Android 5.1 Lollipop surfaces on Android One smartphones

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Google has quietly launched the first major update to its newest mobile operating system. Android 5.1 Lollipop was first spotted on Google’s Android One website (references to it have since been removed) and has even shown up on some users’ handsets although the official change log still hasn’t updated.

With the search giant remaining mum on the matter for now and no official change log to consult, the only thing we have to go on at this hour is a leaked change log acquired by Android Pit back in mid-December.

android lollipop google software smartphone mobile os os android one android 5.1

Below is the complete list of changes that we may see with Android 5.1 Lollipop:

• Silent mode added after missing on Android 5.0
  • General improvements in system stability
  • Improved RAM management
  • Fixes for sudden app closures
  • Improved battery management
  • Excessive consumption of network devices when used Wi-Fi fixed
  • Issues with wireless connections fixed
  • Problems with Okay Google function solved
  • Notifications problems solved
  • Some sound problems experience by certain devices fixed
  • Other improvements and changes
  • Changes in the Material Design color palette (after users complaints, possibly for a higher version though)

Again, it’s still too early to know for sure if this change log is accurate. The one thing I can comment on is that we’re probably looking at some pretty significant updates to warrant calling it Android 5.1 versus minor bug fixes that might otherwise result in Android 5.0.3.

google android software smartphone mobile os os android one lollipop android 5.1

According to a separate report from Android Police, the new OS is already shipping on Android One handsets in Indonesia and they’ve got plenty of photo evidence to back it up.

We’ll keep an eye on the matter and update this post when Google makes an official announcement and publishes a change log.

Permalink to story.

I like this Android One thing, it makes sense in a lot of markets, I hope we get it one day but for the moment it seems to be in the sub continent only.

Back