Android M finally brings in native visual voicemail

Dieter Holger

At long last Android will have native support for visual voicemail. Android M, the next major release of Google's mobile OS, will be the first version to offer built-in visual voicemail, according to Android Police. The feature conveniently lists your voicemails in an app so you can listen to or delete them. In Android M, the visual voicemail menu will be accessible from a tab inside the dialer app.

Native visual voicemail has existed in the iPhone's Phone app ever since the original model launched back in 2007 exclusively on AT&T. For Android, carriers have had to offer individually created visual voicemail apps -- which sometimes could cost extra. But now Google is asking carriers to support the upcoming Android M's visual voicemail instead. Only T-Mobile and the French cell provider Orange have jumped on the bandwagon so far. Thankfully, fellow cell networks have months to prepare for the release of Android M's visual voicemail.

Android M, which was unveiled at Google's I/O developer conference, will likely be released in September of this year. Alongside numerous bug fixes, Android M will be equipped with a memory manager, simplified app permissions, a web browser more akin to Chrome, an NFC-enabled payment app called Android Pay, a fingerprint reader system and a power saver named Doze.

Here's a screenshot of Android M's visual voicemail from Android Police.

Permalink to story.

After reading the title, the concept of "visual voicemail" lit my imagination so, as I didn't know what it is, I read the article quite thoroughly. In the end I couldn't say what visual voicemail is.

Now... I'm not great, but rather good with computers and technology. From what I gather, some of the iPhone users should understand what it is. As I am in the Android camp, I guess... well I am left to keep guessing...

So, dear Dieter -- nice article but try being clearer, please

Essentially, instead of having to call a number to listen to your voice mails eg. skipping past ones that you've already heard & 'press 3 to delete' nonsense, they will be itemised in an app style so you can see and listen to them individually.

The fact that visual voicemail has been out since 2007 and you "guest" had no idea what it was until now means you don't need a "clearer" explanation of what it is from this article because you obviously will never use it. you should know what it is by now.

Give the bloke a chance. Why would he have an idea about it when he states he is an android user irrelevant that it has been available for apple users since 2007. "You will obiviously never use it? Given that it will be finally available to android, may be he will

When I read visual voicemail I thought it was about sending a video voicemail, guess I was wrong.

Back