TechSpot

Americans can't live without high-speed Internet, or e-mail

By Emil
Dec 23, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Adults agree that the expansion of high-speed Internet has had the greatest technological impact on society over the past decade. A Zogby International interactive survey polled 1,950 adults from December 8 to December 10, 2010 to ask them what technology they found to have made the biggest difference in their lives.

Read the whole story

2. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,576   +47

I'm sure they could live without that stuff if they tried. Besides, these surveys are complete shash...2000 people in a country with more than 300 million. Not very reliable is it.

3. Emil

Emil TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 154

If you've ever taken a statistics class you'll know that's how it works.

4. matrix86

matrix86 TS Maniac Posts: 803   +9

Agreed.

That would be pretty cool

I'll pass on this one

Isn't that the whole purpose of having children? That's what my parents always told me, lol. But would still be pretty cool.

Heck yes!

So...if I killed facebook, then these people would also die...correct? *evil laughter*

5. Benny26

:haha: People actually go to "statistics classes"...Well, kudos to them then.

C'mon, asking less than 0.1 percent of countrys population "this or that", and then applying it to the entire country is just ludicrous in my view.

6. mkennedy823

mkennedy823 TS Rookie

wait.. we have high speed internet in America ? since when ?

7. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,716

It's called a sample survey. Do you expect them to do a census survey and ask everyone in the US?

8. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +98

I can't live without either of these, it frankly does my cheese crackers in if I can't access my email, or internet on my pc, laptop or mobile phone.

I always knew I should have been American! :haha:

9. Benny26

I'd expect a little more than %0.1 of the population, and more than 2 days worth of data before i see lines like "26 percent of American's....".

More like a lazy misleading survey, than a sample one.

10. What is it high-speed broadband in US? Is it same like in Lithuania?

[​IMG]

11. speedtest.net/result/1082667023.png

12. High speed Internet, yeah I would have severe withdrawals if my daily life didn't have it, but as for email and Facebook. I can do without both. Email is only important to me for order confirmations and while I'm on Facebook, I find it to be the most useless thing ever run across online by me. I only got on Facebook to locate an old friend from work who had moved and lost touch with. Other than that it's pointless to tell every time you fart or take a crap. I guess self absorbtion is not one of my faults. Merry Christmas All!

13. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,511   +314

Wait a minute, 15% cannot live without facebook?! you HAVE to be joking?...Right?

I mean, people who are obsessed with Facebook are pretty sad in the first place that they HAVE to know what everyones status's are. But to actually come up with "I cannot live in this world without facebook"
    Is one of the most horrific sentences I have read in the past decade.

14. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,456   +228

Take the statement reflected in the title of the article for what it is: Hyperbole. Of course, people can actually live without it. It's an exaggeration phrased that way for eye catching dramatic effect. I wouldn't be surprised if the careless wording of the survey had something to do with way the outcome sounds.

Just like this: "...Is one of the most horrific sentences I have read in the past decade." Really? Certainly an example of more hyperbole IMHO.

15. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,511   +314

ooww come on! Its only facebook, i'm just absolutely amazed that real human beings actually answered the survey "cannot live without facebook".

Isn't that a sign of some sort to the inteligence level of some people?

16. mailpup

You could be right but I don't really take these kinds of surveys too seriously nor do I try to read to much into them or the people who respond. That's just me though. Don't get me wrong. They can be interesting and they do create some discussion but, in a manner of speaking, I don't get too excited about them.

17. matrix86

......I don't even know how to respond to this, lol. I can't even...I just...I don't even know how to express it. All I can really say is, "dude, you're taking this a little too literal." I know people who have gone to very prestigious colleges who don't take things as seriously as you took this wording....have you been hiding in your mother's basement all these years? Lol

18. mailpup

In what way am I taking this too literally? I don't quite follow. How do you take it then?

19. matrix86

You went into a lecture on the title about how people actually can live without it saying it's for dramatic effect......DUH! We know that. Not sure why you felt the need to go on a tangent about the title. Took it a little too serious there, my friend, lol.

20. mailpup

I was merely responding to Burty117's post (post #13) just above me. In retrospect maybe it wasn't done clearly enough but Burty117 seemed to understand that because of his response. In that context I was only kidding around with him. Notice in my followup (post #16) I actually said I didn't take it seriously.

21. gobbybobby

gobbybobby TS Maniac Posts: 546

Hi speed broadband is what 2 meg? 5 Meg? 10 Meg? 50Meg? 100meg+

Define :''hi speed''

According to the UK government hi speed is 2 Meg. Whats it in America?

22. example1013

example1013 TS Enthusiast Posts: 280

If they did it properly, this survey of 2000 people is more accurate than a census of all 300 million would be.

If you'd actually taken a statistics class, as stated before, you wouldn't be making such ignorant statements.

I can't say that, in fact, this particular survey is actually in any way accurate, but I can say that it's completely possible to get good info from that small a portion of the population.

23. Benny26

Ok so, "28% of American's can't live without high speed internet" based on 2000 people is more accurate than another survey that would include the entire population.

That's just complete BS, and it's factually wrong. Why? because there's a keyword in there-----"American's" (you know, there's about 300 million of them with a voice of their own)
    So how the hell can 2000 "American's" better represent the full 300,000,000?...Oh, i'd really love to know how you work that one out?

AND if you'd actually taken a look at an earlier post of mine, you'd also know that i have the upmost respect to anyone who manages to make it through one of these "classes", without obviously needing a lobotomy at the end (as in my case)...Besides, who doesn't like to be "ignorant"?

Hmmm...I think i actually agree with you here. Yes, good info can be obtained from small surveys, the only bones i have with this one is i think it can easy be misleading to some people and i find it lazy (which is why it's misleading).

Also, people who didn't have the internet can obviously live without high speed internet, but they couldn't register their opinion with this survey because it was an ONLINE survey...This is the what i find misleading about the survey.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.