AMD's M2 vs 939

Status
Not open for further replies.

larg0

I've got a friend who's looking into building a PC. My advice to him was to go with the current 939 processors, but one of his other friends says that they're getting phased out by the M2s next april. i've looked around on google for a bit and found some sites saying AMD isnt planning on doing any more work with the M2s.

or was that in reference to the old 940s?

is the statement: 939s are getting phased out by M2s accurate?

which socket should he go with? (i just bought parts for a new 939 comp)

socket 939 will be around until the end of 2007

M2 is now named AM2 and is the replacement for socket 940, but they added DDR2 support. Won't be around until this spring, then you have to wait for motherboards to stabilize w/ BIOS updates, etc. Not worth waiting for IMHO...

AM2 will ultimately supercede 939, but that is going to be a long way down the road. LGA775 still hasn't completely replaced Socket 478 in the market, and it's been around for a year and a half plus some. It's definitely not worth waiting for, especially considering how rocky new socket releases tend to be.

it depends on how long he is willing to wait. if he needs it now, go for the socket 939, if he can wait, I think AM2 is probably a better buy in the lnog run.

I'm with kenyee and Soul Harvester on this one. It's not a good idea to buy the first generation of anything (sli, crossfire, new chipsets, new cpus, whatever). The people that have to be on the bleeding edge of technology also usually end up being unpaid beta testers.

Get the 939 now and wait until the bugs get worked out before throwing down big money for the new AM2 and new AM2 chipsets.

AMD says 10-15% performance gain, 939 to AM2. The price is another question. No one would be suprized if it cost 20-30% more. :haha:

You've got better RAM in there also.

The thing is that the 25% cost reduction of the current processors is announced @ the same time as M2. Mmmm, I wonder if it's a coincidence or not.

All right! If it's not worth waiting, I will get my new PC this year instead of 5 months later.

the problem with waiting is that by the time you get the new hardware it is already out of date. think about what all of the guys above have said. "unpaid beta testers" isn't a nice label for the moolah you'll have to fork out to get your hands on these puppies. go 939 now, upgrade to a higher processor when the price drops in 6-8 months. i'm still on 754 because it was cheaper and not too bad in the way of performance. the hardware was half the price of 939 at the time and only a fraction slower. Now 939 is something i'm looking for just after the AM2 is released.

yeah isn't canada like ATI's and AMD's headquarters? you'd be heaps up to date for a good price then. i'd like it if we had cheaper new parts in australia but we don't. also look at the speed differences of each model. newer revisions of the same chip are about so do some research first. tomshardware has an interesting arcticle about processor comparison charts and a video card one as well. i chose the 3700+ clawhammer and now when i look at it my processor is still very powerful and i got it for half the price of the 4000+.

I think Intel's chips coming later next year will be awsome. 65nm is looking good, and the new Yonah will be seen on desktops, compares well with X2 and uses less power.

Conroe is the one to watch out for. I hear 30% more per clock. I can't see Intel with slower clocks than AMD, so it should be the best performer. The dual core design sharing cache will be a vast inprovment over the Pentium D, just like it is with Yonah. The i975x motherboards have been called "the next 440bx."

Intel is changing designs, AMD is just changing memory controlers.

Mirob said:
I think Intel's chips coming later next year will be awsome. 65nm is looking good, and the new Yonah will be seen on desktops, compares well with X2 and uses less power.

Conroe is the one to watch out for. I hear 30% more per clock. I can't see Intel with slower clocks than AMD, so it should be the best performer. The dual core design sharing cache will be a vast inprovment over the Pentium D, just like it is with Yonah. The i975x motherboards have been called "the next 440bx."

Intel is changing designs, AMD is just changing memory controlers.

"Don't believe the hype!"

I always wait for independant benchmarks by non-bias third parties, rather than believing pre-release propaganda by those who are in the pockets of the manufacturer.

mnm222876 has his head screwed on. everyone makes promises but how many of them make it to the consumer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back