TechSpot

Android L battery life test reveals 36% improvement over KitKat

By Shawn Knight
Jul 2, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. As you may or may not know, Google has a knack for focusing on one particular "project" during the development of each major Android release.

Read more

2. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,498   +306

A friend at work has this on his Nexus Tablet and so far has been nothing but impressed. Something that impressed me and wasn't mentioned in the article, Android L tells you how long until your battery is charged, such a little thing, made me very happy xD

3. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,242   +79

I have to say I'm hyper hyped over these news... to think a *smart*phone might actually live through the day and you don't end up beating yourself if you forgot to charge it overnight!

4. Finally , what the masses have been begging, f*ck the screen resolution, improve battery life

TheLastPanda and TadMSTR like this.
  5. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,827   +546

And how accurate was that? Many batteries today jump quickly up to about 80%, then slow down quite a bit, so unless the battery itself can calculate that based on the current input power and provide that back, the OS is not likely to know it. Socket chargers, car chargers, battery degrading, there is no way to predict the charge time unless the battery can calculate that.

6. TadMSTR

TadMSTR TS Rookie

JuicePlotter has a widget that can do this. It also gives an estimate of how many hours you have left of battery power. It takes several charge cycles to get 100% accuracy and tells you the current level of accuracy. It's based on your usage and history of charge times. So the more the feature is used, the more accurate it becomes at predicting times.

Edit: Just reread your post. The OS does the calculations, not the battery. The OS has access to battery stats, like current mV reading.

7. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,085   +715

I agree... I always have to plug my phone in during the day. Looks like Google got sick of being beaten down by Apple in this category. I wonder if the battery improvement would still be noticeable from playing games. It's great if the OS uses less power, but games are what kills my battery the most.

From what I've read, the new generation of phones that run off the Snapdragon 800 or 801 do really well with battery. I think that'll include the Galaxy S5, HTC M8, LG G2 and G3, and the new Sony one... Z2 or something, I don't remember. Anandtech.com does good battery life tests in their reviews.

8. misor

misor TS Maniac Posts: 1,016   +153

Android L?
    it just entered my mind. android kitkatl to L to M (M&M)?

Microsoft windows phone OS running smoothly on entry level windows phone.
    now google is implementing it for its entry-level hardware. cool...very cool.

wow. a more efficient software delivering two additional hours on the same hardware spec. impressive.
    if only laptop/tablet/smartphone battery manufacturers will upgrade their tech so we can now have devices running straight for a week or so without daily charging.

9. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,498   +306

After a few charges the OS seems to get the hang of things and seems pretty accurate.

Yeah, I still prefer things like that to be integrated into the OS though, it seemed pretty accurate after a few charges, gives you all the usual graphs and what was taking power at what time, In Android L it just kinda works and is on by default.

I'm even more tempted to get a One plus One now :/

10. misor

misor TS Maniac Posts: 1,016   +153

edit:
    Android L?
    it just entered my mind. android kitkat to L to M (M&M) to N to O (Oreo)?

@Burty117, is 'a one plus one' = htc one or another smartphone?

Capaill likes this.
  11. Capaill

Capaill TS Rookie Posts: 84   +13

Wow, I never noticed the alphabetical versions before.
    Alpha, Beta, Cupcake, Doughnut, Eclair, Froyo, Gingerbread, Honeycomb, IceCream Sandwich, Jelly Bean, Kitkat ...

I'd guess Liquorice but it's too hard to spell :)

12. TrueBooleanFals

TrueBooleanFals TS Member Posts: 52

Ladyfingers! I love tiramisu!

EDIT: Oh, and I love my Note 3. Much better life than my S3. I can go nearly two days before a recharge, with same usage as the S3; Can't wait for a lower powered version of Android.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  13. robertocarlus

robertocarlus TS Rookie

Cmon L Preview, you can get to 50%, lets go Devs keep up the good work. Hopefully by October we'll have 50% extra battery!! :)

14. Camikazi

Camikazi TS Enthusiast Posts: 348   +57

OnePlus One is a new phone that runs Cyanogenmod from factory, it is also rather low priced for the hardware and overall a great phone.

misor likes this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.