This is not the "Answer to Haswell" and honestly at this point, its just a rumor. The answer to Haswell is the Steamroller architecture.

Even if this exists and it comes out, it has sounded like a limited production run chip that was gonna be made in small quantities. If it does come out and these specs are to be believed it will probably be pretty funny because with that TDP, its going to limit the amount of boards capable of handling that chip and will probably run pretty hot.

This is not the "Answer to Haswell" and honestly at this point, its just a rumor. The answer to Haswell is the Steamroller architecture.
Honestly at this point, Steamroller is rumor. How many times was Bulldozer release date moved up? How many people was severely disappointed in performance, once Bulldozer was released? In your attempt to discredit one, you effectively discredit both as being the "Answer to Haswell". Your assessment could only hold true, if Steamroller was to be released within the next couple months to compete with Haswell.

Lets not forget AMD's statement, they are no longer competing head to head with Intel. This would suggest they have no intentions of presenting an answer to Intel's offering.

I believe AMD lied about no longer competing, to shut up the media frenzy. And now they are proving they lied, to try and maintain a small piece of the market, while they continue with R&D in their efforts to stay competitive.

Bulldozer was pretty bad, noone is denying that.

They are both rumor, but at least amd has put that up as the code name for the next architecture for their next chips. Haswell is the next/new intel architecture, so wouldn't comparing 2 new architectures make sense. Plus this 225 chip sounds more dangerous than anything as I don't think every am3+ motherboard could handle it.

Rumors are rumors, we will see steamroller some day, that can be sure (unless amd goes under). This will be interesting if it comes out, but honestly even if it does, it has sounded like a limited run chip.

Sorry, cant edit my post, its been to long now, well seems that the rumor has turned more true in the recent day...

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/FX-9000-Piledriver-FX-8770-Vishera,22873.html

That TDP..........................................

I hope to god theres some performance in this processor, but it just sounds like a super overclocked FX-8350. I dont know if I want one or not, I feel like this processor may be a dissappointment. Ill have to watch benchmarks and see if people can pull like 5.5 ghz stable overclocks. Of course also theres the matter of the price sooooooo yeah.

Yeah...Think im going to go bang my head on a desk for an hour and figure out why this is a good idea and how feasible this really is. I mean really a 220watt TDP, even with liquid on it, im just curious how cool it will run. Then theres that issue of how much the FX-8350 scales already when overclocked, is it really gonna be a big performance difference? Or are we just gonna get a CPU mark score of 10000, which that score for that much power and heat would not be worth it.

Honestly at this point, Steamroller is rumor. How many times was Bulldozer release date moved up? How many people was severely disappointed in performance, once Bulldozer was released? In your attempt to discredit one, you effectively discredit both as being the "Answer to Haswell". Your assessment could only hold true, if Steamroller was to be released within the next couple months to compete with Haswell.

By answer, maybe it is just a "bad answer"? :D

Lets not forget AMD's statement, they are no longer competing head to head with Intel. This would suggest they have no intentions of presenting an answer to Intel's offering.

I believe AMD lied about no longer competing, to shut up the media frenzy. And now they are proving they lied, to try and maintain a small piece of the market, while they continue with R&D in their efforts to stay competitive.
Whatever they say, I'm not sure it matters if they are trying or not because until we see otherwise, they can't compete even if they try. Not at high end anyway. Best that can happen is they can make a bang for buck mid range chip for the mainstream market which isn't a terrible outcome but Intel will have the ability to set the price points for the market.

That tomshardware link is just an editorial on the link in the OP haha. There is no further confirmation to be had. :p

Yeah I know, but there's been like today alone tons of hardware sites and talks regarding the up coming events with talk of it being a announced there. We will still have to see, I also notice this naming scheme breaks there normal naming code.

Ill still await official announcement, but I'm going to bang my head against my desk if a 5.0ghz vishera chip with a 220tdp comes out.

Back