Android gathers 81% smartphone market share in Q3, Windows Phone sees huge growth

Scorpus

Staff member

android windows phone google apple microsoft ios blackberry smartphone market share strategy analytics

The latest market share statistics from Strategy Analytics are in, and unsurprisingly Android is still the king of the hill, dominating the global smartphone market with a whopping 81.3% share. However, the best results for Q3 2013 lay in the Windows Phone camp, with Microsoft seeing its share double from 2.1% to 4.1% year-on-year on the back of 10.2 million device shipments.

Apple's market share dipped year-on-year for Q3 this year, despite the company selling more phones than the same period last year. Meanwhile, BlackBerry continues its dive into obsolescence, having taken a significant market share and device shipments hit.

Strategy Analytics: Global smartphone OS shipments and market share (units in millions)

Operating System 3Q13 Shipments 3Q13 Market Share 3Q12 Shipments 3Q12 Market Share Year-over-Year Change
Android 204.4 81.3% 129.6 75.0% 57.7%
iOS 33.8 13.4% 26.9 15.6% 25.6%
Windows Phone 10.2 4.1% 3.7 2.1% 176%
BlackBerry OS 2.5 1.0% 7.4 4.3% -66.2%
Others 0.5 0.2% 5.2 3.0% -90.3%
Total 251.4 100% 172.8 100% 45.5%

Strategy Analytics notes that Android will find it hard to grow its market share any further, especially with the recent launch of the iPhone 5s and 5c. However, Apple won't reclaim its share easily, as the high-end Android-powered Nexus 5 selling for just $349 off-contract is sure to attract a wide range of buyers.

Permalink to story.

Yea .. I will probably jump ship from i5s to NEXUS when my phone dies

I'm very impressed with the huge gain in the Windows Phone users. Those I have spoken with that own a Windows Phone are rather adamant in defending it and it does seem like it has been much improved.
I'm currently using an Android for 2 reasons:
1) Windows Phone 7 left a very bad taste in my mouth, and made me swear to never use a Windows Phone (though I might reconsider now)
2) Blizzard only supports Android and iOS for their mobile apps.

If I were to buy a new phone I would prefer android first and windows secomd other than that would consider a feature phone over iOS anyday.

Do you really think someone who bought I Windows Phone is going to tell you they made a mistake?

Those iOS number don't seem right to me. Last year's shipments 26.9, this year 33.8. That doesn't equate to a 25.6% increase... :/

Those iOS number don't seem right to me. Last year's shipments 26.9, this year 33.8. That doesn't equate to a 25.6% increase... :/

Ignore me, I looked at the wrong thing. I saw the percentages the first time I looked, going from 15.6 to 13.4. I saw that as shipments. I'm tired. Leave me be :(

I'm very impressed with the huge gain in the Windows Phone users. Those I have spoken with that own a Windows Phone are rather adamant in defending it and it does seem like it has been much improved.
I'm currently using an Android for 2 reasons:
1) Windows Phone 7 left a very bad taste in my mouth, and made me swear to never use a Windows Phone (though I might reconsider now)
2) Blizzard only supports Android and iOS for their mobile apps.

Blizzard does have the Battle.net Authenticator available on Windows phone, but not much else. I don't see much of a difference from WP7 to WP8, other than a better camera for the higher end Lumia models and some more apps available in the store. Base OS hasn't changed that much, but app availability has always been my biggest complaint. Still no official Google love, they've killed YouTube time and time again, and only 3rd party apps for stuff like Google Voice. I feel the OS itself is very stable, just need more 3rd party availability...

@Guest with mistake remark: My Lumia 920 is whole lot more fun to use compared to this S3 I am typing from right now. Biggest plus for WP is rock solid stability and snappy performance compared to this android phone. Which become almost unusable at times due to app crashes, and slow downs. All due to extremely poor memory management of OS. Compare this 920, it only needed reboots after couple of major OS updates, otherwise, consistently good performance and excellent resource management.

Most of the apps I use (may be not many as someone else may use) except flipboard are available, beside it is expected that in coming months some remaining missing apps will be coming to WP. So if someone wants a smartphone that just work day in and day out WP is a good choice. However, if someone wants some fancy icons with a copycat UI slapped on top of an rather resource hungry OS any droid should do the job.

Corporations are married to Windows, thats why.

We are talking WP here, not Windows. WP market share in the corporate world is very low at the moment compared to iPhone and Android.

I've used both Android tablet and phones before, but I am much more impressed with WP8. The apps are getting better everyday. The whole YouTube thing is Google's power play; not MS fault. WP can be improved (and needs to be), but it is heading towards the right direction so far with updates, performance, etc.

We are talking WP here, not Windows. WP market share in the corporate world is very low at the moment compared to iPhone and Android.

I've used both Android tablet and phones before, but I am much more impressed with WP8. The apps are getting better everyday. The whole YouTube thing is Google's power play; not MS fault. WP can be improved (and needs to be), but it is heading towards the right direction so far with updates, performance, etc.

Microsoft bundles their WPs along side Windows 8, Office, Surface, Lync, and Exchange.

Back