Analyse my minidump plz.

By korrupt
Oct 28, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I was copying some brushes from my portable hdd to my Photoshop folder when I got a BSOD... I didn't get to take down the error ccode cause it restarted automatically. I've attached a minidump. Other symptoms have been CRC errors during copying of files from /:c drive to portable hdd, and freezing.

I'm 99.99% sure my harddrive is on its way out, but just need confirmation. Is there anything I can do to "isolate" all the bad sectors to avoid purchasing a new drive since I am completely broke?

Replies appreciated.

Korrupt
  2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso Newcomer, in training Posts: 25,948   +19

Your minidump crashes with memory corruption and a bugcheck of 77.

I agree that your hard drive may be the culprit. However, it can also be caused by a boot sector virus. Use your antivirus software to see if you do have a boot sector virus. If that comes up clean, then I suggest you download and run your hard drive manufacturers drive diagnostic utilitiy. If you can`t find it, take a look at this thread HERE.

You should also check your page file as per this thread HERE.

More info on a bugcheck of 77 can be found HERE.

Regards Howard :)
  3. korrupt

korrupt Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 1,060

Thank you, I've already ran diagnostic software etc, and it does show that I have a lot of bad sectors in my harddrive. How would I go about isolating these sectors?

Thanks again,

Korrupt
  4. howard_hopkinso

I`m not entirely sure that`s possible, or even desirable. If your hard drive has bad sectors popping up, then I feel it may be time to get a new one.

However, having said that, your hard drive manufacturers diagnostic utility should be able to do a complete low level format. This may or may not fix the bad sectors issue.

5. korrupt

korrupt Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 1,060

I'm sorry, but could you explain what exactly a low level format is?

Korrupt
  6. howard_hopkinso

A low level format will restore your hard drive to how it was straight from the factory. It may be able to repair the bad sectors. A normal format, wouldn`t be able to do this properly.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.