AMD's Vega takes on Nvidia's GTX 1080 Ti as both companies hold events on the same day

midian182

Staff member

Excited about AMD’s Vega GPU line? Can’t wait to see the performance of Nvidia’s GTX 1080 Ti? There’s a good chance that we'll soon discover a lot more about both companies’ highly anticipated products, and on the same day, too.

With the annual Game Developers Conference less than two weeks away, AMD and Nvidia have just announced events that will take place during GDC - both of which are happening on February 28.

At 10:30 AM PT, AMD will start live-streaming its “Capsaicin and Cream” event. The firm says it will be “a feature-packed show highlighting the hottest new graphics and VR technologies propelling the games industry forward.” While we can expect to hear some official Vega announcements, there’ll doubtlessly be plenty of talk about AMD’s upcoming Ryzen CPUs as well, which are expected in early March.

Nvidia isn’t letting its rival grab all the spotlight, though. The green team’s “GeForce GTX Gaming Celebration” will contain some “amazing surprises” and be something “you won’t want to miss.” It starts at 7 PM, but there’s no word on whether it will also be live streamed.

Nvidia’s invite says to expect "an evening of awesome PC gaming, hardware, tournaments, and of course free food.” There’s no specific mention of the 1080Ti, but seeing as the graphics card didn’t make its expected appearance at CES, an absence here would be a huge surprise.

Something we’ll almost certainly see at Nvidia’s event is its new GeForce Now service, which lets users play graphically intensive games on low-end PCs and Macs. An early access version of the “gaming PC on demand product” ($25 for 10 hours on a GTX 1080 PC) is coming in March, so expect to find out more details on the 28th.

Permalink to story.

I expect AMD will offer great performance for the price - nVidia Higher Performance for a premium. Much like AMD's Ryzen CPU - great performance for the price which is expected to shame intel's Kaby Lake. This could be AMD's year... but is it sustainable. Feels like 1999 all over again.

Excited about AMD’s Vega GPU line? Nope. Can’t wait to see the performance of Nvidia’s GTX 1080 Ti? Yep.

After being an almost exclusive intel and nvidia buyer for approx 14 years, it looks like I'm going to be owning an all AMD rig for the first time. Nvidias dirty tricks and intels price gouging has taken its toll with me. There's something particularly nasty about nvidias practises that makes me want AMD to give them a right good kick in the balls.

At this point in my life (low 30's) I just enjoy the competitiveness of these companies. AMD is continually the underdog but you have to admire their passion/support for PC Enthusiasts. Their Catalyst software is finally gone (still available for older GPU's obviously but not moving forward) and they have some solid GPU choices if you want to save a buck. I just wish they didn't require extensive cooling but hey, not a major complaint.

For the sake of entertainment I will be happy to see them duke it once again, and when the dust settles everyone wins. Here's to hoping the GTX 1080Ti lowers the price on the 1070 and 1080.

Last edited:
Excited about AMD’s Vega GPU line? Nope. Can’t wait to see the performance of Nvidia’s GTX 1080 Ti? Yep.

Really?
We know how the 1080ti is going to perform; almost as well as the Titan XP.

VEGA is a mystery and I hope they give nvidia a run for their money. Unfortunately I have a G Sync display so locked into their ecosystem so the best I can hope for is a competitive market otherwise I'll be sticking with the 980ti for some time yet.

At this point in my life (low 30's) I just enjoy the competitiveness of these companies. AMD is continually the underdog but you have to admire their passion/support for PC Enthusiasts. Their Catalyst software is finally gone (still available for older GPU's obviously but not moving forward) and they have some solid GPU choices if you want to save a buck. I just wish they didn't require extensive cooling but hey, not a major complaint.

For the sake of entertainment I will happy to see them duke it once again, and when the dust settles everyone wins. Here's to hoping the GTX 1080Ti lowers the price on the 1070 and 1080.

Hopefully AMD does well on Ryzen and VEGA so the GPU and CPU market can stay heated for years to come.

I can bet the big Vega outclasses even Titan X, because it's a second generation graphic card on 14 nm and it looks Global Foundries did refine their process, so we can expect 1.5 GHz for it.Also it' s a new architecture, coming along with better efficiency.

Really?
We know how the 1080ti is going to perform; almost as well as the Titan XP.

VEGA is a mystery and I hope they give nvidia a run for their money. Unfortunately I have a G Sync display so locked into their ecosystem so the best I can hope for is a competitive market otherwise I'll be sticking with the 980ti for some time yet.

don't waste your time replying to fan boys.

My latest card is a GTX 1070, which I'm pretty happy with. First time I didn't spring for the top of the line card from nvidia in over a decade. I'd love to see great cards at lower prices again...finally a little competition.

don't waste your time replying to fan boys.

Well, you can call me a fanboy because I lost my faith in AMD. There`s always tremendous hype, but then they fail time and time again. Sure I want to see a 1080gtx killer in Vega, but most likely will be something boring, almost as good, a little cheaper and NEWER, that`s their selling point, while if a 1080ti gets close to Titan and it`s much cheaper I would be interested in buying one.

After being an almost exclusive intel and nvidia buyer for approx 14 years, it looks like I'm going to be owning an all AMD rig for the first time. Nvidias dirty tricks and intels price gouging has taken its toll with me. There's something particularly nasty about nvidias practises that makes me want AMD to give them a right good kick in the balls.
Geesus, I could not say it better.

Intel and Microsoft are monopolies, and therefore control their respective markets. Monopolies=bad for customer.
I am hopeful that AMD can put Intel in its place, as it did 15 or so years ago. Microsoft has no competition, and that is why we are stuck with Windows 10. I sure wish Microsoft had some competition, so I can upgrade from Windows 7 to something that does not resemble a mobile OS.

Can't agree with you more than that. I am going all AMD again no matter if intel and nvidia have the crown..
I really do no longer care the premium prices are insane for even an medium product they charge super premium prices... I am sick of the nonsense, people constant fall for the 7 to 10 % ipc gain ***** crap.
And again and again pay more for less ... What strikes me the most in regard to cpu is that many people act like they need a faster cpu ... while they hardly ever use the true power of them. In fact most of the friends who own them actually only show them off at birthdays and parties to impress and bragg about that they have the fastest. I can promise you that those machines are not even used one hour in a day ... So why they do it bragging obvious and because they can thats it... nothing more nothing less. Hell his favorite games you can run on a i3 with ease... So I am sick and tired of all this nonsense. I look at what I need and want to pay a normal price for that what I need. So I am probably going to see how well the ryzen will perform and wait till they release the 4 and 6 cores because I don't need a 8 core. Ofocurse I have to sell my intel and nvidia crap with a loss but thats normal nowadays you pay 600 euro for a 1070 and when you want to sell it you have todo with a 50% loss in selling it. See how ***** people are becoming.

My latest card is a GTX 1070, which I'm pretty happy with. First time I didn't spring for the top of the line card from nvidia in over a decade. I'd love to see great cards at lower prices again...finally a little competition.
Well I am not happy with the 1070 I bought because even though many claim its a good card for 1440p I can promise you its not. I can play the games at high well yes but that I did with the old 780 as well. Nothing new here.
So the claim that the 1070 (gainward phoenix GS) is a great card for 1440p and 1080p is bs, its a great card only for 1080p thats it.
Now before people start babling about AMD I had a xfx rx480 black edition and ran games on it at ultra YES it did run the games well. The only thing what made me decide not to keep it was the insane cooler noise. Ofcourse it you look at the stupid benchmarks the 1070 is faster ( firestrike 15300) thats mainly because of the physx score the AMD did at firestrike 11500 btw... but in reality the 1070 is not really that impressive. The only good thing it is silent thats it but it really does suck at 1440p the small AMD card felt much more fluent at 1440p ultra .. yes thats right ultra not high.

I like how you think ;)

That's why I bought a RX 480

"I see you`re an emotional player. I`ll raise you and say it will trade blows with 1080gtx, at most."
I agree I do not know too much about !080 Ti because I don't care, but Vega is huge and fast.

For the sake of entertainment I will be happy to see them duke it once again, and when the dust settles everyone wins. Here's to hoping the GTX 1080Ti lowers the price on the 1070 and 1080.

I miss the Catalyst software, was so much better than the dumbed down Crimson version on my laptop. Now I have to set the profile to always run on the AMD card when plugged on power or it's a pain to get it work, even then I found myself playing The Witcher 3 on Intel HD Graphics and I thought "wow my gpu sucks".

Back