Amidst controversy, Green Man Gaming now discloses key sources

Shawn Knight

Staff member

A controversy involving third-party online games retailer Green Man Gaming has been brewing on Reddit over the past few days, prompting the retailer to now display the source of their game keys.

Earlier this week, the GameDeals sub-reddit announced that it was once again banning Green Man Gaming as they believed the retailer was selling unauthorized games. As evidence, the sub-reddit provided proof from Activision and Ubisoft indicating Green Man Gaming wasn’t an authorized retailer.

In a bid to settle the controversy, Green Man Gaming published a response on its Facebook page stating that moving forward, all games available for purchase will list the source of the key and when the buyer can expect delivery of the key. The retailer notes that since they have over 5,000 titles to update, it may take a little time for their entire catalog to be updated.

A quick check of Green Man Gaming now reveals the source listed for many games although on some, it simply says “authorized distributor” which could mean anything. What’s more, I’m not seeing a date showing when buyers can expect to receive keys. There’s a “released” field but that’s just the date the game launched. Maybe the expected delivery date is shown during checkout?

For what it's worth, the sub-reddit has confirmed that Green Man Gaming is authorized to sell titles from Bethesda, Electronic Arts, ArenaNET/NCSoft and Devolver Digital.

Have you ever purchased a game from Green Man Gaming? If so, we’d like to hear about your experience. Was it smooth sailing from purchase to delivery or did you run into any hiccups (like an invalid key, for example)? Let us know in the comments section below.

Permalink to story.

I'm not at all keen on digital delivery, I prefer to buy games on disks but when I have used digital delivery it's been from Steam, I wouldn't trust these chumps.

It's so much easier to get things on Steam that I haven't bothered with any other sources of digital distribution, other than when EA started forcing Origin on us just to play Battlefield. Or more recently GoG to activate my free copy of The Witcher 3, which is then not required to play the game itself, WHAT A CONCEPT.

I'm rather skeptical when it comes to these discount key sites, and now we learn that some of those keys may in fact not be legitimate, good to know.

For what it's worth, the only issues I've had was when the Steam servers are overloaded, during the launch of Fallout 4 I was trying to activate a different game and it just wouldn't connect, took over 30 minutes to finally get the game activated, took 2 seconds, and the game was ready.

Never had any issues with GMG, bought about half a dozen games from them for steam and had delivery within moments and all genuine keys. I honestly recommend sites like GMG, kinguin or cdkeys for those times you just can't wait for a steam sale! Kotor for £1.39 a couple of weeks ago for example.

It's so much easier to get things on Steam that I haven't bothered with any other sources of digital distribution, other than when EA started forcing Origin on us just to play Battlefield. Or more recently GoG to activate my free copy of The Witcher 3, which is then not required to play the game itself, WHAT A CONCEPT.

They can be shockingly pricey though, especially for new releases. People don't seem to notice because of the sales, but I find pretty much anywhere else is cheaper.

I got the special edition of project cars with the artbook and the metal case and dlc and everything for 45 euro in gamestop of all places, a store known for ripping people off. On steam it was 60 euro for just the base game and nothing else at the time, don't know what it is now.

I usually rely on Steam, no issues. Also their streaming from gaming rig to other system is super useful. And the family sharing system... I setup games for the boys off my account. I also do tons of key bundles from Indie packs and such. I avoid Origin (and EA) or games that require it. Just zero interest anymore and there's no game good enough to make me install it. GMG has had a few purchases from me, zero issues there. Same with GoG.

I've been a GMG customer for years now and I've spent well over $1000 there. I had complete faith in them because I never ran into any issues. (I rarely pre-order which probably explains it)

But... I'm one of the lucky ones that preordered Battlefront from GMG...

It's been a fiasco on a level I've never experienced before. People were sent an email that keys "might be delayed" a day or two. On the day before launch. That's not cool.

Keys eventually started getting sent yesterday but there are massive numbers of invalid keys. Several people on their forums have received replacement keys that were still bad. The ticket I submitted about the invalid key I received is at 19 hours with no response.

This is the biggest customer service fiasco I have ever seen and it's made worse by GMG refusing to give us any indication as to what went wrong or when/if it will be addressed. GMG had a lot of goodwill built up from me and they burned it to the ground with how this situation has been mishandled.

I'm a GMG customer for a few years now. So far I haven't ran into any issues.

I do however make sure I know what DRM (STEAM, ORIGIN, UPLAY, etc...) that the game will come with so I know how I am gonna redeem my game key.

For example, GTA V was a little different in redeeming then my other STEAM games.

Biggest gripe about GMG, is the lack of a gifting feature.

I've only bought one thing from them, which was Fallout 4 the day it came out. Used the 20% off code, got the key on the receipt page. No issues.

I've been a GMG customer for years now and I've spent well over $1000 there. I had complete faith in them because I never ran into any issues. (I rarely pre-order which probably explains it)

It's been a fiasco on a level I've never experienced before. People were sent an email that keys "might be delayed" a day or two. On the day before launch. That's not cool.

Keys eventually started getting sent yesterday but there are massive numbers of invalid keys. Several people on their forums have received replacement keys that were still bad. The ticket I submitted about the invalid key I received is at 19 hours with no response.

This is the biggest customer service fiasco I have ever seen and it's made worse by GMG refusing to give us any indication as to what went wrong or when/if it will be addressed. GMG had a lot of goodwill built up from me and they burned it to the ground with how this situation has been mishandled.
Joined today, coincidence? Who knows.

I'm a GMG customer for a few years now. So far I haven't ran into any issues.

I do however make sure I know what DRM (STEAM, ORIGIN, UPLAY, etc...) that the game will come with so I know how I am gonna redeem my game key.

For example, GTA V was a little different in redeeming then my other STEAM games.

Biggest gripe about GMG, is the lack of a gifting feature.
Well, I suppose you could always just send them the key, but I get what you mean.

I've only bought one thing from them, which was Fallout 4 the day it came out. Used the 20% off code, got the key on the receipt page. No issues.

Same here, bought it with the Season Pass after the game went live, one or two days after, insta-key and no problem activating it on Steam.

PS: I would aim the blame of the incorrect keys on EA instead of GMG, just sayin'.

I've purchased hundreds of dollars of games (and have saved who knows how much due to their discounting) from GMG with no issues.

I've bought games from GMG and it has been a smooth process. But, I won't buy from them again.

It is wrong to take money for a product that you don't have. It may also be illegal. In the case of pre-orders for games, you should indicate the game is "sold out" when the number of keys you have, or expect to have on launch day, has been exceeded. GMG did not do this. They gladly continued to accept orders until mere hours before the game launched - knowing that they would not have enough keys to fulfill the orders they had received thus far. That is fraud. GMG's actions may have been excusable, if they had offered refunds once they found out the game was oversold. They did not. In fact, their refund policy states they will not refund any purchase within 48 hours of the games launch, which is within the window in which they went public with news that the game was oversold. In effect, if you wanted a refund so you could buy the game through another channel, and play on launch day, you were out of luck. That is a poor way to treat a customer. I won't be purchasing from them again.

Bought steam games from them before. Those who want to have a discount on new games will prefer gmg than steam. Its all in preference. I guess they should validate keys before sending them out especially for preorders.

Joined today, coincidence? Who knows.

Nope, not a coincidence. I saw this article on Google news with a request for user experiences and given what's currently going on I decided to chime in.

I've had no issues with GMG for the limited purchasing I used it for, between here and GamersGate (yes, why the internet picked GG specifically is silly), along with sometimes Humble I get most of my keys. Picked up Black Ops 3 for 28% off, which was during the whole issue of being buggy. So I've left it sit on my account for a while.

I often nab a few games on discount, but I just think if it's too good to be true. Then question if it's viable at least I personally feel, GMG has a bit more credit than the other shady retailers you see streamers promoting.

Green man works fine for me. I bought blops 3 for $39 a few weeks ago at launch. and of course I've been a customer for the last 3 years or so with no problems. I say give em a go.

As long as people get their keys I see no problem with using GMG. It's not like they have been selling fake keys. GMG is not a marketplace like G2A.

There were at least 3 of us in our little group that didn't get keys when promised for the Battlefront launch, 2 of them got refunds supposedly within 10 days, although I don't think they have gotten it yet, and ended up getting them on Origin with no preorder goodies because of GMG botch.

I have ordered from them multiple times. Most recent was Fallout 4 season pass with discount. Pre-ordered couple of games. Never had an issue. I have been able to get good deals on newer games when I want a reputable source close to a games release.

Back