TechSpot

Analogue Interactive shrinks its gorgeous aluminum NES by 20 percent, lowers price

By Shawn Knight
Aug 22, 2016
Post New Reply
  1. Analogue Interactive, makers of our favorite all-aluminum Nintendo Entertainment System remake, have developed a smaller version of their trademark Analogue Nt console that’ll arrive early next year.

The aptly-named Analogue Nt mini is 20 percent smaller than the original and comes with 1080p HDMI output as well as RGB, Component, S-Video and Composite built right in. Buyers also get a NES30 controller from 8bitdo should you choose to play wirelessly although there are four original NES controller ports on the console if you’re after a more authentic experience.

The region-free system will play more than 2,000 NES, Famicom and Famicom Disk System games (via expansion port), a fact that Analogue Interactive is quick to point out.

Nintendo’s upcoming NES Classic, if you recall, is a nearly identical miniature replica of the original NES except that it can’t play carts. Instead, the mini console will come loaded with 30 of the top NES games of all-time including The Legend of Zelda, Super Mario Bros. 1-3, Mike Tyson’s Punch-Out!! and Excitebike, just to name a few.

Like the original, the Analogue Nt mini won’t come cheap. Expect to pay $449 for the system which you can pre-order as of writing. That's no doubt a lot of money but it's actually $50 cheaper than the full-size Nt system and several thousand less than the 24k gold-plated version.

Look for it to ship in January 2017.

Permalink to story.

2. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,506   +498

It's a bit expensive and looks like a kitchen appliance...

3. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,333   +267

Honestly I wasn't a fan of the styling before, and even being 20% smaller and 10% cheaper it still doesn't appeal to me... more power to those that it does appeal to.

4. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,550   +2,894

Only if $449 comes with the 2000 games.

5. psycros

psycros TS Evangelist Posts: 1,319   +709

Or you could get an NES emulator and download all the games for free, perhaps adding a NES PC controller for $20 or so.
    It would need to include a pair of authentic controllers as well, access to an online library of games and maybe a talking dog to justify that laughable price. Or you could get an NES emulator and download all the games for free, perhaps adding a NES PC controller for $20 or so.

Timonius and cliffordcooley like this.
  6. Theinsanegamer

Theinsanegamer TS Guru Posts: 369   +320

Because I want to carry my bulky desktop into my living room to play some mario bros on my TV.

7. cliffordcooley

I get what you are saying, but this is NES. NES emulation should run on a 10year old portable. The requirements are not all that high.

8. Misagt

Misagt TS Booster Posts: 100   +43

This targets the tech illiterate. As the percentage of people who know tech would purchase this I would assume to be very small. I'm sure they will do very well as there is a whole generation of people who played NES that are now in their 30's-40's, with money to burn and will buy this. As P.T. Barnum said, "there is a sucker born every minute." Just be glad you aren't in the group of people that see value here :p

9. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,506   +498

Get a Pi kit, for less than $80 you can purchase a Raspberry Pi, an hdmi cable, power adapter a case and even a memory card, then download one of the retropi versions out there and put it in the memory card, and +$20 for a wired or wireless controller and you can even play N64 os PSP/PSX titles (Chrono Chross I'm looking at you).

Or you could probably do a similar setup with your phone and cast it to a tv, hell, you can even buy a new slim notebook for the price of this console that will run almost every emulator you throw at it.

Disclaimer: Roms are not free, that is illegal, if you bought the game at one point it could be a backup but at no point it's recommended that you download "free" games, they are not free.

10. cliffordcooley

Oh I do see value, just not $450 for the console alone. The console no matter how they made it would not exceed a value of $50. My value on 30 year old games is 20 cents a game.

11. theBest11778

theBest11778 TS Addict Posts: 233   +67

I disagree. I don't see paying $450/$500 for these things, but $149/$199 is probably get one.