Amount of processes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddo

Currently, i have 41 processes running (Whilst running firefox & MSN), and also my lexmark printer processes...

Is this roughly the average amount to have?

I also have 8 svchost.exe's running, is this okay?..

Thanks

That's about normal

Usually I run Startup and remove as many unwanted startup shortcuts as possible.
Even more info on Startups Here

if you want to know what is really running under SVCHOST.EXE, go to a command prompt and run:
tasklist /svc

Start -> Run -> CMD
OK

On the command line write: tasklist /svc (note space after tasklist)
Enter

Did that work?

Checking in Task Manager in Vista

You can right-click on a particular svchost.exe process, and then choose the "Go to Service" option.

(Xp & Vista)
You can use the excellent Process Explorer utility from Microsoft/Sysinternals to see what services are running as a part of a svchost.exe process.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

You can also go to Start-> Run-> services.msc
And check out all the services running

If you are using Windows XP, you can only get the svchost information with the Command prompt if you have Win XP Pro. The function doesn't work in the Home version.

As for the number of svchost.exe processes, currently I have 9 with browser and email open.

I have 36 processes running. Your number of 41 is slightly high, but not as bad as some. The number of Services set to Automatic will also affect the total process number. You may want to check the Startup list in the msconfig utility as follows:

Start> Run> type in ''msconfig' without the quotes> Selective Start-up> Startup tab> UNCHECK everything except the anti-virus program, firewall if you have one, touchpad if using a laptop and network process if you have network set up. When finished> Apply> OK.

Reboot> Close the nag message that comes up after checking 'don't show this message again'.;

Any other programs or features can be called up when needed.

See if this makes a difference in the number of processes.

And another one that Bobbye has caught me out on!

You can download (again with these downloads!) tasklist from HERE

Then copy to C:\Windows\System32

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back