An Oculus Rift "special announcement" will be made at the Game Awards this Thursday

midian182

Staff member

This Thursday will see the annual Game Awards show taking place in Los Angeles. In addition to highlighting some of the best titles 2015 has brought us, there will be a “special announcement” from Oculus Rift founder Palmer Luckey.

It’s highly likely that Luckey will announce a solid release date and price for the VR device; showing off more titles or functionality for the Rift probably wouldn’t warrant a “special announcement,” although he may reveal some launch titles along with a release date/price. So far, Oculus hasn’t expanded beyond giving “Q1 2016” for when we might get to buy the Rift.

If we do find out more launch information for the device, then Oculus will be the first of the ‘big-three’ VR headsets to confirm its sales details. Both the HTC Vive and PlayStation VR have given vague ‘early-to-mid 2016’ windows for their release dates.

The Game Awards will be streamed live across a number of sites and apps, including YouTube and Twitch. The event will feature performances from CHVRCHES and deadmau5, with “other surprises” in store for viewers. Those who tune in will see the world premiers of Far Cry Primal, Quantum Break and Mortal Kombat X.

Some of the titles up for the coveted ‘Game of the Year’ award include Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, and Fallout 4. Make sure you tune in this Thursday to see who wins.

Permalink to story.

Will be interesting to see! Has anyone out here actually had a chance to use one of them? How well do they adjust for a person that needs glasses? Is the viewer big enough to fit over glasses or allow you to adjust the point of focus to compensate? And hopefully it comes with popcorn ..... lots and lots of popcorn!!!!!!

Will be interesting to see! Has anyone out here actually had a chance to use one of them? How well do they adjust for a person that needs glasses? Is the viewer big enough to fit over glasses or allow you to adjust the point of focus to compensate? And hopefully it comes with popcorn ..... lots and lots of popcorn!!!!!!
I've taken them for a spin but they make me nauseous after a few minutes of usage. At my age there is nobody I know who doesn't sleep with their glasses on let alone wear them full time and they weren't a problem, not to me anyway.
I'm not as awestruck as a lot of people about VR but they do offer an interesting and unique perspective of things and will only get better as they become more refined. Not being an early adopter I won't bother with them right now, I'll still wait a bit for VR to become mainstream and prices to become dirt cheap.

It seems you either love it or you don't. I have several "gamer" friends who don't really care. I myself, look forward to a new level of immersion and potential realism. Now that I think about it... my gamer friends who aren't interested, don't care for realism-based gaming yet I do. Perhaps that will be a commonality. I look forward to flight sims, racing sims, and FPS games with a VR headset.

I currently have 2 DK2 units and a GearVR Innovator edition. I've also recently used the Vive and all of them are absolutely incredible to me. I will admit that the Vive is quite a bit better than the DK2, but I'm curious to see how the CV1 will change things. It probably doesn't hurt that this is now part of my job and I kind of have to stay on top of these emerging technologies.

Let's not forget they're owned by Facebook.

That means nothing at all. Facebook are a parent company they aren't involved in the production, designing or anything else for that matter its still Oculus.

Having used the DK2 unit I am looking forward to this final build and I will deffo be buying it. When I first tried it out with demos like Room with a chair or some physco ward, I could see great potential for VR with jump scare style games. I then tested it out on Half Life2, Skyrim and Minecraft and this is where the headset really shone. It's hard to explain or much is changes the game. Like in minecraft to stand face to face with a skeleton you really did feel like you was the same height of them and stood next to them. When you entered buildings it honestly felt like you was walking into and around them. Skyrim and HL2 was a whole other kettle of fish. Obviously these games were much more details than minecraft and it was if you had been transported into a whole new work it really was amazing. You could move your head fowards and backwards to look closely at items, you were in essence in skyrim.

I was an early adopter of nvidia 3d vision which was fun for a while but no where near what VR is. With a monitor its like you are looking through a window into this vast 3D environment, with VR it's as if you have climbed inside your monitor ...

I'm also looking forward to the new control methods, with the DK2 I used the 360 joypad which worked but did feel like it was outside of the game and no ideal (even though the rift will ship with a xbox one elite pad).

Oh PS make sure you play with lots of space, I have nutted the wall before whilst playing :D

Back