AMD's next-generation graphics cards: here's what we know so far

Shawn Knight

Staff member

radeon r9 based grenada refined hawaii amd radeon gpu graphics card video card tonga fiji trinidad

AMD is expected to release a bevy of next generation graphics cards in the first half of 2015 starting with the Radeon R7 360 and 360X next month according to recently published information from The Tech Report (translated from 3DCenter).

The aforementioned cards will reportedly be based on a chip codenamed Trinidad. It’s unclear at this time if this will be new silicon or a rebranded Pitcairn (the chip that powers the R9 270 and 270X). Either way, it’s expected to carry 2GB of memory with a 256-bit GDDR5 interface.

The Radeon R9 370, 380 and 390 series are all expected to surface by the end of the second quarter. The 370 series are said to use the same Tonga GPU that’s found in the current R9 285, the R9 380 cards will use a rebranded Hawaii chip from the current R9 290 called Grenada and the R9 390 series will use a new chip known as Fiji.

The publication notes that Fiji will consist of 4,096 shader units, 4GB of high-bandwidth memory and a huge 1024-bit path.

Last but certainly not least is the Radeon R9 395X2, a dual-core card known as Bermuda (two Fiji chips). It will feature 8,192 shader units and dual 1024-bit paths to 2x4GB high-bandwidth memory. This monster is expected to release sometime during the second half of this year.

Permalink to story.

Fiji and Bermuda are the only one's that have my interest.
We'll see how they fair with 4K.

Well I am waiting for 360x or 370x with new GPU (GCN 2.0) and the new 3D memory. if its just a rebrand nvidia have a nice 960 ;-)

<- Currently have SLI 970s and am very happy with them but very interested in the performance numbers and price of 395X2.

Chickens coming home to roost?
So it looks like channelling their graphics R&D into console APUs might result in only a single new GPU this time around. All good for the enthusiast grade (still not sure how they intend to market a FirePro branded Fiji with only 4GB), but the status quo down the stack looks a little ominous as far as OEM contracts - especially mobile discrete graphics, where a lack of GPU efficiency is really putting pressure on AMD's market/mind share.

It's a shame I had to buy a new card before time, I have a GTX 970 and I'm not happy at all, I wish I could have wait for this monsters from AMD

NVIDEA GTX 750 TI owner, previously GTX 450, and many AMD Cards before. NEVER AGAIN AMD toss....

I have an MSi 7870 which has worked brilliantly for me and to this day it is able to output at least a stable 30 FPS on modern games with ultra settings on. I am very happy with this card, but now it looks like it will be the time to move on to the new R93 3** series cards!

For me, AMD's Shader Units are just as pointless as the number of cores in their "top-notch" CPU-s.

Video Card Value = Performance / (i1*Price + i2*Consumption + i3*Noise + i4*Heat + i5*Dimensions + i6 * Software), where: i1 - i6 are subjective importance ratios. On an average, AMD is known only to be doing good on Price, but its value is killed by the rest of the negative criteria.

I have xfx 280x and play everything maxed out at high fps. Had it for over a year and only next card I will upgrade to is a 395x2. Anything less wouldn't be worth the money. Im sure that wont be at least till end of this year for 4k

For me, AMD's Shader Units are just as pointless as the number of cores in their "top-notch" CPU-s.

Video Card Value = Performance / (i1*Price + i2*Consumption + i3*Noise + i4*Heat + i5*Dimensions + i6 * Software), where: i1 - i6 are subjective importance ratios. On an average, AMD is known only to be doing good on Price, but its value is killed by the rest of the negative criteria.

Typically Consumption, Noise, and Heat are all tied together. As consumption increase, so do noise and heat.

Dimensions is really only an issue for those with small cases. Otherwise, you aren't supposed to shove a beast of a card into a small machine. Nvidia only wins in this area because they just released their next gen cards, which are a bit smaller. Otherwise Nvidia is just as guilty of large cards as AMD.

Driver wise, AMD beats Nvidia. Nvidia drivers are bare-bones and come with only a fraction of what's available in AMD drivers. Nvidia's drivers are only as good as AMD's in gaming. Otherwise they are pitifully behind.

I have to contend your last point as well. AMD is the known for value. Just because Nvidia has a bit of a jump on releasing next gen cards doesn't suddenly erase Nvidia's price gouging past. G-Sync? Add $200 to the price of a monitor. AMD's Free-sync? Free. You can expect that anything released by Nvidia is either going to require one of their video cards or a boatload of cash.

I have xfx 280x and play everything maxed out at high fps. Had it for over a year and only next card I will upgrade to is a 395x2. Anything less wouldn't be worth the money. Im sure that wont be at least till end of this year for 4k
got the same same card waiting for 395x2 also

Its going to be 1000 to 1500 when if first arrives. (not that that has stopped me before {2 980 gtx for my system}) Just know that its going to be expensive.

Dimensions is really only an issue for those with small cases. Otherwise, you aren't supposed to shove a beast of a card into a small machine. Nvidia only wins in this area because they just released their next gen cards, which are a bit smaller.
That happened with the introduction of Kepler, which brought a lower power utilization envelope which led to the GTX 670 (and later 760) using a foreshortened PCB. Once the blower addition was removed from the card, you had a pretty decent choice of mITX targeted cards. The 970 is more or less an extension of lower power paradigm. Losing out on efficiency, makes AMD's architecture ill suited for such dimensions - at least at that performance level of graphics.
Otherwise Nvidia is just as guilty of large cards as AMD.
More or less. (Playing the pedant here) For reference cards, Nvidia has kept to 10.5" (267mm) for years (since 2006) as were ATI/AMD's. AMD's have been creeping up in size for the last few generations. From 10.6" (270mm) for the 6950/6970, the HD 7970/280X/290/290X have all been 10.83" (275mm).
As for AIB's, they are only bound by the ATX specification -maximum length of 12.283" (312mm).
Driver wise, AMD beats Nvidia. Nvidia drivers are bare-bones and come with only a fraction of what's available in AMD drivers. Nvidia's drivers are only as good as AMD's in gaming. Otherwise they are pitifully behind.
I'd tend to argue that most of the CCC options aren't all that useful -at least I've never found them so (tended to use the basic driver* + RadeonPro / ATI Tray Tools). They give the appearance of full features but don't really deliver that much. Overclocking? What's the CCC OC limit these days? Display tweaking? Most people I know that do so -including myself, set up our own ICC profiles using dedicated software. If you want to switch profiles without delving into the OS, just use a utility like Color Sustainer.
I have to contend your last point as well. AMD is the known for value. Just because Nvidia has a bit of a jump on releasing next gen cards doesn't suddenly erase Nvidia's price gouging past.
Seems a bit reductive don't you think. Most people buy/compare based on current pricing. Using your logic, we should avoid Samsung and LG monitors because of their price fixing past, and Nvidia and AMD graphics because of their price fixing past. Price fixing is worse than charging a higher price than their competitor, right?...and that's without even touching upon antitrust and IP theft. At least the consumer has a choice over an individual vendors pricing...not quite as much when the fix is in.
You can expect that anything released by Nvidia is either going to require one of their video cards or a boatload of cash.
Most everything, but not everything. As an example, Nvidia developed the MXM (mobile PCI-Express module) and handed the spec and development over to an independent authority. While it is a bummer that Nvidia do tend to charge more for product, it also seems to translate directly into R&D and features that are first to market (G-Sync, adaptive V-sync, GeForce Experience, ShadowPlay etc.). Whether or not the features offset the price you pay is rather dependent upon what individual user values them at - which tends to directly translate into market share.

* The one thing that would have made me install CCC was provision for game profiles, but that was pitifully late in arriving to Catalyst (intro'd for Forceware in 2004 - albeit fairly buggy at first)

AMD, you're using a rebrand for the 380 series. I'm sick of your ****.

my 280x is a 2012 card... not having it happen again.

AMD, you're using a rebrand for the 380 series. I'm sick of your ****.
I wouldn't worry about it until the specifications are known. At the moment it is part speculation, part guesswork, and part interpretation of anonymous benchmarks.

Back