Android users are the biggest data hogs

By Emil
Dec 8, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. A new study has compared the data consumption of users of newer smartphones, including the BlackBerry Bold 9700, the Google Nexus One, the HTC Desire, the Sony Ericsson Xperia, and the Apple iPhone 4, against the iPhone 3G as a "normalised benchmark." Network management firm Arieso has highlighted the emergence of a new breed of mobile subscribers in the post-iPhone3G era. The company found that voice calls per subscriber have remained roughly flat, suggesting that these subscribers use their devices first and foremost for data consumption rather than for making phone calls.

Read the whole story
  2. peperonikiller

peperonikiller TechSpot Member Posts: 75

I bet it has something to do with all the free apps that have ad support in them.. they have to be constantly connected to data to download the cycling ad's
  3. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

That's a good point. The carriers are probably losing out that's why they're angry. They get money from the advertiser, the user gets a "free" app, and the carrier ends up paying for the app by providing the bandwidth for the ads in unlimited data plans.

I think most people will get pretty mad if they have to end up paying for the ads they view on their phone.
  4. princeton

princeton TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,716

Unlimited data plans. Your hilarious. Unless your grandfathered no such thing exists.
  5. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

Android apps being able to have *true* multi-tasking probably accounts for some of this. It is also far easier (read: practical) to tether most Android phones than the iPhone as well.
  6. peperonikiller

peperonikiller TechSpot Member Posts: 75

Although if you hate ads search the markey for AdFree Android. Blocks A LOT of ads.
  7. MrAnderson

MrAnderson TechSpot Maniac Posts: 488   +10

Android gives you more freedom with how you access data. I think you can download and store things on your phone from the web. That would probably be the main ingredient for consuming a lot of data. If iPhone allowed it I would do it on that platform and considering you can get 32G space I would imagine that iPhone users might become the worst ofenders.

Often I think that many apps should cache (would save on the downloading) some of the data so when you don't have service you can at least operate the app. That means you google maps. I live in NYC, why don't you cache the tiles so I can at least navigate the map by site until I can look for addresses later when you reload? I can see how that might not be what Google would like, as we are probably giving them feedback for every action we are performing in the map app.
  8. matrix86

matrix86 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 800   +8

I got my phone last year from t-mobile, and have an unlimited data plan. I'm upgrading my phone, and still keeping the unlimited data plan. So it's not extinct as you make it out to be.
  9. princeton

princeton TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,716

Mmhmm. And when these providers roll out 4G(NOT LTE) they'll make sure to remove that when you upgrade :p
  10. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

Sprint still offers it. So does T-mobile, both considered to be major carriers. You may want to do a tad bit of research before making absolute statements.
  11. Verizon, True unlimited plan... been over 5GB plenty of times, doubt it would cap at 10GB even.

12. vangrat

vangrat Newcomer, in training Posts: 223

All I have to say to everyone above me, you are all a bunch of Whingers!

Keep doing it, nothing ever changed by staying silent.
  13. vangrat

vangrat Newcomer, in training Posts: 223

wtf...okay my above post, is redacted...I had another article open and it posted to this one...wtf?!
  14. PC nerd

PC nerd TechSpot Booster Posts: 320   +36

True unlimited plans don't exist. They just have an excessively large amount of data allowance.
  15. Cryptopsy

Cryptopsy Newcomer, in training Posts: 47

Normal behavior, iphone users have learn to do it from home... with cracked apps
  16. Leeky

Leeky TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +98

Mine with T-Mobile is also unlimited. It is subject to "fair use", but T-Mobile did inform me that, the fair use limit is 25GB, which is frankly huge for a mobile phone! :haha:

The reason I wanted to be clear was because I use the HSDPA (or however its spelt) connection for tethering with my MSI laptop when out and about. I wanted a truly unlimited data plan for that reason. I love the phone's Wireless Access Point mode as well, it makes life so simple. :)

Also, Android mobiles are "always-on", so its hardly surprising they're using so much data - My weather on my front screen must update two to three times an hour alone. You factor in all the content updating, as well as the data your using in general use, and its going to add up.

I recently calculated my broadband usage over a months billing cycle, and I came to realise I'd downloaded over 200GB inside 28 days. It is very surprising how it can all add up. :haha: I'm not saying I do that every month, but it does beg the question as to how much I download in an average day.
  17. isamuelson

isamuelson Newcomer, in training Posts: 96

Verizon for the 3g phones still has unlimited for $29.99 a month. Not grandfathered in at all. Now, for the 4g phones, no unlimited packages.
  18. Tizzlejack

Tizzlejack Newcomer, in training Posts: 26

Since I can't browse this site at work, I use my phone.
    As a former iOS user, I can tell you that Android has the best experience for browsing the web. With flash support, the internet functions as it should (which might also contribute to the data hogging). I will never go back!!!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.