Android console maker Ouya said to be looking for a quick sale

Shawn Knight

Staff member

ouya gaming acquisition kickstarter android games

Things have gone from bad to worse for struggling Android game console maker Ouya. After falling on hard times over the past year or two, the company inked a deal with Xiaomi to bring its catalog of games to China. That ray of hope appears to have moved on, however, as CEO Julie Uhrman is said to be looking for a quick sale.

In a confidential e-mail to investors and advisors obtained by Fortune, Uhrman said the company is looking to drum up interest by the end of the month. The primary focus right now is simply trying to recover as much investor capital as possible, she added.

Uhrman was quick to stand by her product, saying they believe they’ve built something real and valuable. In the memo, she said she continues to read tweets and e-mails from fans that play the console every day and their catalog now consists of more than 1,000 apps from 40,000 developers.

Ouya got its start on Kickstarter in the summer of 2012 and quickly became one of the site’s early successes. In total, backers pledged a whopping $8.59 million which still ranks fifth among the all-time most funded campaigns behind the Pebble Time, Coolest Cooler, the original Pebble and the Exploding Kittens card game.

Despite its early pop, the company had a hard time convincing casual buyers to spend money on it and differentiating itself from the eventual copycat Android consoles

Permalink to story.

I have one. I'll admit I don't game on it very much anymore, but that's merely because I don't game much at all anymore. I'm interested in the games, but I'm just not interested in playing them anymore. It's depressing...

I wonder if she'll be interested if I offered her $10 for her company... Yeah, I'm not in the least bit surprised this has happened, it always looked like a dead loss venture to me. Mind you any game not played on the PC platform is a dead loss to me.

I still use both of mine daily as a media center using Kodi. Still plays back 99% of everything I watch.

Back