AMD's six-core Thuban CPU to launch April 26?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Only a few days ago rumors surfaced that AMD's 890GX and 880G chipsets would debut on March 1 and April 26. Now, word has trickled from Sunnyvale that the company's six-core Thuban processor will be showcased at CeBIT 2010 (March 2 to 6) and corresponding with the aforesaid 880G launch, OCWorkbench claims Thuban will also be released on April 26. Previous speculation suggested Thuban would appear in May.

AMD has kept a tight lid on its new hexa-core processor, so next week's unveiling should be interesting. To recap what we've heard about the chip: it will land in three iterations branded Phenom II X6 1035T, 1055T, and 1075T, all of which are 45nm-based and compatible with AM2+ and AM3 sockets, so they should work with existing motherboards -- though, a BIOS update might be required.

Earlier this month, we also heard that Thuban will have some form of hardware-based dynamic speed boost technology called "C-state performance boost," which would act similarly to the Turbo Boost feature found in some Core i5 and i7 processors.

Permalink to story.

They sound hot and it's great being able to buy and place them on existing am2+ motherboards with a bios update ofcourse;-). I'll be buying one next year maybe for my M3A79-t deluxe motherboard(when there will be updated versions i geuss) or in 2012 with an AM3 motherboard using 890fx+850sb chipset. Really looking forward to it :-D.

I do not expect to see any third revision. Next year there is planned a totally new design (with probably a new socket) to replace this.

It's funny how AMD are releasing there gfx cards and smashing up nvidea for range at the moment when there getting smashed by intel who are releasing a phenomenal amount of cpus that AMD have yet to answer for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back