TechSpot

AMD's upcoming mobile APUs make 'Jaguar' next-gen console chips obsolete

By Scorpus
Nov 14, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Think that shiny new gaming console you'll be picking up in the coming weeks has the latest and greatest APU technology from AMD? Think again, as AMD recently announced a new range of mobile APUs that effectively render the semi-custom...

Read more

2. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,476   +2,034

By time these Puma core chips released they'll already be obsolete because AMD will be putting the final touches to it's successor while still developing Puma's successor successor if that makes sense.

SantistaUSA likes this.
  3. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,212   +174

"My new computer's got the clocks, it rocks
    But it was obsolete before I opened the box"

4. TrueBooleanFals

TrueBooleanFals TS Member Posts: 76   +12

Hilarious, Love it!

* I used to say something along the lines of 'Wii are the Revolution' back when the Wii was called the Revolution... I was hoping the 'Wii' name was a joke and meant for Japan.

5. Polaco

Polaco TS Rookie Posts: 46   +8

I think people that buys a console does not care about it having the latest chip in the market, just think in gaming. If consoles will be waiting for the last technology they would be waiting forever to release a product. So what is the point of this article demeaning consoles ? demeaning AMD?

mosu likes this.
  6. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,290   +239

A lot has been put lately into AMD providing the chips for the next gen consoles (and how powerful they are), so I'd have to say this article is pointing out that AMD is not resting on its laurels? What I got from it was that AMD's next iteration of mobile APUs has some serious potential to put better mobile PC gaming in our hands next year. Didn't seem demeaning at all, really... Just another confirmation that PC gaming is superior to consoles ;)

SantistaUSA and misor like this.
  7. Well said sir , well said

8. kamz999

kamz999 TS Rookie Posts: 22

Arent jaguar chips being used in PS4 and XBONE?

9. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Evangelist Posts: 1,631   +432

AMD's upcoming mobile APUs make 'Jaguar' next-gen console chips obsolete

10. Fbarnett

Fbarnett TS Booster Posts: 206   +30

Amd better keep plowing forward or they will die. They have given up on the desktop market. Ho[efully they find something that they can be really good at. we need the compitetion