Analog or Digital?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Master Toddy

Well, I just recieved my Logitech Z-680 5.1 speakers. They support either analog or digital, and if I'm correct, the Audigy 2 supports either analog or digital. So, I was wondering, which is better, analog or digital?

I would expect the digital output would be the best way to go, but, personally, I would have to experiment with it both ways, to see if there was any difference in the sound. Besides, after all this time, I bet you've got them hooked up already, I know I would if it was me, I couldn't wait. I've never used or heard those speakers, but everything I've heard about them is good.

Acutally, I don't have them hooked up just yet :(. I got them, but for what I wanted to do (mount the surround speakers high on the wall in all four corners of my room), the cord wasn't long enough, so I went to radio shack and got a 24-ft cord. Now I'm just waiting for my dad to come help me set them up (hopefully in the next hour they should be up and my room should be shaking) :). I will say this: The sub is HUGE! Well, the speakers are kinda big too. My previous system was the Cambridge Soundworks 4.1 FourPointSurroudn speakers, and compared to those speakers and the old sub, it's about twice as big (both speakers and the sub). There's a useful remote included, and a control center, with lots of configuration options. I tend to be a bit of an audiophile, so I should be in heaven with this and my audigy 2.

I know what you mean about being an audiophile, I am too. I am a whole lot more knowledgeable in that than I am in computers. The only reason I said try them both ways, is I don't know which one has the best Dolby decoder. Others here might be able to tell you better than me, but I think I would still go the digital output. Good luck, and happy listening.

analog for gaming, digital for DVDs and I think you'll only get two channel PCM digital with the Audigy but I think you can convert that to Dolby ProLogic Surround or something similar for music.

Originally posted by olefarte
I would expect the digital output would be the best way to go, but, personally, I would have to experiment with it both ways, to see if there was any difference in the sound.

Word. Digital seems way better to me IMO because you need to only hook it up to one hole in your audigy 2, on the other hand, the other setting requires 3 hookups--- a pain in the *** if you go to lan parties every week.

My SB Audigy 2 Platinum doesn't have color coded holes so it's a pain in the *** for me.

Originally posted by TS | Thomas
Analog is the way to go with that combination if you want more than 2 channel output.

Actually, there are Digital 5.1/6.1 speakers out if thats what you mean by channels.

The Logitech system will only play 2 channels over digital unless you're sending DTS/AC-3 to it, or using some up-mixing mode, but who wants that ehh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back