Android on nearly 80% of smartphones shipped in Q2 2013

Scorpus

Staff member

android google apple microsoft ios windows phone idc blackberry smartphone market share

Android market share has risen significantly in Q2 2013, as it was the operating system of choice on a staggering 79.3% of all smartphones shipped during the period, according to IDC. The gains came at the expense of iOS, BlackBerry and Symbian, while Windows Phone was the only other OS to post a rise in share for the quarter.

IDC: Top smartphone operating systems, shipments, and market share, 2013 Q2 (units in millions)

Operating System 2Q13 Unit Shipments 2Q13 Market Share 2Q12 Unit Shipments 2Q12 Market Share Year-over-Year Change
Android 187.4 79.3% 108 69.1% 73.5%
iOS 31.2 13.2% 26 16.6% 20.0%
Windows Phone 8.7 3.7% 4.9 3.1% 77.6%
BlackBerry OS 6.8 2.9% 7.7 4.9% -11.7%
Linux 1.8 0.8% 2.8 1.8% -35.7%
Symbian 0.5 0.2% 6.5 4.2% -92.3%
Others N/A 0.0% 0.3 0.2% -100.0%
Total 236.4 100.0% 156.2 100.0% 51.3%

Year-over-year the smartphone market grew 51.3%, from 156 million shipments in Q2 2012 to over 236 million this year; 187 million of those were Android devices.

iOS took the second place with 31 million shipments and 13.2% of the market. This is down from the 16.6% share Apple had a year ago. The company actually shipped a few million more devices this past quarter, but it didn't grow as fast as Android or the rest of the smartphone market for that matter, thus losing market share.

Windows Phone appears firmly planted in third place with 8.7 million shipments and 3.7% of the market, to post the largest year-over-year change of 77.6%.

The worst performers for this period were BlackBerry, shipping fewer phones and losing market (2.9% down from 4.9%), and Symbian, which posted a whopping 92.3% drop year-over-year. Nokia's legacy OS was on just 500K of the shipped units for the period, down from 6.5 million.

IDC: Top Android smartphone vendors, shipments, and market share, 2013 Q2 (units in millions)

Vendor 2Q13 Unit Shipments 2Q13 Market Share 2Q12 Unit Shipments 2Q12 Market Share Year-over-Year Change
Samsung 73.3 39.1% 48 44.4% 52.7%
LG 12.1 6.5% 5.8 5.4% 108.6%
Lenovo 11.4 6.1% 4.9 4.5% 132.7%
Huawei 10.2 5.4% 6.5 6.0% 56.9%
ZTE 10.2 5.4% 6.4 5.9% 59.4%
Others 70.2 37.5% 36.4 33.7% 92.9%
Total 187.4 100.0% 108.0 100.0% 73.5%

The top Android vendor in Q2 2013 was, unsurprisingly, Samsung which according to IDC shipped more than twice the units of Apple (73.3 million versus 31.2 million). Other manufacturers in the top five might surprise you: LG, Lenovo, Huawei and ZTE, each with 10-12 million units shipped; it seems that a strong low- and mid-range portfolio is doing very well for these companies. Major OEMs such as HTC and Motorola are included in the "Other" group, which makes up the other 37.5% of the Android segment.

Also unsurprising was Nokia's dominance among Windows Phone vendors, holding 81.6% of the Windows Phone market for 7.1 million units shipped. Samsung, HTC and Huawei each shipped 1 million or fewer Windows Phones for the quarter. Nokia's continued focus on high-quality Windows Phones should continue to push the platform upwards, after capturing the third place while BlackBerry looks to slip further.

Permalink to story.

Is the Nexus 4 considered an LG phone or an "Others" phone? And how come HTC doesn't get its own vendor category?

Is the Nexus 4 considered an LG phone or an "Others" phone? And how come HTC doesn't get its own vendor category?
Presumably because it didn't garner enough shipments.

We saw this exact thing happen in the PC market in the 1980's. Apple had the Mac, which was first and awesome, but they didn't let anyone put Apple OS on their own PCs. Meanwhile Microsoft comes out with Windows 95 and lets everyone (like Dell, Gateway, HP, Acer...) use it for a fee. Software makers sided with the Windows platform because more PCs were running it and Apple decides to fire Steve Jobs and only sell computers to schools. Years later they rehired Jobs, who then helped Apple recover with the iMac.

Apple is pulling the same stunt today by not allowing other makers to use iOS. They won't have the same software problem though because the Apple App store isn't a smaller market like Apple software was in the 80s because the iPhone was superior for so long.

Still, right now, it looks a little like we're watching Apple make the same mistake all over again, only they can't call up Steve for another grand-slam product idea.

Apple still makes the most profit of any of the smartphone companies so they must be doing something right. The iPhone 5C will help them regain market share.

True that Apple still does ask for more money than the true value of each phone, but what would help you sleep after a hard day at work, having sold 73 million handsets or knowing that your company made a few dollars more profit per handset on just 31 million?

The chart shows that Apple lost market share to the tune of 3.4%, or the equivalent loss of 8 million handsets. Not being able to shift 8 million handsets when your share of the market is 31 million is substantial. In the battle between Apple vs. Android the victory is clear.

But I wouldn't count Apple out of the race just yet.

Apple still makes the most profit of any of the smartphone companies so they must be doing something right. The iPhone 5C will help them regain market share.

Yes, they are doing many things right, but where they are isn't as important as where they're headed. Their stock price was as high as $700 last Aug/Sept, but is now at $450. When they released their last quarterly numbers, they were good, but profit still went down because they are making less per phone sold. That is because they are selling more older models and fewer iPhone 5's because the markets where the iPhone is selling well, like China, doesn't have a population that can afford a new iPhone 5.

They need more variety... different sizes, different models, and different prices. People aren't going to continue to buy new $600 iPhones just to get a new feature that has been included in Android phones for the last 18 months.

I never owned Windows smart phone yet, did think about it. But nah Android ones were just like the tablets I started working with in 2010. I had a few since then. I am not saying the Android smart phone is 100% but more like 80 to 90% they still need to work out a few glitches.

So now it's the future we all have smartphones running Android, Apple or Windows to replace the payphone, land-line phone and the walkies-talkie or CB.

Just makes life tough now you have to carry the smartphone with you before you leave the house. I am bad I usually leave at home. When I need to use it not with me! LOL

The saddest part of this whole thing, is that if Nokia did not sign a contract with Microsoft to only use the WP OS. Nokia would be making money selling lots of phones like Samsung.

Too bad for Nokia!

Due to patent ownership, I believe Apple gets a piece of Android sales as well. So it is kinda win win for them.

Brainwashing marketing. And charging double what the competition does.

Back