Android OS malware and viruses?

So what's the deal with all the malware, viruses, etc. on the Android OS? I was thinking about switching to a Galaxy 4 from my current iPhone. But I've been reading so much about threats to Android, like malware that can send texts without you knowing (which you have to pay for), plus logging your keystrokes, recording from your microphone...really scary stuff.

Anybody have any insight on what's going on? Do you regular users have to worry about that stuff? And how do you protect yourself?

Regular users don't have to really worry about it. It's only a problem if you tick the box that lets you install apps not from the app store... then they go and search online for apps and download viruses.

I was reading that some malicious apps are in the official Google Play store - not a lot. But they are there and masquerade as legit apps. Plus, can't you get viruses from text messages and emails? At that point wouldn't it be a good idea to have an anti-virus app like those BitDefender or Norton - just in case?

Mod note: removed spam link. -SNGX1275

1. Malicious apps in the store: yes, you are correct, some bad apps manage to slip through the automated screening process and appear in the Google Play Store. However, if you exercise some caution and: read user comments; search the web for reviews; learn what the app is for - you can safeguard yourself. Basically, novice smartphone users shouldn't be downloading no-name random apps in the first place.
  2. Viruses from txt messages/emails: incorrect, you would need to open any message attachment for something to happen.
  3. Anti-virus app: can be a good idea, but if you take caution it is not required. Also, if you don't have a high-end phone this AV app can slow down your phone dramatically.

Back